Do you drive an electrric car..if so do you like it - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Do you drive an electrric car..if so do you like it

In Virginia, we have a couple of nuclear plants that supply much of our base load. Nukes need to be run at a steady power, so it is common to use the nukes for the steady base and fossil fuels for the varying loads, which are typically high during the day. In that power situation, plug-in electrics, charged overnight, make some sense.

Solar charging is tempting, but if your car is at work and not at home when the sun is shining, somewhat of a myth. There are solar electric car packages being sold, but the strategy is more of an offset, supplying solar power to the grid, not your car, during the day, and using grid power at night for charging.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

The Prius V is effectively a small station wagon. With the seats down it will carry nearly as much as our Explorer, and I think would have no problem with a bale of hay, plus a couple of bags of feed, and still have room left. Hybrids work well in the city, although I find they really shine their best in 45 mph suburban driving.

Cost is not much higher than a gasser. Ours has a range of close to 400 miles with reserves ... our routine 130 mile trips to the country would be a problem for electrics.

I've taken to leaving our pickup in WV, for the occasional building materials trip into town.

Not sure how the electric car can be green. If you charge it, which is how it get its power, you still getting electricity made with fossil fuels in in most of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by WBVC View Post
    The car I am replacing was used mainly for driving in the city. It needs to fit a single bale of hay in the rear...I take hay ip to my office but have no place to store it there. We have a large truck for hauling and a tiny gas car that would do for longer distances. BMW has some sort of arrangement where they loan you a gas car for longer journeys if needs be. For me if going a long distance the diesel truck is my preference.
    Just thought an electric car might be a green option to consider.
    Will have to check out the Leaf.
    The Tesla goes close to 500k per charge but is big,pricy and don't think is suited for hay

Also you need to live where the sun does shine��

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebee View Post
    In Virginia, we have a couple of nuclear plants that supply much of our base load. Nukes need to be run at a steady power, so it is common to use the nukes for the steady base and fossil fuels for the varying loads, which are typically high during the day. In that power situation, plug-in electrics, charged overnight, make some sense.

Solar charging is tempting, but if your car is at work and not at home when the sun is shining, somewhat of a myth. There are solar electric car packages being sold, but the strategy is more of an offset, supplying solar power to the grid, not your car, during the day, and using grid power at night for charging.
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

Our power is from running rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by jcolon View Post
    Not sure how the electric car can be green. If you charge it, which is how it get its power, you still getting electricity made with fossil fuels in in most of the country.
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

Forget the expensive electric car with its limitations and go get a VW TDI. I get 45 mpg with the Passat and don't have to drive conservatively, passing all the Prius'. Lots of room for 4 and a big trunk space.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by WBVC View Post
    Our power is from running rivers.
    But your batteries have a horrible environmental impact.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Forget the expensive electric car with its limitations and go get a VW TDI. I get 45 mpg with the Passat and don't have to drive conservatively, passing all the Prius'. Lots of room for 4 and a big trunk space.
    That's what I ended up doing. VW has a new gas engine with about 40mpg for the 2015 model year, but I got a Jetta Sportwagon TDI (standard trans) and I absolutely love it.
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me
    Other times I can barely see. -The Grateful Dead

My wife has been driving the Jetta Sport Wagon TDI for 4 years now. We've taken it to Baltimore and to Seattle. Great car.
    Regards, Barry

Have had several double deep hives in my prius hybrid. 2007 I average 50.5 MPG all the time. Will carry 19' little giant ladder, bales of hay, afew 8' 2x4's, dish washers. AC doesn't affect the gas mileage.
    Dan

I bought a new Prius back in 2006. 170,000 trouble free miles so far. At 100k it got sparkplugs/wires, new belt, 12v battery and radiator flush. It has been the most ecomonical vehicle I've ever owned.
    I would LOVE to have a Tesla model S. You can buy a good low mileage S85 for about $50k. I also like the Volt. I just wish it had a bigger battery. I would pick the Prius plug-in too.

I commute on a Brammo Empulse just about every day above 40F. It doesn't make any economic sense compared to my old Honda CX500 I bought for $800, but it's a lot of fun.

-Squirrel 2x8 Frame Langs USDA Zone 6a

I have had Hyundai Ioniq electric for just over month. The battery (which causes a lot of CO2 emissions to make) is small, under 30 kWh, but so far there has been only one trip I needed to charge on route. It has a very low drag coefficient and 100 km cost me only 1,5€,
    plus 500€ cheaper vehicle tax compared to my previous diesel
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_coefficient

Please allow me to point out a MUCH needed correction to the title of this thread. It currently reads: Do you drive an electrric car..if so do you like it. To be most accurate and factually correct is should read:

Do you drive a NATURAL GAS & COAL BURNING car..if so do you like it.

According to the Energy Information Administration the United States gets about 63% of its electricity from fossil fuels which are predominantly natural gas and coal.

There! I fixed it for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Live Oak View Post
    According to the Energy Information Administration the United States gets about 63% of its electricity from fossil fuels which are predominantly natural gas and coal.
    Bad for you, here in Finland the share of oil, gas and coal in the production of electricity is only 16%.

https://energia.fi/perustietoa_energ...sahkontuotanto

Please allow me to point out a MUCH needed correction to the title of this thread. It currently reads: Do you drive an electrric car..if so do you like it. To be most accurate and factually correct is should read:

Do you drive a NATURAL GAS & COAL BURNING car..if so do you like it.

There! I fixed it for you!
    To actually be factually correct, it depends on where you live, Where I live, an electric car would be 100% hydro powered, with the power coming from the hydro generating station that's only 20km up the road from us. Go a little south of us to Washington state, and it's more likely to be fueled by nuclear. Head over to Europe, and it's likely to be wind powered.

Guess it's a lot like beekeeping, everything is local. What may seem like a 'fix' for you, is terribly flawed here where I live.

There are many variables involved in this decision as to what car to buy.
    I rented a Prius a couple of years ago for a road trip in California and loved it. On the other hand, my son in law just had to buy new (rebuilt) batteries for his older Prius....sort of makes up for the gas efficiency that he has enjoyed.
    IMO,,,,Prius makes sense only if you drive lots of miles, because the batteries will wear out.
    Other variable is cost of electricity vs cost of fuel. The TDI Volks makes sense too, although here diesel is at least a dollar more per gallon. Then again, with the vehicles you already have, maybe costs are not a big concern for you.

The typical combustion engine in a standard vehicle is probably pretty close to 100%. So you would be burning, at least on average, 37% less fossil fuels than with a typical combustion engine.

If you have TVA power in Tennesee, you are actually below 50% carbon emissions. You beat the national average considerably due to hydro and nuclear.

In my area of the world, I am almost exclusively on natural gas/coal. My area is one of those that skew the national average up.

But I am not sure people interested in electric cars all care about fossil fuel consumption. I have a buddy with a Tesla. The power of that thing is incredible. Very fun to drive. Out of my price range though. I am sticking with my gas guzzling Tacoma for now. Can't work bees out of a Tesla anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12