Deer? Vandals? We shall see. - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Deer? Vandals? We shall see.

if it's kids, turn it into an education they are probably testing their fears, I wacked a few hornets nests with a stick when I was a kid just because my friends didn't think I was brave enough. Talk to their parents and let them know that if the kid agrees to suit up and help you fix the problem you won't press charges.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Harley, this would be an approach I'd consider. Again....I'm hoping for deer or raccoons....or it stops.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Never understood the destruction of things other people have worked for... Bad parenting?
    I too am embarrassed to admit I did some of those things when I was a young teenager. Not out of being mean but being bored/impulsive and not understanding the consequences. I got caught a and the education was quick. Fortunately, those who I'd wronged held my feet to the fire in a respectable/reasonable manner. It was more than I deserved and I learned my lesson well.

Contriteness can go a long way.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Maybe as cluster climbs in late winter, center of gravity gets higher and tipsy in wind? Rest of the box is light from giving up its honey source all winter and bingo- here comes a stiff wind? Tie it down if not already and maybe add a wind break. cuple of bales of hay on windward side.

Love a good mystery but this happened to some friends last years and they were just too high off ground. 10 frame deeps or 8 mediums? Then there is always infa red, power fence, night stalking etc and all the fun stuff. Good luck. The fact they were not kicked around too much sees like a very gentle raccoon or very nice vandals. Haven't met any yet. good luck! B

Quote Originally Posted by bugmeister View Post
    Maybe as cluster climbs in late winter, center of gravity gets higher and tipsy in wind? Rest of the box is light from giving up its honey source all winter and bingo- here comes a stiff wind?
    When there's another dozen beeyards that haven't had a problem....and the first such series of tipovers in fifteen years, it seems to me that it isn't likely that these were my only top heavy hives. But...you may be right. Just an ugly coincidence that they all occurred in this one beeyard this year. As I said....I'm keeping an open mind.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Any pictures yet?

Nothing new. The only photos from the game camera are of me approaching to exchange memory cards.
    This picture is a partial view of the yard taken from my cell phone. If you look closely at the tree on the left you can see the game camera. Behind me are another half dozen hives and then heavy overgrowth.

I've thought a bit about this. When I checked the yard on Saturday and found another one of the hives overturned there were a handful of hunters nearby with a posse of beagles. They were in the process of loading up to leave. I do wonder if a pile of dogs ripping all over the property might have encouraged much of the wildlife to move.

Just my opinion, but if your camera is where I think it is; I'd consider moving it to some place higher or less noticeable. We have a large problem in our area of people taking other people's trail cams- the main reason I have never invested in them. Never had a need for them anyway because I find what I need to know by scouting weeks prior to the hunting season.

I can see setting a few up now though, especially on the new property for both game and miscreants. Regardless, if it disappears you can rule out critter causes, but I'd hate to see anyone lose their gear.
    Year 2 Zone 6a

it could have been the beagles.

I did have it better concealed David unfortunately it was too far to trigger dependably. So I put it nearby and as you pointed out, if it disappears I'll know what but still not who(m?), I'm sort of hoping that the addition of straps on the hives would distract them enough that they might miss the camera.

I might add that in every case the hives were tipped over from back to front. There's not much space behind them, so I could imagine a deer brushing up against them.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Craig View Post
    it could have been the beagles.
    It would have had to have been a team effort....those were little guys.

Quote Originally Posted by D Coates View Post
    I too am embarrassed to admit I did some of those things when I was a young teenager. Not out of being mean but being bored/impulsive and not understanding the consequences. I got caught a and the education was quick. Fortunately, those who I'd wronged held my feet to the fire in a respectable/reasonable manner. It was more than I deserved and I learned my lesson well.

Contriteness can go a long way.
    Same here. All I will say about my offense is that learning how to use an old hand tire pump all day long is a very memorable experience.

It would be hard to miss in broad daylight.

I see your point about the straps- almost have to loosen them before you could tip them, although it probably wouldn't deter a bear. In any event, I wish you luck. I'm real curious to find out the cause.
    Year 2 Zone 6a

I've been a hunter for 100 years seems like. Deer can literally turn in thier own skin. Doubt very much that it was a deer. Most every deer in that area know exactly where your hives are. Tipped from the back indicates human intellegence since they know where the entrance/exit is. Heaven forbid they get stung.
    Could also be bigfoot or aliens. lol

MR.Beeman: " Could also be bigfoot or aliens". lol Ya I thought about aliens too but didn't say anything. Besides, if my brother thought that beehives attracted extraterrestrials, I'd have to find a new plot- he has a deep fear of them. Haha.
    Year 2 Zone 6a

I doubt it was a deer. I have hives where deer are thick and never had a problem with them. But had a car last Friday night drive to the back of my hay field and knock over a hive stand with three hives on it [tire tracks right against the stand] and cut doughnuts in the field and came real close to another stand.
    I'm going to do the camera thing and am going to use two cameras one obvious and one hidden to catch the one being stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by sterling View Post
    I'm going to do the camera thing and am going to use two cameras one obvious and one hidden to catch the one being stolen.
    The idea of having two cameras, one obvious and one better concealed, crossed my mind. I may wish I had done it.

It look's like the camera is too high, it might trigger a person's head but an animal might be too low to trigger it. About 1/2 that height should work.
    And If it's coons, I bet they are visiting your apiary every other night, whether they are knocking over boxes or not.

I try to hang my cameras lower in the tree, you will lose fewer that way. Yours is currently about eye lever making it easier to spot. If I were doing what you are I would put it no more than 12 to 18" above ground level. That way you can put some limbs, small branches, grass etc. around the camera to make it less noticeable. Make sure not to cover the sensor. The clump of two or three trees at the base of the tree you currently have it in would work well or the tree that has the curved trunk about 5 or 10 feet to the left of the tree you currently have it in. Be sure to remove any tall grass or branches from directly in front of the camera. On a windy day their motion can trigger the camera. Think stealth
    I would also leave something on the ground that would help to attract their attention. Even if it was just a white or yellow 5 gal bucket or some type of box or anything else that would naturally draw a persons eye away from the area where your camera is located.
    Last edited by devil dog; 03-04-2015 at 03:17 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast