Best Price for New Frames

Default Best Price for New Frames

Been pricing non-assembled New Medium Wedge Top, Grooved Bottom Commercial Frames - volume in the 1000ish range. I see a big variance between suppliers. Kelly's, Dadant, etc. within a few hour drive to my location in TN. Putting shipping costs aside for the moment, what's the best pricing folks are seeing on frames and where? If I bump the qty up to 3000 how much of a better price might I see? Or do I need to order more to get a pricing break? I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks, Jeff

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Best Price for New Frames

I think you need to call the supplier yourself and ask for their pricing and various quantities. Are you actually going to make a financial decision off what someone else says and not check it out for yourself?
    Regards, Barry

ty for putting this in the "Where to buy" category. I didn't know it existed as I had not been here for awhile. I have been checking it out, as I indicated in my post and am looking for feedback from the members here. Someone may have found a great deal and might want to share it.

If I was looking to buy 1000 to 3000 frames, I wouldn't be asking anyone else what price they paid because the only price that matters is the one the supplier tells me. Besides, you may get a better price simply by asking the supplier. Pricing for this volume of frames is subjective. I just don't understand the thought behind these sorts of threads. A deal you got doesn't mean I'll get the same deal. Pricing changes all the time.
    Regards, Barry

Barry, I see your statement "I just don't understand the thought behind these sorts of threads." Here is a positive regarding a post like mine; Learning where others buy from and do business with is a good thing for consumers. Being relatively new to an area in which members of a forum like this may be from, may enlighten the originator of a thread of an option (supplier in this case) which may not be known and may indeed have superior pricing over other known sources. I am really sorry for initiating my post on your forum as I really didn't mean to create controversy. I personally think learning about as many options as I can from a pool of as many members as are here could be very beneficial. At this point I feel my initial post has been hijacked and as such, please feel free to remove from this site. Again, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    If I was looking to buy 1000 to 3000 frames, I wouldn't be asking anyone else what price they paid because the only price that matters is the one the supplier tells me. Besides, you may get a better price simply by asking the supplier. Pricing for this volume of frames is subjective. I just don't understand the thought behind these sorts of threads. A deal you got doesn't mean I'll get the same deal. Pricing changes all the time.
    Another consideration is how tolerant are you on quality?
    Cost savings can be had if you aren't picky and will use economy budget grade instead of top quality.
    Some suppliers are firm on pricing but one of the largest if you pick up with cash 5000 a good deal can be had.
    This is another reason to keep all your boxes same size weather deep or medium if going sideline or future commercial.
    Also if you buy in the off season more deals happen, NOT in spring when supplies are tight, I'm on back order for deep frames now.
    As Barry said call around, Good Luck

John Pluta http://GeorgiaBees.blogspot.com
    John Pluta http://GeorgiaBees.blogspot.com Common Sense KISS Beekeeping Treated Boxes Bees Full Frames Foundation

My thought is to make sure you will be happy with the frames you buy. I have had some very splintery and cross grain that assumed a twist when assembled. They were not nice to work with. A few cents saved may not pay for the aggravation if the quality is not top notch.
    Frank

Jeffzhear, it's not you. This kind of question comes up all the time. For once I decided to say something, and if it came across as mean spirited, I'm sorry, didn't mean for it to. Again, speaking for myself, I wouldn't go about buying this many frames this way. I would want to talk to the person I'm potentially buying from. There are just a handful of suppliers that make frames, so it's pretty straightforward. If you would like the names and numbers of those suppliers, I'd be happy to give them to you.

And yes, quality is the other side of the coin that impacts the price that directs the purchase. They all work together. Find out what you're getting for the price.
    Regards, Barry

Worry first about quality.

The first batch of frames we purchased were some "seconds" back in the summer of 80... Needless to say they should have been listed as 10ths when it came to using them.

A free frame that jams up the flow is more expensive than free....It will cost you ever time you handle it.... Valuable time.

Go with quality of wood and cut first and strike the price concern to the third position. 3000 frames will not afford you a massive price break so don't look for a killer deal.

For 3000 I would find the best wood and cut with the best at my door price.

I buy pretty large quantities of commercial frames on a yearly basis. The only sure way to get pricing is to spend a little time on the phone with all the major suppliers and get actual price quotes both with and without freight included and also to make sure you specifically ask where their price breaks are. If you want to buy more than one size then be sure to ask if you can combine them to meet a specific quantity (remember in frames the only difference is the end bar). To land a large order they will usually be agreeable to letting you mix and match a second item as long as it dosent require significant extra packing labor in their warehouse.
    Jeffzhear, What are my specific thoughts? Quotes usually come out pretty close despite all the "free shipping" talk that you hear about. You may find the deciding factor is who you feel comfortable doing business with and who you feel will offer the best customer service.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffzhear View Post
    Been pricing non-assembled New Medium Wedge Top, Grooved Bottom Commercial Frames - volume in the 1000ish range. I see a big variance between suppliers. Kelly's, Dadant, etc. within a few hour drive to my location in TN. Putting shipping costs aside for the moment, what's the best pricing folks are seeing on frames and where? If I bump the qty up to 3000 how much of a better price might I see? Or do I need to order more to get a pricing break? I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks, Jeff
    If you check Mann Lake they have 10+ cases of 100 for $83.00. that would make 1000 $830.00 and shipping is free. Not sure with an order like this if they would ship by truck or not though.

Barry I'd be interested in the frame manufactures info you mentioned. I can't use 1000 frames but if I can get a few other beeks to go in we may be able to purchase like that and split them.

The last Dadant/Western frames I bought were 75.60 per hundred in quantities of 5,000 plus shipping. Cant really give a definitive price on shipping except to say it was about $1 per unassembled box with 10 frames and plasticell. Pricing was similar with other major suppliers. Dont forget to factor in ML's 2.5% bee bucks rewards program.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

check your local amish hive shop. my sort of local one is at 55 cents each, white pine. unassembled quantity one or 20,000 [literaly]. no price levels. no phone, no internet no shipping, cash only he will only take a check for a deposit, scheduling [ only sort of].. shop around.

Check Miller's Beekeeping Supplies in North Wilksboro, NC. They have an online catalog with prices.

I picked up some of Millers #2 frames several weeks ago. I put together 50 the other day and they are fine. Good price.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffzhear View Post
    Putting shipping costs aside for the moment, Thanks, Jeff
    Shipping MUST be considered for the final cost, I buy frames 1 to 2K at a time so I can help new keeps get started as cheap as possible. that said I have bought frames for .39 each but the shipping came out to .11 each the last I bought was .52 each and I was able to pick them up (gas money came out to .5 each and the wife got a lunch date.

ALWAYS CALL pricing is different a lot of times from adds and phone calls
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Westernbee.com in poulsen mt sells budget frames for a good price. The budget grade is good enuff for me. Admittedly i am close but i ask to pick up at neaest terminal. The shippers often add a hundred bucks for coming to your address and another for using the liftgate.