So excited
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So excited

Smile So excited

I looked in the hive today (fully expecting no moving bees) with the thought they needed more sugar. No sugar was needed and... AND they are still alive! I needed to share with like minded bee folks as my husband just doesn't understand.

Of course the new problem is that I most likely over bought for this up coming season.... Thinking I wanted 4 hives I bought 4 packages of bees thinking I am such a new bee keeper that this hive would end up dead and now it looks like I might have 5 hives come spring!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: So excited

Glad to hear your bees are fine. I did the same today, but I add sugar and pollen patties. I purchased 6 more packages than I presently have hives for planning for the worst. Looks like I will be purchasing new hives also.
    Last edited by GOHoney; 02-07-2015 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GOHoney View Post
    Glad to hear your bees are fine. I did the same today, but I add sugar and pollen patties. I purchased 6 more packages that I presently have hives for planning for the worst. Looks like I will be purchasing new hives also.
    GoHoney- I guess planning for the worst and being surprised isn't such a bad thing!

Good stuff, keep an eye on them though, the most honey gets used when brood raising seriously starts but the nectar flow hasn't started yet, sounds like as long as you get them through this time you have a boomer of a season ahead of you.

Re hubby who doesn't understand, we cannot expect everyone to understand just like you may not want to get under the hood of his car. Long as we all live and let live.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Good stuff, keep an eye on them though, the most honey gets used when brood raising seriously starts but the nectar flow hasn't started yet, sounds like as long as you get them through this time you have a boomer of a season ahead of you.

Re hubby who doesn't understand, we cannot expect everyone to understand just like you may not want to get under the hood of his car. Long as we all live and let live.
    So true Oldtimer-

I am hoping as they made it this far with a few -30 degree days that they will make it a few more months. But I was truly worried that I wouldn't see anything today so I am just super excited that I could see anything in my quick on and off of the cover. (again I was thinking they needed a bit of sugar- but they had a LOT of sugar still under there)

Happy for you MoT. I lost 2 of 7 hives early and was sweating 2-3 more that were seeming low on numbers, today, all 5 flying, and holding their own on the numbers. Not growing but not shrinking. Im happy with that. 2 are booming and the other three are still here.. Fingers crossed. Have fun. G

Yay, congratulations on the good luck and good management so far. Mine were also out flying strong today as it got up in the 60's today

Don't count your bees before winter is over. Many colonies survive up to now - but the queen will starting to lay soon and that means using up more food. And if we get several days or weeks of really cold weather, the bees won't leave the brood to move into honey so they don't starve.

Not trying to be a downer, but I've had hives end up dead in late February and March.

Quote Originally Posted by Mommyofthree View Post
    GoHoney- I guess planning for the worst and being surprised isn't such a bad thing!
    Mommyofthree, Not counting my chickens yet, but things are looking good. After a total lose last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwest PA Beekeeper View Post
    Don't count your bees before winter is over. Many colonies survive up to now - but the queen will starting to lay soon and that means using up more food. And if we get several days or weeks of really cold weather, the bees won't leave the brood to move into honey so they don't starve.

Not trying to be a downer, but I've had hives end up dead in late February and March.
    I hear you Northwest, That's why I'm feeding. I hope to help them make it through. I have lots of sugar cakes made up, on 40 + degree days I will be checking and adding as needed.

Glad to hear your bees are still alive. I will not know about my bees until Mid March. Our high today was 38

Long, long way to go here. -11 this AM, high of +14.
    If you want to be successful, study successful people and do what they do.
    Zone 4a/b

Not to rub salt but ... it was in the mid-60's here today near Mountain View Ar . I was able to do both do a pretty thorough hive check <she's alive and layin' and they still got stores> and make a beer run on the bike . <grin> 60 miles of winding mountain roads <bigger grin>

Plus 4 today that's about 40 F , seven out of seven are alive, If it quits raining I am going to add some plates of wet sugar just in case they need it. Long term forecast is for above freezing for the next 14 days, its early but I am hopeful

Quote Originally Posted by Terry C View Post
    Not to rub salt but ... it was in the mid-60's here today near Mountain View Ar . I was able to do both do a pretty thorough hive check <she's alive and layin' and they still got stores> and make a beer run on the bike . <grin> 60 miles of winding mountain roads <bigger grin>
    That sounds like wearing shorts weather!

No you are just reminding me of the dangers the bees still face. The activity today gives me a glimmer of hope that I did something right but I will refrained from doing the happy dance until April!

I also just finished ordering a couple of packages today and getting excited to get out there with the bees!

I had to scrape a Q-cell from one of mine today. There was also drones flying back to the hive and more to hatch. And it is full of brood from eggs to bees hatching and just hatched. Pouring over with bees so I added another deep box with drawn comb and some honey stores. Wow wild mustard is really kicking this year as is the red maples.

Debbie, from the Northwest PA Downer, but so true! However, I want to do my Spring Dance!
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat ;)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

All beekeepers should bee optimistic with a positive mind set!
    Over the years I have been all over much like a roller coaster ride.
    But the bees are still with me and growing every day stronger than ever.
    All because I took an open mind, creative approach to keep them alive.
    Doing the right bee things at the right moment is the key to beekeeping success.
    I've share your excitement. Keep up the good work.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

OK I'll be the up side. When your overwintered hive booms in the spring and you split it to avoid swarming you'll have six.
    Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast