Migratory covers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Migratory covers

For you commercial guys, I'm sure you are using migratory covers. But how do you deal with all the other problems?

Thing like Moisture, pests at the bottom entrance like mice.

I'm trying to figure out a cover that i can use, buy, build that helps me address these problems.

I thought about plywood for covers But I'm betting no one does it.

I could use some shims on a migratory cover and go without insulation to address the moisture but letting it drain down a side and also get the ventilation i need As well.

If it were big enough i could use it as an upper entrance too. I like to get multi purpose use from a single thing,you know?

Ever have mouse problems at the lower entrance? Couldn't imagine mouse guarding thousands of hives!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Migratory covers

Most guys that use migratory covers move their bees, usually to a warm climate during the winter, when moisture is a problem. Its not really a problem in warm months. Mice also happen, just make the entrance small enough so that mice have an issue getting into the hives. Usually bees on pallets, where migratory covers are mainly used, have a small shim that rhe bottom box sits on, and most times is small.enough so most mice can't access the hives.
    As for upper entrances, a hole in the top box would serve well for that.
    Allegany Mtn. Bee Farm
    Quality Queens and Honey from Western New York

Im not commercial, but I use plywood covers with no issues. I don't even use cleats, just a flat piece of plywood. If I think they need extra ventilation I just jam a small twig under one corner. In the winter time I lay a 2 in piece of pink foam directly on the plywood and have never seen moisture dripping on the inner cover when I pop the lid to check them.

I also use plywood on many of my hives. Make sure you don't get too thin--I can't remember the ply I've used, I can check. I put 3 coats of primer paint on top and sides. I seem to have more problems with migratory lids, with moisture and having to glue fill and repaint. No cleats here either. They are cut the size of the hive.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 50 hives, TF

>I'm trying to figure out a cover that i can use, buy, build that helps me address these problems.
    >I thought about plywood for covers But I'm betting no one does it.

A lot of people make their covers out of plywood. Mostly because pine doesn't come in 16 1/4" widths...
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopentrance.htm

>I could use some shims on a migratory cover and go without insulation to address the moisture but letting it drain down a side and also get the ventilation i need As well.

Mostly with a top entrance the moisture will go out the top and not condense.

>If it were big enough i could use it as an upper entrance too. I like to get multi purpose use from a single thing,you know?

Yes.

>Ever have mouse problems at the lower entrance?

Yes.

>Couldn't imagine mouse guarding thousands of hives!

Yes, I can. I have a couple of hundred and I don't.
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#topentrance
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

This year I had a terrible problem with condensation in my hives. My lids are migratory lids with 3/4'' plywood all new material. Most of them warped pretty good along the sides. Know I'm thinking I should run a 3/4'' dado grove in the front and rear bottom side of the plywood.

The moisture was so bad that several of the frame feeders filled up with water.
    Last edited by beesohappy; 02-17-2015 at 09:50 AM. Reason: added the bottom sentence

Plywood can certainly warp, but so can pine boards. I usually deal with it with a stack of bricks to weigh down the corners that stick up. Once it's glued down it stays pretty well.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Use Advantech!
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Is Advantech just waferboard for exterior construction? I've heard of people using mdo or hdo.

It's a superior particle board that simply refuses to come apart.

http://www.huberwood.com/advantech/p...ntech-flooring

hive%201.jpg
    I'm strictly a hobbyist so I have more time for niceties but I add tapered shims on the sides, a swivel entrance and some screening to my top feeders

Well, now this just muddies up the waters even more! I thought i was going to be able to figure out what i was going to use. But now, this just makes it more difficult.

Mutt long term goal is to get to 500 hives. I don't want to get even to 50 and find out my covers need changed..

The majority of the time my hives will be in a colder climate with fairly wet area.

Who carries this advantech plywood? What does it cost?

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    Use Advantech!
    Keep in mind ive only been using advantech for a year but I won't use anything else anytime soon. Stays flat, holds paint well and $2.50 a lid. I cut a 2.5 inch x 3/8 notch give or take with a dado blade for ventilation and upper entrance. Foam on top in winter. Im building bottom boards out of it this winter as well. If it lasts 5 years I'll be thrilled but I think itll last much much longer. Easy to cut no assembly required!

Quote Originally Posted by hex0rz View Post
    Who carries this advantech plywood? What does it cost?
    I believe it is Home Depot (not Lowes) that has it for about $20 a sheet .....that's 10 covers. Make sure wherever it is that you buy it that it is spray painted with Advantech on it as some try to pass what they sell as Advantech when it is not...........

When I build something bee related I want way more than 5 years out of it. I have never used Advantech, but I can't imagine not using the concrete form plywood that we currently build our lids from. It basically never warps or rots. I would be shocked if most of my lids don't coast to twenty years of use. And that includes wintering in east Texas where it is rather wet climate wise. We have also built 4 frame nuc boxes out of the same plywood, and it works perfect.

I think advantech will far surpass 5 years. My point is if I get 5 years of service out of a $2.50 lid. It's costing me .50 a year and I'm happy with that. I soaked a piece of advantech in a quart of water for a month and I couldn't break it.

I was skeptical when Advantec came out as the product it replaced was total junk. I've had a sheet sitting out in the weather for 4 years now and aside from discoloration it is completely unchanged.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S. Thompson

I first heard of Advantech from Cleo Hogan. I have 2 year old unpainted tops made of it. I also soaked a piece, submerged for 6 months and it didn't even get soft. No warping on my tops and no cleats.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    I believe it is Home Depot (not Lowes) that has it for about $20 a sheet .....that's 10 covers. Make sure wherever it is that you buy it that it is spray painted with Advantech on it as some try to pass what they sell as Advantech when it is not...........
    Never seen Advantech at Home Depot only Lowe's
    $26 sheet here, Get 10 full tops and 4 Nuc Tops per sheet

Cutting feeder holes is smooth and quick not the ripping chunks like regular plywood
    I'm sold on it just concerned about extra weight heaviness but sure won't blow off!!

John Pluta http://GeorgiaBees.blogspot.com Make the most of each and every day
    John Pluta http://GeorgiaBees.blogspot.com Common Sense KISS Beekeeping Treated Boxes Bees Full Frames Foundation

I had a half sheet of Advantech left over from a job that I just left on the ground outside my shop. About once every year or so I would flip it over. After a decade it was still solid. It's been 16 years now and it's degrading. If it were off the ground and covered with a good coat of primer/paint, I'm sure it would easily last 20 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast