Built my first migratory pallet today.

Default Built my first migratory pallet today.

I want to get my bees on migratory pallets so I can move them easier, so today I thought I would try and build one. I had some scrap lumber laying around and a buddy gave me the clips so I'm in to this pallet for a few screws and nails. Took about a half hour of time and wa la. Does it look like its going to work.

image.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Built my first migratory pallet today.

I just built some as well. What did you use for the rim? Next time I think I am going to rip some treated 2x6. I used some wood that I feel I am going to have to replace after one season. Live and learn. Looks good!

My rim where the box sets is 3/8" lath boards. 5" openings opposite of each other so I hope not to get to much drift.

I will keep that in mind next time. I made two way pallets. My wife and I just took a trip up to Idaho Falls before Christmas. That place is way to cold for me.

There are two theories when it comes to equipment.

Go cheap or go long!!!!!!! Anyone building equipment is always boxed in by the budget considerations when deciding which fork to take. Tough choices...

As you decide keep in mind that hives can weigh a lot! If pallets are made skimpily and you place them in a twist they will rock on the next load or just plain fall apart.

I do suppose you plan on some form of preservative as the deck wood shown in the picture will delaminate in a year or two if its not protected. ???????

What type of equipment do you own to move a fully loaded pallet of hives? Pallet looks good BTW.

I've a question for those that use pallets. When constructing them is it normal to use just your decking ie. "plywood" on the top only, or is it more common place to have standard boards then the plywood?
    Thomas Bartram

I like a treated plywood. I would also suggest drain holes in each back corner. Nice advice from Phil, don't underestimate the weight that will be sitting on them. The first prototype is a good time to decide just the way you want them and then stick to those exact dimensions. Its the vital element in having uniformity in your loads, not just so it looks nice but so they can be easily secured. 1/4" or 1/2" difference may not seem like much until you stack them up as much as 7 high on a truck and suddenly you have a jumbled up mess with gaps under your straps allowing lids to slide out.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by drlonzo View Post
    I've a question for those that use pallets. When constructing them is it normal to use just your decking ie. "plywood" on the top only, or is it more common place to have standard boards then the plywood?
    Did you see my statement about go cheap or go long?

Your question begs me to ask........... Do you want to go strong?

Anyone........ and I mean anyone who uses standard boards and not Plywood is going to treat the movement of those pallets with kid glove care...

You will be hard pressed to find 1 out of 100 pallets sitting here in the Almonds that is NOT made out of plywood.

In fact the real debate should be about/////// Some things you will need to consider before burning up your valuable time building things that will be in your operation hopefully a good long while:

1. Thickness of the plywood
    2. How many plys
    3. Full sheet vs gaps
    4. Screws VS nails
    5. Paint vs dip
    6. PT VS non PT
    7. Door entrances opposite or same direction
    8. Door opening size
    9. ??????

What ever you do keep it all uniform.

Nothing like trying to load truck or semi when placing or removing pallets that are all over the board height wise. Very good way to dump bees from 10 feet!

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    Did you see my statement about go cheap or go long?

Your question begs me to ask........... Do you want to go strong?

Anyone........ and I mean anyone who uses standard boards and not Plywood is going to treat the movement of those pallets with kid glove care...

You will be hard pressed to find 1 out of 100 pallets sitting here in the Almonds that is NOT made out of plywood.

In fact the real debate should be about/////// Some things you will need to consider before burning up your valuable time building things that will be in your operation hopefully a good long while:

1. Thickness of the plywood
    2. How many plys
    3. Full sheet vs gaps
    4. Screws VS nails
    5. Paint vs dip
    6. PT VS non PT
    7. Door entrances opposite or same direction
    8. Door opening size
    9. ??????

What ever you do keep it all uniform.

Nothing like trying to load truck or semi when placing or removing pallets that are all over the board height wise. Very good way to dump bees from 10 feet!
    1. Thickness of plywood-- 3/4"
    2. How many Plys -- 5
    3. Full sheets vs. gaps-- gaps (Using spare lumber, seams are very tight together)
    4. Screws vs. Nails-- Every thing is stapled with 1 1/2" staples and then reinforced with two inch screws/ Clips are nailed on with 16 penny common nail.
    5. Paint vs. dip-- not decided yet
    6. Paint vs. non paint-- leaning toward painting with linseed oil.
    7. Door entrances-- 4 way pallet, two on each side, opposite sides from each other.
    8 Door opening-- 5 " openings
    9. ?????-- Not sure.

All pallets will be 48" long and 33" wide.

Mr. Beeman,
    I have access to a hummer bee forklift to move the hives. I have a friend who is commercial and I help him on the side and in turn he supplies me with any equipment I need.

These will all be uniform in size and are built strong. I am one of those that if I can't build it right the first time then when will I find the time to rebuild it.

Also rim boards are made from 3/8 " cedar lath. These are all squared up before screwing together so that there is uniformity when stacking them.

H-4-A - That's the info I was looking for.. Thanks!

Next question - What is the most common decking used and configuration as far as split or whole deck?
    Thomas Bartram

I myself have not seen any migritory pallets that are not made out of 2 X 4's (Treated and untreated) and plywood. All have been 3/4" thick. As far as split or full deck, I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you asking about the opening in the middle or the split boards used in the actual deck where the box is sitting. If it is the opening between the set of hives I was informed that the pollination guys use those so weeds and garbage won't build up between the hives. Falls through. As far as the seam in the deck the guy I help has them both ways and says he has seen no difference at all.

Ok, I'll see if I can reword my questions and make it easier to figure out. lol

What is the most common type of plywood decking used on pallets? ex. Treated 1/2", Treated 3/4", Standard 3/4"......

What is the most common configuration as far as how much plywood is used? ex. Split deck (two pieces with gap between), or Whole deck( Entire top has plywood)

And while at it one last question to go with those two..

When setting up the pallets for use, do you see more with a gap between the front two hives and the rear two hives, or without the gap?
    Thomas Bartram

The most common plywood I've seen used is 3/4 " standard. As far as the configuration, I have only seen the split deck. I have not seen a solid one. I'm sure they are used by someone out there. I have only been told that the commercial guys like the split so weeds, trash or any other garbage won't build up between the hives.

This brings up a question I have.
    Mineral oil vs. Linseed oil. I have access to gallons of mineral oil that I could paint on my pallets for no charge. (I''m a cheap skate) but will it preserve as well as linseed oil.

Hey Jim and honey-4-all I have heard some talk about making a jig to build their pallets. Do you have anything like this that allows you to get them the exact way every time? I know what your saying with stacking. My lids are all over the place. Also what do you use for on top of the deck that the boxes rest on?
    Thanks

Looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Luv2beekeep View Post
    My rim where the box sets is 3/8" lath boards. 5" openings opposite of each other so I hope not to get to much drift.
    Hi I know this is older but I have had a hard time finding 3/8" lath boards. I have found 1/4 inch from homedepot online. I want to use these but feel it is a bit to small. How have you found these lath boards working? Thanks for your reply.

Wes