Swarm commander: Does It Really Work? - Page 14
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Default Re: Swarm commander: Does It Really Work?

Some Beekeepers here in SF are realizing that swarm captures are the way to go to replenish dead outs. Packages are not surviving as well as swarms for whatever reason. Swarm Commander certainly helps in attracting swarms and for the cost, it's well worth it.
    My opinions are based on a decade of beekeeping, book learning and watching YouTube videos.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I was reading an article about bee escapes, and someone mentioned how after the bees left his super through the escapes, they went down "to the Nasanov signals down at the hive entrance..."

This caught my eye, because of this discussion. It could have been poetic license by the author, for all I know, but does Nasanov factor into bee activity more than just during swarming?
    If so, are there times other than swarming, when you might use a bit of LGO, or SC at the entrance of a hive to encourage bee behavior, such as away from a super during harvest?

Or should you only use it as a swarm attractant?
    After my "welcoming committee" efforts with LGO on the hive legs, and the resultive success in luring half of one colony away from their sisters, the hubby has hidden the LGO bottle from me...at least until Spring and swarm season...But I am curious as to other uses for it with bees. Anybody use attractants for anything besides swarming?
    ~M

>... but does Nasanov factor into bee activity more than just during swarming?

Absolutely. If you ever have a queen fly off I would use it to your advantage. If you want to move a hive in the middle of the afternoon, you can also use it to your advantage. Just open the hive up, pull a frame out and shake them off back into the hive. A lot of bees will come to the top and start putting their butts in the air and fanning. Returning foragers will stay. Leave the lid off for 30 minutes or so and then close it up and move it. Most of the foragers will now be home.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesqueenflying.htm

A few drops of Lemongrass oil in a new hive will help anchor a swarm or a package there. Not as well as open brood will, or even as well as an old brood comb, but it will help. This is not to get a swarm to move in, but just to keep them from moving OUT.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

There are 7 esters"fatty acids" in Nasanov. It is a mixture, from a gland. But it is used in ways that have nothing to do with the "new free home" signal. 2 esters are involved in that. A trace is left on worked flowers. A different ester for a different context? Water areas are marked, again ,what ester for that context? Anything scout bees investigate, gets traced. Drone flight areas get marked , along with other pheremones, purely for mating purposes. When a swarm leaves, Nasanov is used, by the queen and retinue, for the purpose of Leaving a hive,along with queenie's other scents. The opposite effect of homing scent, but the same as placed Into a lure by scout bees. Bee communication is poorly understood, and some of the research is facinating to a geek-beek like me. There are a lot of very interesting published papers online. I learned to make very excellent swarm lure reading other folk's research & graduate thesis's.

Is this product mainly for sort of rural areas where there is a lot of bee activity?
    I'm in a suburban zone in New Zealand with virtually no bee activity(till I got a hive recently). Would this be of any use to me?

Quote Originally Posted by jadebees View Post
    ...I learned to make very excellent swarm lure reading other folk's research & graduate thesis's.
    Oh, please, would you share more info on your Swarm Lure?

Along with bee vacs, swarm capture is something I am semi-obsessed with this Winter. Thank you!
    ~M

Quote Originally Posted by Qkrwogud View Post
    Is this product mainly for sort of rural areas where there is a lot of bee activity?
    I'm in a suburban zone in New Zealand with virtually no bee activity(till I got a hive recently). Would this be of any use to me?
    Okrwogud,

I would say yes. You can capture your own bees if they swarm. Just make sure to place swarm traps on the outer edges of your apiary. You can actually purchase Swarm Commander from Happy Hives in Whangarei, NZ. Here is the info for the site.

Happy Hives
    Whangarei, New Zealand,
    [email protected]
    Telephone: 09-4346654

All the best!
    Scott Derrick- Creator Of - Honey-B-Gone Swarm Commander

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    Some Beekeepers here in SF are realizing that swarm captures are the way to go to replenish dead outs. Packages are not surviving as well as swarms for whatever reason. Swarm Commander certainly helps in attracting swarms and for the cost, it's well worth it.
    That is one of the main reason's I was motivated to create Swarm Commander. Being a removal guy for the past 12 years, I realize how well bee do when folks don't mess with em. Swarms are valuable especially when package are so high in cost and mortality recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    +1 down here in San Mateo, 5 out of 5 packages I installed last year for my friends and family died. All the swarms are doing great.

Just bought a bottle of Swarm Commander - my first purchase with bitcoin!

Quote Originally Posted by rsderrick View Post
    That is one of the main reason's I was motivated to create Swarm Commander. Being a removal guy for the past 12 years, I realize how well bee do when folks don't mess with em. Swarms are valuable especially when package are so high in cost and mortality recently.
    I read a scientific research paper on Nasonov. They tested synthetic Nasonov (using 6 of the chemicals) against a number of other scents. They did the tests about as well as I think anyone could, switching the traps out from one test scent to another but at the same location, testing against some pretty good ideas like the foraging scent, some kind of nectar scent, wax moth feces scent, a scent associated with animal scat that would be found in a tree hollow, Lemon grass oil and so on.

The results were striking. The success ratio of Nasonov versus non-Nasonov was 4:1 with Nasonov attracting an average of 21 swarms versus 5 for the non-Nasonov. The lemongrass performed about like the other non-Nasonov scented traps.

Another thing I am curious about is Nasonov versus QMP. They are not the same thing but a lot of beekeepers go about collecting queens in alcohol and use it as a swarm lure. When I read the scientific literature I find the most active chemical has the effect of keeping the swarm cluster intact and they say nothing about attracting the swarm to a location. I am not sure what this means. Does QMP cause the swarm to think the queen is in the trap? that is what it would suggest. Nasonov is left by all bees not just the queen. It is supposed to signal 'this place is well visited by bees' so they collectively think this is attractive. Since we know swarms hive based on a sort of 'popular vote' where the cluster follows the greatest number of bee scouts the Nasonov effect makes a lot of sense while the QMP doesn't. Just wondering.
    "Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes"
    Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Now that the swarm season is starting, how often should I reapply SC?

Quote Originally Posted by marant View Post
    Now that the swarm season is starting, how often should I reapply SC?
    Once worked for me.

I think they recommend a couple squirts every couple weeks. Just ordered two new bottles off Amazon its cheaper than ordering off of the official website because he charges his state sales tax to out of state customers.
    Dan

Set this box out yesterday with some Swarm Commander, just caught this swarm this afternoon. About half in the box and half outside moving in. Two frames of brood comb inside with 7 frames foundationless empty frames.
    If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    Abraham Maslow

deleted
    Last edited by tanksbees; 02-22-2016 at 07:39 AM.

Please keep business dealings out of these forums. Do it via PM or in the vendor forums.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by dynemd View Post
    Set this box out yesterday with some Swarm Commander, just caught this swarm this afternoon. About half in the box and half outside moving in. Two frames of brood comb inside with 7 frames foundationless empty frames.
    Fantastic Photos! Thanks for sharing your success with Swarm Commander!

That is neat. It is the first time I have seen swarm traps hanging from a rope. I see another behind it in the background.

Any chance of a package deal for buying deals commander and beegone ?

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast