homemade frames...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default homemade frames...

Im going to make my own frames. I bought 10 just to look and come up with a way to make them simple. I see the top is 1 inch wide from side to side. The sides start at 1.3/8" and drops down to 11/8" at the bottom. im thinking of just making a 1 inch frame all the way around. Is there a certain reason why the sides taper like they do. Or will making it all one size be ok?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: homemade frames...

are you talking about the endbars?

Quote Originally Posted by Billboard View Post
    Im going to make my own frames. I bought 10 just to look and come up with a way to make them simple. I see the top is 1 inch wide from side to side. The sides start at 1.3/8" and drops down to 11/8" at the bottom. im thinking of just making a 1 inch frame all the way around. Is there a certain reason why the sides taper like they do. Or will making it all one size be ok?
    WHY?
    Not very productive use of time compared to cost.
    The taper is for Bee space travel around ends, violate Bee space and Hell to pay with burr comb.

John Pluta http://GeorgiaBees.blogspot.com
    John Pluta http://GeorgiaBees.blogspot.com Common Sense KISS Beekeeping Treated Boxes Bees Full Frames Foundation

Yes the end bars. Will 1 inch be enough for the comb. 1 inch will give them bee space.

Is there a certain reason why the sides taper like they do. Or will making it all one size be ok?
    They're self spacing when pushed together. The taper gives room for bees to move around the sides. I doubt it would be a problem except they wouldn't be self spacing.
    Regards, Barry

Maybe this will help..
    https://www.beesource.com/build-it-yo...t-type-frames/

for steps in the process

I saw that. Thats where i got the plans. That taper is a bit of work. I dont have the tools to put the taper in. Thats why i was thinking of a one size all around frame.

What about the comb. Will 1 inch or 11/8" hold the comb?

Self spacing frames are really not optional, they must be at the correct spacing or you going to play merry he.. getting frames in and out of the boxes.

Stick with the standard design -- 1 1/16" top bars slotted at the ends to carry end bars 1 3/8" wide. You don't absolutely need to cut the taper to make Hoffman end bars, but if you have bees that like to propolize things, they can become almost impossible to get apart. They will also not fit properly in many radial extractors.

If you don't have a jointer, table saw, and accurate band saw making frames is going to be very annoying, to say nothing of time consuming. I'm making 300 this year along with the necessary boxes, and it's taking me all winter since I don't work on them every day. If you have limited tools, stick with making boxes and bases and covers and buy the frames, they are pretty cheap all things considered.

Peter

Its not a problem holding the comb. the center distance to the next comb has to be correct or else the comb will be a mess. the end bars are made from 3/4 inch lumber and when finished they are cut in half to give ya 2.

What about the comb. Will 1 inch or 11/8" hold the comb?
    Sure it will hold the comb. That's really not the issue here. You will have to use a frame spacer if your end bars don't do it for you. That sounds like a major pain to me.
    Regards, Barry

There are different ways to make that bee space, router, table saw, band saw, even jointer. I have done all except jointer. The more you make, the more ideas you will come up with and faster you will get. Look up Ryan beke, free beehive plans on Google. I can't remember the exact site, maybe some one else knows

Are you working with a table saw?

I have the following. Miter saw, i have a router, used it minimal. Circular saw. My dad has all the good tools. Id post a picture of what i made so far but i cant post due to pixal size.

There is a good video on frame making floating around facebook right now. Can't figure out a way to share it here so if you have FB I posted it on my page.
    Dan Goemmel
    Dan

Ok the I pad post pictures here's my idea so far.
    Last edited by Billboard; 02-07-2015 at 07:49 AM.

Not a problem.
    Regards, Barry

It is not a strong frame design. The only place for glue is end grain. All the pull apart, twist strength will be carried by the fastener. They need quite a bit of strength when they get propolized together. All the notches, grooves etc. on the patent frames are there for a purpose.
    Frank

It feels a whole hell of a lot stronger than the ones I bought. I was just looking at frame spacers. That would give me the spacing. The frames glued and stapled, if that's not good enought I'll skip the staple and put a screw in the ends and that will definitely out due the store frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Not a problem.
    is that saying it looks good or I got the picture posted?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast