3D printed beekeeping tools - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: 3D printed beekeeping tools

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrellyOne View Post
    Are there any other common tools or parts that you think could benefit from having a freely share-able, remix-able design out there?
    How about a push-in introduction cage?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

If you do a push in cage. I would leave holes for steel brads and do them as a add. Do the border and the wire in the plastic. Just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceGirl View Post
    Can you use BPA-free plastic? ... I just wish there were 3D printers for metal or wood.
    I actually almost exclusively use PLA (poly-lactic acid), which is a carbon-neutral, BPA free, and made from a renewable resource (corn). In the right hot, humid conditions it will even biodegrade after a few years. It's plenty safe for use with incidental contact with food.

There are some 3D printer filament stocks that contain significant portions of wood fiber, the rest is PLA. There are also metal 3D printers, but they are mondo expensive and work by welding individual sand-like grains of metal with a high power laser.
    -Squirrel 2x8 Frame Langs USDA Zone 6a

Quote Originally Posted by marshmasterpat View Post
    So if someone has a 3D printer and a design downloaded from Thingiverse, they could print up one of those item?

Is that correct?
    Yes, that is correct. If you come to Houston, I'll show one to you.

Yes, a push in cage with some way to get the queen in without wrestling Would be good.
    Since '09-75H-T-Z6b

And maybe one end with a bit of queen excluder and space for a cork to close it off.

Any of the standard bee gadgets we can buy on ebay or amazon and can make don't need to print them.
    No sense to unless you are testing the printer out. As far as I know they can print out the
    mini houses already with the concrete as the filler. Something I would like to see is more expensive to buy but cheaper
    to print such as a wax roller for small cell foundation, full deep removable grafting frame to separate the young larva so no need
    to do a graft, a half-way drawn out cells on foundation or just a starter strip drawn out. Anything that saves time and expensive to
    buy is good to print. A faster printer will justify the initial cost if it is for production purposes. I'm sure one day that time will come. We'll
    be sharing 3d printer Bee files by then.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

You might be able to print a jenter style queen system.

Are media suitable for constructing models for investment casting (typically wax) available for these printers? If so converting the model to metals with reasonable melting points is fairly easy. Add an inlet runner and air vents to the model, cover it with clay or clay/plaster mixture, place it in an oven hot enough to evaporate the model, remove it from the oven and pour molten metal into the still hot mold. Since the mold is used hot (and thus expanded) it is usually not necessary to make allowance for shrinkage.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by whiskers View Post
    Are media suitable for constructing models for investment casting (typically wax) available for these printers? ...
    Bill
    Investment wax isn't readily available, but the PLA I generally print with can be burned off at similar (slightly higher) temperatures as wax, allowing it to be used like a lost wax investment. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I plan to follow this guy's general method: http://3dtopo.com/lostPLA/

I like the idea of making an introduction cage, and agree with MySmokePole about using wire brads. I'd probably just print and edge and mesh and push in the nails afterward with a dab of glue on the head.

To other commenters, this stuff isn't to stop people from spending money on a cheap queen catcher or anything. I'm just doing this to entertain myself and scratch the itch while I wait for my package bees to arrive. These models won't be practical for almost anyone (unless they have a 3D printer sitting next to their desk all day).
    -Squirrel 2x8 Frame Langs USDA Zone 6a

Will it print hundred dollar bills to help pay for itself??
    John Pluta http://GeorgiaBees.blogspot.com Common Sense KISS Beekeeping Treated Boxes Bees Full Frames Foundation

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrellyOne View Post
    These models won't be practical for almost anyone (unless they have a 3D printer sitting next to their desk all day).
    Most aren't really practical even with a donated printer sitting next to me. Each print isn't perfect and it isn't really smooth like injection molding. Maybe i need a better $$ machine. Now, how can I get one of those CNC routers donated????

Squirrel I just started a thread for a 3D printed bucket feeder floating disc. I would sure love to have your input!

https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...-floating-disc

Don

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12