Extractor-less honey by Flow Hive - Page 5
Page 5 of 115 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Default Re: Extractor-less honey by- "Honey Flow"

>You run unlimited brood nest.

Yes.

>Are their any worries of pollen or brood in the flow frames?

They are the wrong diameter for a worker and the wrong diameter for a drone and the wrong depth for brood. The queen will not lay in them. If there was pollen in them it would get short of smushed in the process which would probably break it loose and the bees would have to decide what to do with it after that.

>Also, will the expence of the frames be low enough to replace the labor factor and do they seem durable for long term use?

Time will tell. I don't know the retail price and I haven't had them for several years which would have to happen to find out their durability.

> Will you be using a queen excluder now?

No. With these no one has any reason to use an excluder for honey production. The queen will not lay in them.

These guys have really thought this out...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Michael
    Thank you for your responce.
    gww

It looks like they will be using Kickstarter for fundings. I guess that means no one is interested in investing.
    It will be interesting to see how many people donate.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    These guys have really thought this out...
    You do know Michael, with all this hype and basically your endorsement of this , your name might change to "Mush" if this does not pan out
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

I'm not so sure about that Wbvc, it seems like commercial folks don't use stuff that backyard folks use like inner covers and telescoping tops, part of reason is time and space savings, other part cost savings. They already have sunk costs in honey houses and they have to pay for the labor anyway. If it meant that they could reduce the workers maybe it would make sense. It really is going to come down to the cost of the equipment more than anything I would think for commercial folks. It is kind of like fast food and minimum wage. Raise the minimum wage high enough and you will see more kids without jobs, at some point the machines become more economical than the humans. It will be interesting to see if it works well and if they are affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by WBVC View Post
    If they work well I would expect they would be much more practical than collecting frames, getting bees off them, transporting to a honey house, uncapping the frames, extracting the frames and transporting them back to the hives, again opening the hives and replacing the supers. The commercial folk pay people to do that. Much simpler to send someone out to set a bucket, turn a knob and return later to turn the knob and collect the honey. On a large operation by the time you finish opening the tap on the last hive you would likely be able to go back to hive one and shut off the knob and put the collected honey on the truck. The only lifting is grtting the honey from the hive onto the truck.
    I was thinking somewhere in the neighborhood or 200+ hives in my definition of a "large scale operation". I'm not saying one way or the other on practicality (which is why I said I'm not sure) as I manage only a handful of hives in comparison. It will be interesting to see if anything comes of this project and the plethora of side products or management techniques it's bound to spur. I hope it does work out, as I think it really would be a neat experiment for a hive or two in my "hobbyists" realm.

"Are any hives that are manipulated by man natural? What does that even mean?"

Exactly my point!
    Tim Wilbanks
    Kalona Honey Company, LLC www.kalonahoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by bdouglas View Post
    It looks like they will be using Kickstarter for fundings. I guess that means no one is interested in investing.
    It will be interesting to see how many people donate.
    I don't see it that way at all. Using Kickstarter means you get to dictate the terms of the investment to a _far_ greater extent than with professional venture capital. And if things don't work out, it hasn't really cost you anything other than some time.

Of course the often casual nature of Kickstarter projects can backfire as well, and you end up with people having no idea how to handle a large chunk of invested money and/or how to handle a very large volume of orders.

Having a great idea/prototype and having to build/ship/support 10,000 orders are two completely different things. I hope they have some very competent people on staff to handle manufacturing, logistics, and customer service.

Back to the product itself, I'm super intrigued, and I'll be awaiting 24 Feb with bated breath. Some random questions buzzing around in my amateur brain:

• Can the Flow Frames be disassembled and serviced by the end user?
    • Does their wax foundation ever need to be "refreshed?"
    • Would the bees ever think, "Hey Sally; this part of the hive is defective. Stop putting honey over there."
    • What's the honey production vs. a traditional approach?
    • How do the vegans feel about this now? Just kidding!!!!
    Painted Peacock Manor, Palos Verdes, CA

> I guess that means no one is interested in investing.

My impression has been that KickStarter was their plan all along.

>You do know Michael, with all this hype and basically your endorsement of this , your name might change to "Mush" if this does not pan out

It was not my intention to tie my name to this. I just tried it and said what I thought. I have no stake in it. I wish I did! No one will know how durable they are until they have used them for some years. I'm sure every disadvantage will be kicked around by beekeepers and maybe using them will discover some more, but all the objections I could come up with they had already thought of and covered. So, all I am saying is that it is well thought out and it's real and it is the first truly revolutionary beekeeping gadget to come along in a century... I will buy some more and see how it goes. As with anything bee related, I would recommend a reasonably small experiment to see what you think first. I won't convert all 200 of my hives right off, but I probably will do ten or so.

>Of course the often casual nature of Kickstarter projects can backfire as well, and you end up with people having no idea how to handle a large chunk of invested money and/or how to handle a very large volume of orders.

I can see that they could get overwhelmed by the volume of orders as this really is revolutionary. My impression is that's part of the reason they went with KickStarter. You can't afford to invest a lot of money in a huge inventory only to find out no one believes it even works and the concept is far fetched enough that is a possibility. On the other hand you may get overwhelmed with orders and this gives you the capital to meet them. They are already manufacturing them so it's a matter of scaling that up.

But as to the rest, they seem to have a good head on their shoulders and I get the impression they have a plan for how to manage things.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Sounds pretty cool and I wouldn't mind trying a few of the frames out, modifying boxes or making a few special boxes is within my set of skills. From the description it sounds like a great way for someone with less than 20 or 30 hives max to harvest honey (I personally hate harvesting honey) however it doesn't sound feasible for sideliners or commercials. I'm just going off what the aussie guy said in the previous post and don't have any experience with their product. It looks like I'll only be running 6 production hives this year and there's a spring flow I need to 'tap' into so hey, if you Honey Flow guys need a second opinion... I still feel like a kid when something comes in the mail for me
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

>however it doesn't sound feasible for sideliners or commercials.

If a milking machine is feasible for a dairy farmer, I don't see why not... For a sideliner it still saves 95% of your labor harvesting. For a commercial guy, you could harvest honey off of the bees that are pollinating without disturbing them and ship the honey home or sell it locally and save paying the shipping to the next pollination location. The hard part is just the up front cost. But you wouldn't have to do that all at once. You could do a share every year until you get them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    >You do know Michael, with all this hype and basically your endorsement of this , your name might change to "Mush" if this does not pan out

It was not my intention to tie my name to this.
    That may have not been your attention, but from all your posts on this, it sure "sounds" that way. I do hope it pans out..........
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Sorry, I didn't consider Kickstarter an "investment". From what I have seen in the past, it's either a donation or a pre-purchase that you may or may-not get if the product is developed. On the 24th, if I see something like pledge $10,000.00 and you get 1% of first 5 years gross sales then I will say it would be an "investment".

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    That may have not been your attention, but from all your posts on this, it sure "sounds" that way. I do hope it pans out..........
    I hate to be a stick in the mud, but if every time Michael Bush has an opinion on a product it becomes an official endorsement or condemnation with the associated fanfare, then he'll be _less_ likely to review things in the future, and that would be a shame.

I am reading his posts as the opinion of one beekeeper who has tried this product. Granted he's got a fair amount of credibility behind his name, but he's still one beekeeper, and YMMV.

I look forward to reading any other details he's willing and able to share, but I'm even more looking forward to trying this out myself.
    Painted Peacock Manor, Palos Verdes, CA

I have spent the last 10 years in marketing for a major corporation. If this organization is just 1/10th as good at engineering and supply chain as they are at marketing, I would bet heavily that this product will be a success. They have done everything right so far, from convincing a respected influencer before the announcement, to staging the funding as an event, to managing chatter in a very credible way. They should next study the negative comments to fully understand objections and it looks like they may be doing that as well. I like this organization already and I do not know the first thing about them. Heck, my first packages do not arrive until March and I already I want to use their product. What makes this worse is that I wanted to make comb honey...

This has been really fun to watch from a purely analytical point of view.

Enough of that - thanks to all the contributors to this site, I have learned so much in a short time and realize how much more I need to learn!

Edit: I saw the post above me and I agree 100%. Mr. Bush is respected for a reason and his credibility should not be tied to an individual product that may or may not be a commercial success.
    Last edited by quattro; 02-17-2015 at 02:47 PM. Reason: small addition

Mr. Bush is an adult and I doubt that children nattering about a product he happened to use is going to have much of an effect on him. Sounds like we have some prepaid gossiping firing up.

So don't they watch "Shark Tank" in Australia? What would Mr. Wonderful think?
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

How do you know when to harvest your out yards that you don't see every week? How do you keep them from getting packed and swarming under those conditions? No more stacking on a few supers and walking away for a few weeks.

I doubt you would get shark tank type of interest. Crowd sourcing is legit, and the way to go for something like this.

The question will be can they get the product on market and corner the market before someone comes along, changes this or that and puts out a new and improved version for 10 percent less. That, and it proves reliable over time.

still don't see how you can tell when the frames are capped looking at one end doesn't let ya know about the center or front end being capped. When can we order one ???
    Iím really not that serious

Page 5 of 115 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast