8 Frame hives

Thread: 8 Frame hives

Default 8 Frame hives

I have a question, When I first started out with beek last year. I started out with 2- 8 Frame Medium hives. I guess they are more of the garden type hives. All my Frames in each box wether they be the 2 Medium Supers or the other 3 shallow supers have the 6 5/8" Frames in them, Should I have gotten the bigger Frames like the 9 5/8" which are more of a standard size for my 2 Supers.

Now I am wondering since I have my 5 Frame Nucs ready I need to get some Frames for them, What size would be better.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: 8 Frame hives

You lost me, You have 6 1/8" frames in 3 - 5 3/4 " supers??????

What size are your nucs--vertically? Deeps (the box not the frames) are 9 5/8", Mediums are 6 5/8", not sure of shallows since I don't use them, guess is 5 3/4". Do you have a set of 6 5/8" frames in two (or three) shallow supers with space below the frames, like several inches?
    Measure the depth of your nucs and get frames to fit them. You'll always need extra frames, especially if you catch a swarm or two. It's good insurance to have at least an extra complete nuc or complete hive for a swarm.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltapsryup View Post
    I have a question, When I first started out with beek last year. I started out with 2- 8 Frame Medium hives. I guess they are more of the garden type hives. All my Frames in each box wether they be the 2 Medium Supers or the other 3 shallow supers have the 6 5/8" Frames in them, Should I have gotten the bigger Frames like the 9 5/8" which are more of a standard size for my 2 Supers.

Now I am wondering since I have my 5 Frame Nucs ready I need to get some Frames for them, What size would be better.
    I saw your other post about the nuc boxes.
    What depth are they?
    My goal is to standardize on 8 frame medium hive bodies ... I am getting older & weaker every day
    I like that configuration( 8 frame mediums) but when I bought some nucs last year, all the nucs were "deep" frames so I bought some deep boxes, but they were 10 frame, so I rigged up 10 frame bottoms & tops.
    I seeded medium frames into the brood nests of the deeps, then when well laid with brood, transferred my seeded frames to medium nuc boxes.
    my 8 frame medium plan is pretty much shot. I am considering putting packages into the deep hive bodies, or splitting the ones I have bees in again & selling the stuff "not my size" as" hives with bees" to get back on track.
    your question ... your boxes & frames really need to match. deep frames in deep boxes, medium frames in medium boxes. When you do weird stuff with bee space, the bees do weird stuff with the comb.
    But it all has potential.
    Good luck
    CE

You should put the right frame in the right box. Unless you have a very good reason not to...

Extra shallow box 4 3/4" extra shallow frame 4 3/8"
    Shallow box 5 3/4" shallow frame 5 3/8"
    Medium box 6 5/8" medium frame 6 1/4"
    Deep box between 9 1/2" and 9 5/8" deep frames between 9 1/8" and 9 1/4"
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

The Vertical side walls on the Nucs are 9 5/8" So I should get 9 1/8" Frames to go in them correct

Secondly, my 8 Frame Medium Hives that I purchased from my bee guy, all came with 6 1/8" Frames. He did not sell me any 9 1/8" Frames for my Supers vs. Shallows they are all one size.. Should I change these out t the 9 1/8" Frames, or leave them in my Supers... I know at the time I purchased my hives he said he leaves the bottom three chambers for the bees. (meaning the 2 Supers and 1 shallow)Will it affect my bees. They seem o be doing fine well I will not exactly know until I can open my hives up in the spring. But if they are doing well should I fix it. Kinda like if it ain't broke don't fix it...

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltapsryup View Post
    What size would be better.
    Depends entirely how strong you are.

My own opinion is that 10 frame deep gear is better, more suited to a reasonable cluster size and shape once a few are stacked up. If one wants a good hive that will make lots of honey. But some people cannot deal with the lifting, so go smaller. Something to think about is that an 8 frame medium box is nearly 1/2 the internal volume of a 10 frame deep. So in theory at least to have a same size hive you would need twice as many boxes.

>Frames for my Supers vs. Shallows they are all one size.. Should I change these out t the 9 1/8" Frames, or leave them in my Supers...

I am confused about what you really mean here. Are you asking what size boxes to buy? If it was me, I would buy (and do buy) nothing but eight frame medium boxes and medium frames. All my frames are the same size. All my boxes are the same size.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#uniformframesize
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Depends entirely how strong you are.

My own opinion is that 10 frame deep gear is better, more suited to a reasonable cluster size and shape once a few are stacked up. If one wants a good hive that will make lots of honey. But some people cannot deal with the lifting, so go smaller. Something to think about is that an 8 frame medium box is nearly 1/2 the internal volume of a 10 frame deep. So in theory at least to have a same size hive you would need twice as many boxes.
    I was just told this exact same thing by our state bee inspector.... and that if the weight is a problem to just remove some frames before lifting ... he agreed that they deeps winter better

Quote Originally Posted by Shalva View Post
    ... he agreed that they deeps winter better
    I switched from deeps to all 10 frame medium boxes, and my bees overwinter just fine. Rather than box size I believe overwintering success depends mainly on hive placement, sufficient provisions, the health of the bees, proper ventilation and moisture control.

If you take care of those things your bees will be OK in any size box. Choose the size box that works best for "you".
    To everything there is a season....

> he agreed that they deeps winter better

I don't think there is a significant difference, but I would say mediums winter better if I had to choose.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#uniformframesize

Both Heddon and Hutchinson came to the conclusion that bees winter better in shallower boxes.