Small cell foundation

Default Small cell foundation

I have two Russian packages on order for April. Would small cell foundation be better for them?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Small cell foundation

Thank you Admin!

Where do you find small cell foundation?

Quote Originally Posted by tsmullins View Post
    Most of the big box bee supply houses have some form of small cell foundation 4.9mm cell size. Either plastic, or wax.

GOHoney - Depends upon what you mean by being better for them.
    Thomas Bartram

Quote Originally Posted by tsmullins View Post

I buy mine from Walter Kelley. I buy "deep" unwired and cut them in half for mediums. The gap at the bottom is available for the bees to draw out as they wish...

I also use a lot of plastic small cell frames that I get from Mann Lake.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Quote Originally Posted by GOHoney View Post
    I have two Russian packages on order for April. Would small cell foundation be better for them?
    Theoretically it will cause the hive to become more populous faster. That's because there are more cells in small cell foundation than for normal-sized foundation. Therefore the queen can lay more on eggs on a drawn sheet of small cell before having to move to another frame. Theoretical, but in reality, who knows.

I have used the BLACK plastic small cell for the first time in two of my hives (one frame in each). I painted MORE wax on each prior to putting them into the hives. One hive readily accepted it, and drew it out nicely. The other hive balked at it, and drew only some of it out, leaving much of the surface undrawn.

The advantage to the BEEKEEPER is that you can really see eggs or small brood in black plastic foundation. I am going to get more, mostly to play around like Laurie did, with partial sheets mounted on frames. Check out her pics on Beesource.

I have some black pf-120's, you need to be very careful to avoid having them sit in the direct sun.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Quote Originally Posted by GOHoney View Post
    Were they raised on small foundation??? I have read that if the bees were raised on large foundation they have a harder time drawing out small foundation.

On population size.... no. A queen lays 'x' amount of eggs a day, that's the bottom line. Just means same amount of brood on less frames. Mann Lake has small cell wax foundation or plastic frames.

I was reading another post about Carniolans that members indicated it was better to give them small cell. I have one hive of Cari's from a trap out that have done fine on normal foundation. This will be my first time with Russians. I want to give them what they need.

Give them a good home to live in with space as needed and they will be fine. I've used both small cell and standard foundation with them and even let them draw their own comb in NUC's. They do just fine with whatever you give them in that respect. NUC's will tend to draw more worker comb than drone, and if you have your hive nice and level they will draw it straight.
    Thomas Bartram

drlonzo,

That's what I like about the girls. They have a habit of doing their own thing, no matter what I try to tell them.

Yes that's for sure.

I'm not sure whom it is now but there is someone on BS that has a tag line of something like, " After 40 years i've figured out that the bees can fix most of my screw ups". I find that if given the propper amount of time and resources that statement is 100% correct.
    Thomas Bartram

Like!

Quote Originally Posted by drlonzo View Post
    Yes that's for sure.

I'm not sure whom it is now but there is someone on BS that has a tag line of something like, " After 40 years i've figured out that the bees can fix most of my screw ups". I find that if given the propper amount of time and resources that statement is 100% correct.