Horizontal Comb - how would bees use it?

Default Horizontal Comb - how would bees use it?

Recently did a cutout. It was bigger than I thought and so I did not have enough equipment to rubber band all the combs at that time.

After I left, a couple of combs fell down and were horizontal on the bottom of the cavity. They had been mostly cleaned out a couple of days later, when I returned.

Just out of curiosity, if I had left the hive continue to grow and they then incorporated the horizontal comb into the hive, how would they use it? Would it just be used for honey storage, or could it be used for raising brood? I understand that cells facing downwards with larvae of the correct age may be turned into queen cells.

Has anyone had a hive on it's side for months? How did the combs look? Photos would be great.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Horizontal Comb - how would bees use it?

I once read a study that was about artificially raised workers and their flight abilities. That study said that when workers were raised with the pupa in a vertical position the bee became humpbacked and their wings became deformed. Some could fly but not as well as normal bees.
    42 + years - 24 colonies - IPM disciple - Naturally Skeptic

On my first cutout I left a piece of comb on the bottom for the bees to clean up. The SHB got there first and the bees couldn't get to the bottom side. That was a very nasty smell and the bees decided they could find a better place to live.

I learned it was better to discard it if it won't fit than try to keep too much.

Thanks guys.

Anyone had a hive knocked over, laying on it's side for some time?