Extractor-less honey by Flow Hive - Page 3
Page 3 of 115 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Default Re: Extractor-less honey by- "Honey Flow"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    >Can you share any thoughts Michael, other than, "It works" ? G

Well, I have to make sure they have already publicly revealed anything I talk about since I signed a non-disclosure agreement. Anything they haven't made public I have to be careful about what I say...
    Understood. I thought that may be the case. Interesting to hear that it works, I guess we will now just have to wait and see how user friendly so forth and so on. Thanks. G

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Flow Hive- this look interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    Wow! Put some moonbeam genetics in that hive and you will really have something!
    I sense a tinge of sarcasm there Vance.......... . Guess we will wait and see.......... G

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    >Can you share any thoughts Michael, other than, "It works" ? G

Well, I have to make sure they have already publicly revealed anything I talk about since I signed a non-disclosure agreement. Anything they haven't made public I have to be careful about what I say...

Thanks, It's one to follow for sure. Like I said in my original post it seems ingenious but looks like all the kinks weren't worked out. Can you tell us if you plan to continue to use them after the trial period, or will we just have to watch the for sale forum and watch for you to post an extractor for sale?

Yes it looks very interesting wondering if you have to buy the whole hive or is it frames? Looking forward to more information coming soon!

That's how most people think honey is made any way. Just run out and turn on a valve.

>Thanks, It's one to follow for sure. Like I said in my original post it seems ingenious but looks like all the kinks weren't worked out.

Well, as I see it, the kinks are worked out, although they keep trying to improve things.

I thought it was impossible when I first saw it. I actually wondered if it was a spoof or if it was real. But after seeing how it works and watching them do one frame in the open live on skype while I could see the entire frame and talk to them and after they sent me a box worth of them to test, I can assure you it works. My test of it so far is too small and over too short of a time to be sure what I think of it in practice, but I can't imagine that I'm going to find too many disadvantages. My issue now is, I'm not sure how I will manage my hives using them as it changes several things I have always done. First, I run all eight frame mediums and these are deeps, so I'll have to buy some deeps (which I already did). Second, it makes a hive much more static in size when you can empty the combs without even opening the hive really. No need to stack the supers up so high when you can just drain them periodically without having to clean up the extractor and all the equipment and the kitchen every time. Just draining it into a bucket eliminates all of that mess. The queen won't lay in them because they are too deep so you don't need an excluder (which I don't use, but some people do). You don't have to run the bees out to harvest so you eliminate all of that part of harvesting as well. In recent years I've had all the same size boxes and I try to leave them honey for winter. This may change my view of some of how I determine what to leave them since these are deeper combs and can't be used for brood I don't think I want them to cluster in them over winter. So I'll have to work out the details of how I will use them as far as when to put them on, take them off, drain them, how many mediums to have on below them etc. In other words, I'm pretty sure I'll be using them, it will just be too useful not to, but exactly how that impacts my total system I'm not really sure, until I've tried to work those details out.

When I first saw it I thought of this story from "Mastering the Art of Beekeeping" by Ormond and Harry Aebi:

" 'I want to buy one of your beehives' he said. 'I want you to bring it to me tomorrow at eleven in the morning and I want you to set it up on top of a ten foot pole that I'll have set up by that time. And I want you to come over every Thursday afternoon and drain out the honey so that I can have fresh honey every week.'... 'I can't place a beehive up on a pole like that,' I said. 'And even if I could, I couldn't work it to take off the honey.' 'Why not? I shall expect you to install a spigot at the bottom of the hive. All you'll have to do is open it and drain off the quantity of honey I require.' 'Beehives don't work that way,' I told him. 'I can't possibly do as you ask.'..."

And now beehives can work that way...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

So does this qualify as "natural" beekeeping?
    Tim Wilbanks
    Kalona Honey Company, LLC www.kalonahoney.com

VERY interesting. I would have to see the inner workings myself before I got one, but if it works like you say it does Michael, then I may consider it just for the sake of having one. I guess the cost of the product was also included in the disclosure agreement?
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

So honey is capped, and drained. Will the bee know when what's behind the cap becomes empty?

wow that is pretty cool thanks for sharing Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Guinnesses View Post
    So honey is capped, and drained. Will the bee know when what's behind the cap becomes empty?

I can't answer for Michael, but looking at the patent, it' looks like the cell splits which would break the caps

In the FAQ's on their web-site they say it takes the bees a day or so to uncap the empty cells for refilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Honey View Post
    If not for Langstroth, we'd all be practicing SKEPticism lol
    I thought of that pun too earlier today. Then I thought about honey and puns for morning tea and went off and had some.

The Australian patent application can be seen here: http://pericles.ipaustralia.gov.au/o...nNo=2012357650

If that link does not work you can do a search at ipaustralia.gov.au using the patent app number 2012357650

it is far more detailed than the Fresh Patents listing.

So far as I can tell the patent has not been granted by IP Australia. But they have not fallen behind with filing fees etc.

Having been involved (peripherally) with a few patents applications myself I would say they must feel that they are on to something because getting a patent granted in Australia is no get rich quick shortcut. That is you can't get an Australian patent easily.

My alma mater is the University of Newcastle. It is not some tinpot rube diploma mill. It is ranked in the top 3% in the world (Times HER). I am pretty sure that they do not allow academic staff to use their connection with the university in product endorsements without some internal investigation of the credentials of the product etc.

I am amazed at the reactions of some of the Beek groups on Facebook in particular (not so much here). I suspect that it's a bit of an outbreak of "Not Invented Here" syndrome judging by the spite and malice displayed.

Let's wait and see.
    Last edited by New Bee; 02-15-2015 at 11:33 PM. Reason: spello

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Honey View Post
    Imagine if Beesource existed in the mid-1800's and L.L Langstroth posted that he had invented a way to keep bees, manage bees, collect honey and pollen, and he could do all of this without destroying the combs in the hive. Imagine the nay-sayers, "gotta be a scam" , "that's impossible", "can't be cost effective", "maybe for the hobbyist but not folks with dozens of skeps". lol
    After reading Michaels response it seems viable.
    However since I have not actually kept a hive in over 40 years. I'm setting up 2 or three this spring. BUT I do have 3 of those 300 gallon IBC totes pictured in the patent.
    How many hives will I need to fill an IBC tote?

Quote Originally Posted by New Bee View Post
    <snip>
    Let's wait and see.
    Time will tell.

Definitely workable. The concept itself is pretty simple but coming up with a design to be able to make both the cell movement hands free and the honey transport work well would the the catches.

The way the patent is written would allow them to do everything from manufacture a turnkey setup to selling the rights to OEM and avoid some of the hassle with trying to warranty such a setup directly. They've also covered most of the alternate possible configurations and material types so nobody can just produce a knock off by changing one or two simple aspects to sidestep their patent... I suppose that is the whole point though.

The internet is even mentioned... maybe Apple can pick up on it and produce the iHoney or iBee

Jeff.

"Just add HFCS!"

Kidding. I wish them the best. I remember reading a really old ABJ or Gleanings article about something like this.

Default Re: honey tap

Don't see any problem with open honey jars in a beeyard, do you?

I mean as long as triggering robbing and getting bees in your honey jars don't bother you.

This could no doubt be a game changer for smaller operators.

If it becomes a standard practice in honey production, I am sure the wax market will be effected!!! Might have trouble getting foundation for the deep brood frames.

Obviously it would really need to catch on well before wax supplies became an issue.

It all depends on cost.

Page 3 of 115 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast