Swarm commander: Does It Really Work? - Page 15
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Default Re: Swarm commander: Does It Really Work?

Does it work for apis cerina indica and european bees as well....
    please reply

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Had a10 frame deep on top of shed with LGO. Very little activity of scouts.

Ordered SC and it arrived in mail friday, same day as I got two nucs.

Installed nucs Friday late afternoon.

Saturday, got a second 10 frame deep set up for a trap. Used SC. While it was open on tailgait of truck, had bees already checking it out... put it on she'd roof right next to trap with LGO Saturday afternoon.

Today is Sunday and bees going in and checking out SC trap easily 10 - 1 compared to LGO right next to it. At times 40 +/- bees at SC trap...

I am hoping SC is the key, and I get me a swarm.

Question for anyone that might know, my two nucs seemed pretty week. Looked mostly all like nurse bees on brood. Could these just be my nuc bees checking out their new area?

Hope you did well with Swarm Commander. I'd love some feedback.
    Scott Derrick- Creator Of - Honey-B-Gone Swarm Commander

Quote Originally Posted by junaid mir View Post
    Does it work for apis cerina indica and european bees as well....
    please reply
    I'm not sure but I'd love to find out. I feel confident it will but I'm just not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by tommysnare View Post
    Any chance of a package deal for buying deals commander and beegone ?
    Sorry for the horribly late reply. I'll take that for action.

Hi Scott. Just ordered a 2 oz bottle. I used LGO last year but only hit two out of six on my traps. Looking to improve the odds this year.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I've had good luck with the spray. I got one of the things that looks like a car air freshener. I didn't get a hit on it. It was a gift so no biggie. I would stick with the spray.

I'm thinking next year is going to be bad around here, most folks have high losses this year, so not sure how many swarms will be early next year.

I am hoping there is some natural mite resistance to the feral colonies and that they made it through winter. I have a good spot near the James River in an industrial area that last year had lots of bee swarms. I caught my first one there May 1st and the second swarm about a month later. No hits on any of my residential traps. That is why I am willing to pony up for the Swarm Commander, even though I have 4 oz of LGO in the bee stuff drawer. I also now have drawn brood comb for the traps so that should help too.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

It works. I lured a swarm from one of Odfrank’s hives a couple of years ago with it. I’ve been using it ever since! This hive is still alive and strong so if you want good bees, I’ll give you the address of Oliver’s beeyard.

6C08759F-F275-4301-A640-4363C42A6012.jpg
    Last edited by Charlie B; 01-24-2018 at 01:26 PM.
    My opinions are based on a decade of beekeeping, book learning and watching YouTube videos.

Middle of the suburbs, miles of urban sprawl.. this year I traped my front yard apple tree and a cotton wood 1/2 mile away, caught 6 swarms. (4 at the cotton wood and 2 at the house + swarm call 500 yards from my "gold mine" cotton wood)
    when I went to the cotton wood I parked and by the time I went grab the trap out of the back of the truck there were scouts around it..
    It was strong enuf I had bees with full pollen loads checking out the trap at my front yard

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    It works. I lured a swarm from one of Odfrank’s hives a couple of years ago with it. I’ve been using it ever since!
    You should NOT DRINK Swarm Commander Lure like Charlie does or it will affect your mind like it did his. Consuming all that SCL plus his Tides Pod habit is really making him loony. Or it is onset of Dementia.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/20/u...challenge.html

I went into winter with four hives, and only two survived, both swarms caught with homemade wax disks containing Swarm Commander.

Interestingly, one of the swarms was captured July 3rd. It is currently the strongest.

Many thanks for the great product!

These two bait swarms lured in SF using Swarm Commander are going on 3 years old and still producing a plethora of honey. Notice the two bottom brood boxes are deeps.

3E801465-4A7B-409D-ADEE-B93DDD93E916.jpg
    Last edited by Charlie B; 01-24-2018 at 04:15 PM.
    My opinions are based on a decade of beekeeping, book learning and watching YouTube videos.

This spring will be my first attempt to trap some "free bees". I've bought the small spray bottle of Swarm Commander. My problem is that I am miles and miles from the nearest other beekeeper to the best of my knowledge, so I suppose my odds are pretty long. But one never knows!

Big Mike

Mike, that you are not near any established apiaries is a good thing. Bees are almost everywhere. You stand a much better chance of catching true feral bees instead of a cast off swarm of someone's non climatized package bees. Set a bunch of traps and keep your fingers crossed. Make sure you have wooden ware enough for a 30% success rate. No promises, but that is a fair catch rate in a good year with good locations. Best of luck to you.

I received my bottle of Swarm Commander this weekend and sprayed a trap to see how long I could detect the scent. Swarm season doesn't start here for at least another month or more and I am anxious to do a comparison. Two traps set up the same, one LGO, the SC. Not very scientific as there will only be the one pair of traps. Most of the others will get the SC and I still plan on baiting one trap with nothing but Lemon Pledge (just for s&g).

I place a piece of paper towel in a snack zip lock baggie, spray once and zip closed. Swarm commander and LGO last all season. No need to refresh.

When one trap is being worker they all are. The scouts have no problem finding all my traps in a given area.

I am interested in recommendations for optimal use of Swarm Commander in swarm traps. Threads generally suggest that a little bit goes a long way and refreshing it is not necessary more than once per year.

I used SC for the first time last spring and had more success with it than LGO, but my results were inconclusive. As expected, traps made from old brood boxes caught with and without SC. I also caught swarms in recently painted traps made from new plywood with: (i) a q-tip dipped in SC and sealed (except for 1") in a ziploc bag, (ii) SC sprayed on the inside of the lid (1 pump), and (iii) SC sprayed (1 pump) outside near the entrance. The traps that I refreshed with a spray mid-season did not have any takers, but that could be location, over-application or both.

Best practices or recommended applications?

Personally I prefer swarm commander and I'm guessing this is only one of several factors to why I'm having success.

I'm still yet to catch anything with LGO, although a lot of people have great success with both.

This will be going on to year 3 or 4 with SC.

Best of luck!

I've used it in 10-12 swarm traps for 2 years now with over 20 swarms caught...3/4 of them being NOT my swarmed hives but instead wild swarms. Have also put straight lemon grass in some traps. 3:1 success ratio on the traps with Swarm Commander versus straight lemongrass oil. Did try some of the gel last summer. Worked but I will stick with the spray from now on. $60 investment($30 per summer), has turned into $2000+ worth of swarms based on $100 for a 3 lbs package of bees. But most swarms were larger than 3 lbs. I was tentative at purchase but sold on it after 2 years of use.
    30 hives and counting...
    Huntsville, AL: Alabama's best kept secret

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast