I'm Officially a Beekeeper!

Default I'm Officially a Beekeeper!

Bought 2 hives and equipment from a friend today who is selling out. We went through both his hives and they looked good. These 2 hives are 4 years old. Interesting that the only treatment he has used for varroa mites is sugar dusting using a flour sifter.

He had queen excluders on both hives from last year and there was 3 medium supers full of honey. We removed the supers and I brought them home to extract (I've never done this). A question, when I got home there were no bees on the honey but I did see a SHB. What should I do to take care of this honey till I extract it (hopefully next weekend)?

When I went back at dusk one hive was bearding a little even after dark so we added a super to give them more room and I'll go back another night to move that hive. So I only brought back one hive tonight.

This is the first time I've went through frames in a bee hive. After removing the honey supers my buddy pulled a frame from the middle of the brood. He says here is pollen, larvae, and eggs. I looked at the bees on the frame and there was the queen! So I'm not sure why folks struggle to find queens.......I spotted her on the first frame of brood I ever seen! <smile>

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: I'm Officially a Beekeeper!

Here is a question: should I feed these bees after the move? I live in NW Arkansas.

Glad you got those hives. I use sugar to supplement honey during late winter when the colony has brood to keep warm and will not move around much to reach stores. Pollen.com says you should be in an early flow and may not need to feed. You could also put about 1/2 box of honey on each hive and keep 2 boxes for your use. I try to let the bees use honey rather than feed with sugar.

Congrats.

Sometimes she's easy, sometimes she's hard. Seems if she knows you're in there she will be around side of comb, that way she can slip to the other side real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeAttitudes View Post
    Here is a question: should I feed these bees after the move? I live in NW Arkansas.
    I would think your pollen and nectar should be coming in by now, but it is still a good idea to feed a new hive even if it is only for a little while. Maybe give them a gallon and then if they are building up pretty well, just pull the feeder off and put a honey super. Never feed while honey supers are on.

With established hives containing the amount of honey that you described, I would not feed. I agree with Jbraun, you can always take one of the full supers to split between the two hives.

I do not have much to add, as far as keeping the honey frames for a week with visible hive beetles. I normally extract the same day we remove the frames from the hives.
    Donny

I have never understood how folks can't find the queen or see eggs, I was able to do this from day one. However, beekeeping has humbled me many times over since day one. Good luck with your bees.
    Natural Beekeeping Information at
    http://georgefamilycrafts.com/