How would you have responded? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: How would you have responded?

Quote Originally Posted by dsegrest View Post
    Even moving queen cells (swarm cells) a few feet into a queen castle there is a danger of damaging the queen.

Doesn't sound like a good return on the money by the time the losses are absorbed.

One can move cells a long distance if they are the right age and handled carefully so I don't think this would be an issue.

I do agree that the losses would be so great that any savings would be long overlooked when the final results become apparent.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Sell people what they want.
    Sound like a quote from myself from a post a while back............ Seeing how the love of having people becoming marginally successful with bees is quite a bit stronger than my greed inclination I think that sometimes its best pass......... or give advice that the wannabee "beeicider" should highly consider.

I would like to have seen a video of them dividing the bulk bees.

I think it will work if they install the bees into bee tight equipment and not open them until the cells have hatched. Not ideal for the inexperienced.

Quote Originally Posted by shinbone View Post
    " . . . and just don't have the bucks to buy packages."

If they don't have the money to buy a package of bees, I would then gently suggest they should first put their efforts into getting better jobs.
    In the portion of California where the majority of the people vote for the "hand out" party its a little bit of a stretch to expect this I'd say.

In the past I have hired people who grew up in "the projects" in the same area. Walking off in the middle of the day without letting anyone know because they had "something better to do" was not an uncommon occurrence with this crowd. Needless to say doing so does not generally lead to the pay scale you speak of.

Kind of analogous in a way. I tried to explain there were about 100 reasons why the price of a cell is $5 and the price of a queen pushes over 20. Some people never do get the concept that whats "free" really isn't!

Bulk bees work great for splits IF you know what you are doing.If not, there is a big learning curve!

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    Sound like a quote from myself from a post a while back............ Seeing how the love of having people becoming marginally successful with bees is quite a bit stronger than my greed inclination I think that sometimes its best pass......... or give advice that the wannabee "beeicider" should highly consider.
    "A fool and his money will soon be parted." (which some are saying about the Flow Hive.) I'm just getting to the stage where everything is for sale and if someone wants to pay enough for what I have they can buy it. I sure wouldn't give it to them cheap.

If one is unsure what to do, passing on a sale is perfectly fine and understandable. One never knows the backlash that may occur from any sale. I sold perfectly good nucs to someone I considered a competent beekeeper once and it didn't turn out well for me. So ya never know.
    Mark Berninghausen

I sell hives, nucs and bulk bees sometimes. Warre hive, top bar,small cell, treatment free are big red flags to me.But hey , its their money to keep or spend as they please. I feel sorry for the bees sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by loggermike View Post
    I sell hives, nucs and bulk bees sometimes. Warre hive, top bar,small cell, treatment free are big red flags to me.But hey , its their money to keep or spend as they please. I feel sorry for the bees sometimes.
    TREATMENT FREE are my favorite customers, They come back every year sometimes twice.
    My red flag concern is when they ask can I split them weekly or monthly? Here's your sign
    John Pluta http://GeorgiaBees.blogspot.com Common Sense KISS Beekeeping Treated Boxes Bees Full Frames Foundation

For fun you should post that comment in the "treatment free" forum!! Hahahaha!

Yes Phil I was thinking about the mating. Tell you what though, I sure would like to hive on the fun. Imagine shaking 8 pounds of bees for 1 queen cell. That would be a the upper limit on the 50-100 pound bulk order. This could be interesting for a seasoned beekeeper. Probably even more interesting to watch from a distance if they are a newbie. lol. I would not let it happen. A great risk of failure from people who probably do not know what they are getting into.

If they cannot afford packages then they cannot afford beekeeping. It is not a cheap venture to get into. As the buyer it will be a huge disappointment when the $30/lb times 50 pounds, so $1500 plus cells and any other pluses. That works out to more than a package. Less bees, minus laying queen. Somebody is off on their math. That works out to more than $100 per tbh nearly doomed for failure from the start. Expensive lesson. Unfortunately because of inexperience they may not even comprehend what happened. Probably will not forget that sting though.

You probably would not give a kid a motorcycle capable of speeds of 200 mph for his first ride. Inexperience and risk weigh heavily against the new driver, even if he has the money to buy the motorcycle.

Jean-Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    He had read an article by RO in the ABJ and it was going to be as easy as 1,2,3... Or so he thought.
    I will leave my personal comments for later on this one....
    Me too.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

How are they going to anchor the bees to the hives w/o queens. A cell seems unlikely to hold them.

Can you imagine the heat coming off 100# of bulk bees?
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    How are they going to anchor the bees to the hives w/o queens. A cell seems unlikely to hold them.
    Easy. Queen scent lure stick.
    Mark Berninghausen

If you decide to sell them the bees and cells and it doesn't work out....tell them to call RO.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

"He had read an article by RO in the ABJ and it was going to be as easy as 1,2,3... Or so he thought."

But Randy used mated queens, not cells in this instance.

3 or 4 lbs on drawn comb with feed and a brand new caged queen works real well .Cells, not so much
    Cells are great, but require different methods.

I'm reminded of the character off of the show " once upon a time" Rumplestilskin always says " everything comes with a price deary"

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    If you decide to sell them the bees and cells and it doesn't work out....tell them to call RO.
    I do have a "RO" cell number listed in my phone but I think a little pre filter would save the ensuing hassle that would most certainly be sure to arise if I pass it along. Not going to happen....

Marks idea of using QMP would be a helpful move for someone bee-bent on self destruction. Nice suggestion... Hadn't thought about that even though we use 4 or 5 hundred pieces a year in the mating nucs.

I think a blind paraplegic would have better odds of taking out the moon with a 22 than this crazy idea has of succeeding. Some ideas should just be set aside. Way aside!!!!!!!!

Although I am not a fan of this proposal, a small addition MIGHT shift the odds enough to make it feasible:

100lbs of bees, 12 cells AND 12 frames of eggs.

With the right timing, a lucky person might be able to retrieve the frame that was eggs, now with cells, and split each hive the day the queen hatches(note previously mentioned timing issue). It would be crazy, but the frame of eggs greatly improves the odds of success.

Crazy Roland

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast