Extractor-less honey by Flow Hive - Page 58
Page 58 of 115 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 2297

Default Re: Extractor-less honey by- "Honey Flow" - Flow Hive

Quote Originally Posted by kholmar View Post
    I wonder if any of the folks who have slandered the living 'stuff' out of the Flow guys will apologize and admit they were wrong once the frames get delivered?
    probably not, they will just cite reasons why 'they were right even though they were wrong'...
    So you think all the detractors are Democrats...........G.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Hey, don't dis the Pocket Fisherman. A lot of fish were pulled in with those!

Quote Originally Posted by shannonswyatt View Post
    Hey, don't dis the Pocket Fisherman. A lot of fish were pulled in with those!

I installed package number one in a top bar hive on Wednesday.
    Direct released the queen.
    They seem to be happily drawing comb but of course I can't see it yet but I can see the bees all hanging on each other in a loose cluster off of the guides.

I watched a worker drag a poor drone out onto the landing board, sting him to death and throw his butt overboard. LOL
    It was interesting to watch.

I post this on this thread because I 'perkchased' some flow frames and hope to put them on top of a hive next spring or summer.
    For the moment, I am reading and learning to be a beek.

Package number 2 in 20ish days in a self built top bar hive.

having fun!
    Billy

Wasn't it understood that the top doesn't even have to get popped on a flow hive super? You just empty it from the side. A little milky brood juice just adds to the flavor of one's "honey on tap"
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

Quote Originally Posted by rwurster View Post
    Wasn't it understood that the top doesn't even have to get popped on a flow hive super? You just empty it from the side. A little milky brood juice just adds to the flavor of one's "honey on tap"
    I am so tired of this BS comment being repeated over and over. One it is not very likely that the queen will go all the way up to the top super to lay a bunch of drones, another is most people have an queen excluder, a third is these things have a window to check out the side of the frames and see if there is a bunch of eggs/larvae.

"This thing will not work because you might have to adjust your methods for optimal results!"

AKA the ever evolving art of beekeeping. This is potentially a great new tool and beekeepers who want to use it will have to adjust slightly, same with anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by titankore View Post
    I am so tired of this BS comment being repeated over and over. One it is not very likely that the queen will go all the way up to the top super to lay a bunch of drones, another is most people have an queen excluder, a third is these things have a window to check out the side of the frames and see if there is a bunch of eggs/larvae.
    You seem to be speaking with some authority/wisdom...
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

According to their profile, "new to beekeeping"

I would think these flow hives would be a big hit in third world countries where they have limited resources and can't afford the whole extraction stuff. Oh, but I suppose they won't be able to afford the cost of the frames either!
    Regards, Barry

a third is these things have a window to check out the side of the frames and see if there is a bunch of eggs/larvae.
    You honestly think you can see brood from a window?

AKA the ever evolving art of beekeeping. This is potentially a great new tool and beekeepers who want to use it will have to adjust slightly, same with anything else.
    You must have missed the part of the thread that detailed an almost identical "great new tool" being patented in the 40's. The other thing that buzzed over your head was me being facetious which was accentuated with my smiley --->

As a new beekeeper, congrats I bet these new flow frames will work, as Tony the Tiger says "GRRRRRREAT", in your TF top bar or warre hive

Notice the smiley at the end of that statement
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

My 2c - I'm willing to try most anything once. Might work, might not but you'll never know if it's right for you until you've had a bit of "hands on".

A guy at Buderim (just a couple of hours north of Brisbane QLD AU) posted an interesting view on these > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ScDMIakxd4

Gotta say I'm a little cautious - Avoiding Chalkbrood, AFB or a SHB slimeout is 98% good practice + stock but there's always that small chance that your $500 investment will need to be irradiated (assuming you can't scorch it).

Suppose you could call me a fencesitter
    Last edited by Brissy Boy; 04-28-2015 at 07:12 PM. Reason: (wrong link)

There has been much discussion on this thread regarding the pros and cons of the Flow Hive, and its potential impact on beekeeping. Perhaps some would like to hear from a newbie on this.

I got started in beekeeping primarily due to the appeal of the Flow Hive. After seeing one of the early promotional videos the prospect of keeping bees, and especially harvesting, seemed much less daunting. I spent about a month reading everything I could about bees. It helps that my brother is a beekeeper in CA.

I set up my first two hives and installed packages in early April, so as to be ready to harvest in spring 2016. (Provided the hives survive through winter). If the hives flourish, I might get the joy of harvesting the old-fashioned way this year. So far, I am thoroughly enjoying watching and working with the bees. I have to force myself to stay out of the hives. I am already encountering problems, but thanks to Beesource and other wise counsel, I am learning. Anyway, I am glad that the Andersons spent the time and effort to bring this innovation to beekeeping. I probably wouldn't be involved otherwise.

For those who are interested, it looks like the back door is open to the Forums on Honeyflow.com:

http://forum.honeyflow.com/tos

I want this one
    futuristic beehive.jpg
    One flower and no bees
    Maybe I'll just buy honey and put it in a water cooler

Welcome clong. If you have purchased flow hive parts or a hive I would join the forum. People here would be interest in how it works for you.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Welcome clong. If you have purchased flow hive parts or a hive I would join the forum. People here would be interest in how it works for you.

I bought two 6 frame set-ups with box.

I'm not sure where this forum is. Can you point me to it?

If you can persuade them to ship by June, I'll be glad to give you a report this year.

Comon clong, you provided the link.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

I joined it. I thought you meant a forum on beesource.

be interesting to see how long it takes the "I HATE EVERYTHING NEW" trolls to clutter up their forum...
    Last edited by kholmar; 05-02-2015 at 09:17 PM.

Well, now they have the Flowhives for sell on their website, $670.00 USD (plus shipping) for the full hive.

http://www.honeyflow.com/shop/p/94

AND they're STILL misleading people. They say on their site about the "complete" hive; "This is our complete beehive with everything you need except the bees." Er....except they tell you to use a queen excluder (not included). And, for the (majority of) buyers that don't live in a year-round nectar flow area with no winter, like the "inventors" do, what about a feeder? (not included). Etc, etc.

Also, since they finally admitted that, oh yeah, by the way you do actually have to work the bees, they're selling their "kit" of a full (hot) suit, gloves and hive tool for $150.00 USD.

I can't believe the people who are buying into this aren't questioning this!

We recommend the use of a queen excluder as this ensures no drone or worker-bee eggs and larvae end up in the Flow™ frames.
    Having said this, most of our experimental Flow™ hives did not use an excluder and we never found worker brood in them and very rarely found drone brood. We have designed Flow™ comb to have deep cells of a size that suits neither worker or drone brood.
    Another factor that we believe helps ensure brood stays in the brood box is giving the bees flexibility in making the brood comb by providing them with open frames rather than foundation to build on. They will then build drone or worker size brood cells as they see fit, leaving the Flow™ frames for the honey storage.

We do not have to use a queen excluder, that is a choice and is discussed as a choice. It could be that they worded it this way so that they did not have to supply a queen excluder with the kit. Are they selling bee brushes? Smokers? Other stuff we need except for the bees?

I'm sorry, I just can't be so literal, nor get my knickers in a knot about how mislead I have been.

Roll on December. Can't wait.

Page 58 of 115 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108 ... LastLast