Extractor-less honey by Flow Hive - Page 2
Page 2 of 115 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Default Re: Extractor-less honey by- "Honey Flow"

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Honey View Post
    Imagine if Beesource existed in the mid-1800's and L.L Langstroth posted that he had invented a way to keep bees, manage bees, collect honey and pollen, and he could do all of this without destroying the combs in the hive. Imagine the nay-sayers, "gotta be a scam" , "that's impossible", "can't be cost effective", "maybe for the hobbyist but not folks with dozens of skeps". lol
    It's not because it's been done a certain way for a long time that it can't be improved, but it's also not because it's new that it's better.

When something new has a lot of marketing efforts behind it, grand claims, and yet offers no technical explanation whatsoever, nor prices, it is clearly just trying to create hype and you should be skeptical.
    www.apisrustica.com Bee Breeding: Canadian nuclei & queens
    www.facebook.com/Apis.rustica

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Flow Hive- this look interesting

It showed up on mine too. I watched the video. I'm just wondering now how it works! Lots of questions.

If not for Langstroth, we'd all be practicing SKEPticism lol

Default Re: Honey On Tap Straight From the Hive?

“Mind Blowing...It's not very often something is so revolutionary as to blow my mind...Saving 20% of harvest labor is not trivial, 40% is amazing, 60% is revolutionary. But 95%, that’s Mind Boggling!”

Michael Bush - USA
    http://www.honeyflow.com/

Default Re: Honey On Tap Straight From the Hive?

Amazing? We'll see.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

It looks to me like they've patented the idea that you can cut hexagonal comb vertically into slats that, when every other slat is shifted upwards, turns it into channels that (in theory) drain downwards. So they have a patent on that idea. Then with a lot of money kick-started to them, they can explore the rest of the problem of how to extract honey by waving a wand over a closed box.

Quote Originally Posted by Kofu View Post
    It looks to me like they've patented the idea that you can cut hexagonal comb vertically into slats that, when every other slat is shifted upwards, turns it into channels that (in theory) drain downwards. So they have a patent on that idea. Then with a lot of money kick-started to them, they can explore the rest of the problem of how to extract honey by waving a wand over a closed box.
    I read the patent I looks like they plan to imbed a heating element to help liquify the honey to get it to flow down through the channels, in theory it would warm up prior to opening them and would be too warm for the bees so they would leave the comb and not get squished in the process of sliding the cells. It's pretty ingenious if it works, but I fear heating honey comb and breaking it open will set of one heck of a robbing frenzy

I'm curious how it would work with bur comb, propolis and what not. I think that you could get it to work initially, but like Harley said, once you extracted you would probably kick off a robbing frenzy. It seems like you would have to plumb this thing to work it as well. With it all plumbed it would be difficult to tell when they capped the comb. I would like to see the finished product, but I'm thinking the demo will work a lot better than an actual product.

One of my Landowners where I have had an apiary for a number of years has a brother who invented combs that would drain from the base of each cell so one could do what it like what is seen in the video. I don't think he ever got a working model or prototype build.

What I find interesting is how clean the honey looks as it drains into the jars. And also that there are no bees around those jars or the jars being held up while the Father and Son are talking. Maybe there is a strong nectar flow on. I don't know. Just seems fishy. But if this works it will become well known soon enough.
    Mark Berninghausen

it appears to have a window to see when it's capped......but that doesn't mean the inside frames will be..... which leads to another problem....honey with too high of a water content that needs post harvest drying ................which is starting to sound like more work than harvesting the traditional way, in other words its a solution looking for a problem.

I think it's a great idea. Good luck to them.

The market they are probably looking at is Bee havers with a hive at the bottom of the garden, the ones that are going to save the bees single handedly, pollinate their apple tree and harvest 1/2 a ton of honey a month, oh and all that treatment free. Think of the time and money saved if one doesn't have to crush and strain at harvest time.

Me, I think they are on to a winner.
    Stephen 40+ hives. 6th year. Treat. Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    ... a brother who invented combs that would drain from the base of each cell ... I don't think he ever got a working model or prototype build.
    In the new patent application, they do mention that approach as one that was suggested earlier -- and theirs is presented as a big improvement. It's in the verbiage, which is sort of interesting if you think about what they're trying to do -- make money out of hyping effortless extraction, and at the same time corner the market on a general idea that might, at some point, be feasible.

I'm naturally skeptical about something like this working or working well. Short cuts don't always save one much. But it will be interesting to see if it really works. It's all over Facebook Beekeeping Pages.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I'm naturally skeptical about something like this working or working well. Short cuts don't always save one much. But it will be interesting to see if it really works. It's all over Facebook Beekeeping Pages.
    No kidding, look at the page's history. It's only existed for a month, and all but a tiny portion of its "likes" come from the last 24h.
    www.apisrustica.com Bee Breeding: Canadian nuclei & queens
    www.facebook.com/Apis.rustica

Wow! Put some moonbeam genetics in that hive and you will really have something!

Yes, it actually works. They sent me six to test. It seems impossible, but it's not.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Can you share any thoughts Michael, other than, "It works" ? G

>I read the patent I looks like they plan to imbed a heating element to help liquify the honey to get it to flow down through the channels

They thought that might be an issue. It was not. It does not have any heat and it flows just fine. Bee hives tend to be 93F or more all summer.

>When with a lot of money kick-started to them, they can explore the rest of the problem of how to extract honey by waving a wand over a closed box.

This is all working. You have to modify the box a bit so you can remove a panel to "throw the switch" and hook up the tubes, but it's not that hard. They seem to be the type to continue to try to improve things, but it works quite well right now.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

>Can you share any thoughts Michael, other than, "It works" ? G

Well, I have to make sure they have already publicly revealed anything I talk about since I signed a non-disclosure agreement. Anything they haven't made public I have to be careful about what I say...

Page 2 of 115 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast