What's the max number of hives for 5acers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What's the max number of hives for 5acers

I was jw how many hives can you get on a 5acer peace of land I mean the max number. I was also wanting to ask how many diff kinda bees there are out there to

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: What's the max number of hives for 5acers

bees will forage up to a couple of miles from the hive so how many hives you can keep on 5 acres depends on the forage in the surrounding area most of your questions can be answered here http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm
    first colony out of a log 1983 beekeeping about 15 years. Warning i could be an idiot. I'm from South Jersey.

My guess it about 10,000. lol

Seriously though like J said it depends on what they have to forage on in a 3 mile radius.

I would rephrase question to ask how many colonies the acreage within that 3 mile radius will support, then subtract from that number the managed and feral colonies already present. The difference is what that 5 acres can support. You will then have to consider productivity of that local and factor in the variations due to weather. Ultimately you will find your number by trial and error and the result will be fuzzy / not the same every year. This is a very important question in areas where beekeepers densities are high.

>I was jw how many hives can you get on a 5acer peace of land I mean the max number. I was also wanting to ask how many diff kinda bees there are out there to

The bees don't know you only have five acres. Just don't tell them. The right question is how many can you have in one place and that will depend on the forage.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.ht...nyhivesoneacre
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

90,100.98 hives will fit on 5 cares.. Twice that if you stack them tow high.

3 mile radius in the desert my not be able to support as many hives as 3mile radius in dairy land
    first colony out of a log 1983 beekeeping about 15 years. Warning i could be an idiot. I'm from South Jersey.

I mean we have alot of crop land and some big clover and other sorts of hay fields poeple here raise big gardens and some flowers but within 3 miles there is a pretty good bit of food for them

how many hives do you want to have?

I just want enough to sell a bit and keep some for me to

Start with two. An early mentor told me that two could make a living off the fenceposts---meaning they would find enough. Sounds like you could have more but start with two so you aren't overwhelmed. If you have really done your home work you could easily start with 5-10 but a disaster at that level would really hurt. Disasters happen! Don't bet more than you can afford to lose!

I got enough honey off one hive to sell and keep a couple of pint jars. If you have two strong hives, you should get plenty of honey to sell and keep, depending on the strength of the honey flow.
    Keep you hive tool sharp, your smoker lit, and your veil tight ... It's Bee Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    The bees don't know you only have five acres. Just don't tell them.

I say start with 2 and double each year until you have enough for what you want. In rural Ohio it'll be hard to have more than the local area can sustain.

Yea we have to many crop feilds and not enough bee food to take alot of hives probs idk

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    YEAH But then you have to fence them in so they won't "Bee Free"

Bee fencing is a "Beetch" to keep up

5 acres in the middle of Almonds or Oranges or Cotton or Desert vary massively

John Pluta http://GeorgiaBees.blogspot.com 42 1/8 acre Bee Out Yards
    John Pluta http://GeorgiaBees.blogspot.com Common Sense KISS Beekeeping Treated Boxes Bees Full Frames Foundation

I see you are just north of the Ohio River. If I remember that area correctly you have steep wooded areas to your south and pasture lands with lot of livestock in the surrounding area. More farm land to the north as it levels and maybe a protected forest area to the east. My guess is a lot of wild flora, not much residential.
    I am a beginner but I have read (on this forum) that many of the apiarists max out around 20-30 hives per location. That should give you a good idea to start with. There are some members from the Athens area on the forum, maybe they will give you their opinion.
    Enjoy your bees!

I am just 5-10 miles from the river in a small town name felicity and you are right we have woods and some cows and other animals but it don't flatten out till you go way north of where I live I mean we do have alot of dogwood trees and other trees that also flower but most residents do have some flowers but not to many we have more corn and bean fields then we do anything besides clover and other hays well idk what is to my north other then the small town of bethel and alot of slopes

Vance is right, start with 2 hives.
    There are quite a few Bee Clubs to help you select your bees. Check out the Southwest Ohio Beekeeping Association. YouTube is helpful.
    Purchase your hive equipment local. Learn to make it if you want to get bigger than two hives.
    Read this site for info, search button is helpful.
    Enjoy your bees.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    Is that 8-frame or 10-frame boxes?

don't overlook tree nectar maples, tulip poplar, linden/basswood and locust and others

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast