Pollen Pricing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pollen Pricing

Default Pollen Pricing

How many of you are selling pollen in addition to honey, and what prices are you getting? I've found it to be fairly profitable, limited only by the amount it's possible to safely take from the hive. Retail prices at local health food stores are in the $15 to $30/lb. range. This is for "fresh" pollen, which often isn't fresh in the store, but spoiled and sour, especially at the lower end of that price range. I used to retail mine at farmers' markets for $12 in a 5 oz. container, and sold all I produced. This was several years ago though, so perhaps I'd sell it for more today. Anyone getting more than that? Wholesale prices to the beekeeper in the Eugene, Oregon area are currently about $.75 to .95 per oz. for clean, fresh (i.e., not dried) pollen. So, fellow beekeepers, how are prices in your area?

I am also curious if any of you are selling pollen for spring buildup to other beeks. Anyone doing this? If so, what's your pricing like?
    Last edited by Adam Smith; 02-24-2015 at 12:04 AM. Reason: typo

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Pollen Pricing

sorry, don't have an answer for you Adam, but I want to follow this thread. I buy a 1# package out of CA for $15 that is supposedly from a treatment-free, "organic" apiary. I'd much prefer to get it local (VA) but the only one who sells it here was a lot more than that (and rightly so, it's good stuff). I plan to trap more of my own this year so I have it for my own consumption. I may give away a little bit to friends to get them to try it as a supplement, but I find it to be more valuable that local honey at this point.

I'm selling my pollen wholesale for $12/lb and $18/lb retail. There seems to be lots of potential for pollen sales.

Quote Originally Posted by canoemaker View Post
    I'm selling my pollen wholesale for $12/lb and $18/lb retail. There seems to be lots of potential for pollen sales.
    Is that wholesale right out of the trap or are you drying and cleaning it first? Any suggestions on quicker ways to clean and dry it?

Not finding a way to subscribe from mobile. Following.

What is the best pollen trap?

I like sundance traps.

Wholesale
    5 Gallon bucket 30 lbs. $300 $10 lb

Retail
    Bears 6 oz. $8
    1/2 Lb. $11
    1 Lb. $16

Pollen generally weighs 1/2 the weight of honey when dry.

Here in the Southeast US Small Hive Beetle Larva damage is enormous if traps not emptied at least every other day.
    John Pluta http://GeorgiaBees.blogspot.com Common Sense KISS Beekeeping Treated Boxes Bees Full Frames Foundation

Quote Originally Posted by pine_ridge_farms View Post
    Is that wholesale right out of the trap or are you drying and cleaning it first? Any suggestions on quicker ways to clean and dry it?
    I sell it frozen in 1lb and 2lb jars (honey weight--pollen is about half that). I collect it daily and spread it out on a white plastic board. Then, while wearing 3X reader glasses, I carefully look for bee parts, SHB, varroa mites, ants, and any other debris and pick them out with giant tweezers. Then I store it in large freezer containers. I bottle it as needed. I also use the sundance traps.

Here pollen for bees is selling from $8-$10 a pound.
    My question is this...don't your bees make good use of the pollen they bring in? By harvesting pollen is one shorting the hive?

For those that collect pollen how do you do it so it doesn't negatively impact the hive?
    Thanks.
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

Two words. Sundance traps.

Quote Originally Posted by Haraga View Post
    Two words. Sundance traps.
    In more than two words, Sundance traps are designed to be inefficient, trapping only about 50% of the pollen and leaving the rest for the bees.

Quote Originally Posted by WBVC View Post
    My question is this...don't your bees make good use of the pollen they bring in? By harvesting pollen is one shorting the hive?
    Thanks.
    Seeleys The wisdom of the hive has a section on Regulation of Pollen collection. Its well worth reading if you have access to the book. I am just building my first pollen trap so I can't talk from experience.
    Stephen 40+ hives. 6th year. Treat. Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by ruthiesbees View Post
    sorry, don't have an answer for you Adam, but I want to follow this thread. I buy a 1# package out of CA for $15 that is supposedly from a treatment-free, "organic" apiary. I'd much prefer to get it local (VA) but the only one who sells it here was a lot more than that (and rightly so, it's good stuff). I plan to trap more of my own this year so I have it for my own consumption. I may give away a little bit to friends to get them to try it as a supplement, but I find it to be more valuable that local honey at this point.

Tell me who it is and where they are located and I will help you determine their "organic" status.......

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    Tell me who it is and where they are located and I will help you determine their "organic" status.......
    http://www.mybzbodies.com/Pages/default.aspx. I don't buy it for the "organic" status. It's clean and still soft pellets when I get it, so I think they really do put it in the freezer right away. And it fits my budget. I can't stand the taste so I buy 00 size empty gel capsules and pack it myself.

For the pollen I collect myself off my topbar hives, I am using the larger plastic yellow/brown pollen trap. I empty it every day as the small ants seem to be my worst problem.

Quote Originally Posted by WBVC View Post

For those that collect pollen how do you do it so it doesn't negatively impact the hive?
    Thanks.
    Janne,

Thanks for the price info. I'm surprised it's not going for more there in Vancouver.

In good country, a strong hive with many foragers will ordinarily bring in more pollen than it can use. In that case, the surplus will just go to waste or even be harmful in plugging up the brood area, so there's no reason not to harvest it. Generally, it's a waste of time and equipment to put a trap on weak hives. Knowing when to trap, which hives to trap, and how much you can take without hurting the hive is something you have to discover for yourself, as it will differ a bit depending on area. Take too much and you will kill the hive. But of course, that's true of honey as well.

Canadian price is $7/lb still wet to the producer, all you can produce. The buyers simply cannot meet the demand of the consumers.

Jean-Marc

Make my own traps, after some reverse engineering, and modifications. cost about $40.00USA
    screen is the biggest expense
    We retail at .10 cents USA / gram for fresh pollen $46.00USA/lb
    I can't keep it in stock.
    We sell out as soon as I list it on Criagslist.

Down in Arizona my boys have hives on Russian Thistle now, this is our biggest contract to one buyer.

Arbol,

Can you PM me your reverse engineered pollen trap plans. I make most of my beekeeping equipment from lumber.
    Thanks in advance,
    Steve

What is the best/easiest way to clean pollen? I don't have time to pick out bad stuff with tweasers.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast