Heat Gun

Thread: Heat Gun

Question Heat Gun

Hi all,

Today a beek told me he's using a Heat Gun instead of a capping knife or a capping fork. Have you ever tried it? Doesn't it damage the comb?
    “The bee's life is like a magic well: the more you draw from it, the more it fills with water” ― Karl Von Frisch

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Heat Gun

Check it out on YouTube, lots of videos. FWIW, it didn't work well for me.

I've used one. Takes very little time to uncap with, however if you hold it too long in one spot it WILL damage the comb. One major downside is that if you don't make sure the wax drips off the frames, it will harden back and cause blow outs or partial extractions.

It will work in a pinch, but i'd rather use my roller capping puncher.. Works great.
    Thomas Bartram

Quote Originally Posted by drlonzo View Post
    It will work in a pinch, but i'd rather use my roller capping puncher.. Works great.
    Hmm... A puncher sounds like a great idea. I assume this doesn't take out all the capping but punctures it instead. And is this enough for the extractor to do its job properly?
    “The bee's life is like a magic well: the more you draw from it, the more it fills with water” ― Karl Von Frisch

Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    Hmm... A puncher sounds like a great idea. I assume this doesn't take out all the capping but punctures it instead. And is this enough for the extractor to do its job properly?
    Sometimes you have to take the frames out of the extractor and do sections again.

I Just place them on the conveyor and let the chains do their thing. no fuss no muss.

My buddy convinced me to try this once, not for me. The problem we had was by the time both sides were uncapped from the heat for multiple frames they would immediately have draining wax down the frames capping honey, by the time we started the extractor.
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat ;)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    I like mine very well. Takes only a few seconds for each frame. The extractor does a fine job with the frames. There's no real cappings mess to deal with when done either. What there is comes off while being extracted mostly and comes out to be strained off. As for damage to combs, nothing worth mentioning. When the bees get the combs back, they clean it up very quickly and start storing away again.
    Thomas Bartram