extracting from a plastic foundation

Cool extracting from a plastic foundation

First timer here. When it comes time to extract honey-
    Is the only way to extract honey from a plastic based foundation by way of a spinning extractor?
    I really don't want to try and cut all the comb of both sides of the plastic foundation so it can be crushed.
    I did watch the guy flinging the frame inside the clear tote on a rope. I don't see me doing this without a disastrous ending.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: extracting from a plastic foundation

Use an uncapping knife and take the wax off the top. I suggest using a heated uncapping knife. Stick the frame in your extractor and spin away. Take the empty frames and put them in the yard and within a few hours the bees will have them cleaned. As night falls gather the supers of empty frames and store them.

It may not be the only way, but it's the best way. If cost is a factor, you can make a pretty serviceable extractor with some pails and a little hardware and a power drill. Look around online for some plans.

>Is the only way to extract honey from a plastic based foundation by way of a spinning extractor?

No. But that is one way.

>I really don't want to try and cut all the comb of both sides of the plastic foundation so it can be crushed.

Take a rubber spatula and it comes off pretty easily if you want to avoid buying an extractor.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF