Do you drive an electrric car..if so do you like it
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you drive an electrric car..if so do you like it

I was T boned last week and my car is a write off Upside...after a day in hospital getting tested and imaged I am not a write off...just very sore.

I had not planned on purchasing at this time as my car suited me just fine. A replacement for it would be an Audi A4 station wagon style. My old one was V6 and I think the new are 4 cylindar.

I also have had Mercedes B Class and BMW X1 for the kids...still have the X1. So those vehicles remain serious contenders.

But I am also considering going to electric. One daughter has a Prius hybrid...good on gas but doesn't feel all that solid to drive.

The Teslas have a wider driving range but not much room for bee boxes and are pricier than what I want to pay (around the 100k range in Canada).

So on the radar now are the fully electric BMW i3 and the hybrid Chevy Volt. I am leaning towards going BEV...fully electric.

Any input from folks driving electric vehicles would be appreciated. The BMW costs about 0.02$ a kilometer. Cost...just over 60K
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Do you drive an electrric car..if so do you like it

Does no one drive these gasless vehicles?
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

I'm coming up on the end of my lease of a Leaf. My commute is 40 miles max. It's been great, especially paired with solar panels which has the effect of halving my electricity bill and eliminating gasoline costs. Smooth, quiet, comfortable. No oil changes or smog checks, can use the diamond lane, not a single mechanical problem. Since I leased it, no worries about the life of the battery pack. You start to enjoy poking in the slow lane behind a truck to improve range.

I'm looking for a used flatbed gas guzzler in anticipation of traveling around with the bees as a retirement activity.

Jim in Redlands, CA
    Trying to be prepared for the flow this time...

How do fully electric vehicles fare when the winter temps dip -15 with windchills moving to -30? I would imagine the batteries would get hammered in those temps.

I wonder if heat/AC decreases the range much.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S. Thompson

Cg3 - Yes heat, AC, fan and radio all will put a drain on your battery. Unfortunately, I found that out first hand when in rented an electric vehicl in Denmark. It is very easy to become stranded if you hit traffic, hills, use the heater or AC, and listen to the radio. Great for commuting if you commute is well within the range, but I wouldn't trust it if your trip is pushing 90% of the expected range. We had to have ours towed back to Copenhagen.

Hybrid Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by jcolon View Post
    Hybrid Escalade
    Regular Escalade = 6 mi/gal, Hybrid = 7 mi/gal. Just joking.

E-spice, your ratios were incorrect: it should read gal/mi.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchgobears View Post
    E-spice, your ratios were incorrect: it should read gal/mi.
    I must admit I laughed out loud on that one!

Quote Originally Posted by WBVC View Post
    Does no one drive these gasless vehicles?
    Only those that have money to burn and want to spend it on leading edge technology that costs 3 times what it will down the road. I always let others spend their money first in order to bring me a good cheaper product years later.
    Regards, Barry

Beekeeping in style.

Quote Originally Posted by e-spice View Post
    Regular Escalade = 6 mi/gal, Hybrid = 7 mi/gal. Just joking.

Are you sure you are asking the right people? This is beesource after all. You know, beekeepers?
    Mark Berninghausen

We drive a 2013 Prius V, which is a little larger than a standard Prius. We routinely get 50 mph in the summer, maybe 42 in the winter. For our conservative driving style, we've never found it lacked punch when it needs it. We routinely drive back and forth through mountains, and the car climbs willingly.

The one shortcoming in the mountains is that it has a small battery. On one particular downgrade, it will charge the battery fully before we reach the bottom, so it can't recover that energy and has to switch to engine braking. On really long grades such as the Rockies, it would really need more like a plug-in hybrid's battery to efficiently recover downhill energy.

It is a strange little vehicle for someone used to gassers, but we've found little about it that is not well-built, other than a spot in the air ducts where mice will enter if you are not careful.

I'd have one if they were practical around here, and by practical I mean priced reasonably in addition to being functional. The electrics seem to be ok for fairly short urban commutes, but not so much in an area in which a hundred mile drive one way is not unusual. I'm not sure how they are at hauling a payload or towing something, which is also common here.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

For whatever it might be worth....I've nearly been run over a couple of times in parking lots by electric/hybrids. I think they ought to have a speaker in front that make car sounds.
    I am only half joking. I wonder if anyone has studied the number of dogs and cats...or pedestrians...... that get run over for lack of warning. Just saying.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Some of the upper end have functions that keep the battery temp within optimal range.

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
    How do fully electric vehicles fare when the winter temps dip -15 with windchills moving to -30? I would imagine the batteries would get hammered in those temps.

Knowing that the Prius is notoriously stealthy in electric mode, when we first got it I noticed a neighbor walking her grandchild down our "mews" (alley behind the homes). I pulled in behind them and patiently followed at about 20 ft, to see if they would notice. Finally, granny turned around and was startled to see me there.

The strangest part of this is that she also drives a Prius. Even somebody who knows about it can't hear them. This is probably true of all electrics at low speed.

Yes, they are stealthy. But I always try to remember that pedestrians may not hear me, even in a gasser. This is particularly true if they are wearing headphones or earbuds. I learned to think of myself as silent and invisible because I'm a long-time bicyclist.

Where I live (Utah), most of our electricity is generated by coal burning. It may seem more environmentally friendly, but with all the coal burning and the toxic chemicals in the batteries, I don't know if the technology is ready yet. I'm still waiting to make the change to electric only. I would look at the hybrids.

The car I am replacing was used mainly for driving in the city. It needs to fit a single bale of hay in the rear...I take hay ip to my office but have no place to store it there. We have a large truck for hauling and a tiny gas car that would do for longer distances. BMW has some sort of arrangement where they loan you a gas car for longer journeys if needs be. For me if going a long distance the diesel truck is my preference.
    Just thought an electric car might be a green option to consider.
    Will have to check out the Leaf.
    The Tesla goes close to 500k per charge but is big,pricy and don't think is suited for hay

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Digman View Post
    I'd have one if they were practical around here, and by practical I mean priced reasonably in addition to being functional. The electrics seem to be ok for fairly short urban commutes, but not so much in an area in which a hundred mile drive one way is not unusual. I'm not sure how they are at hauling a payload or towing something, which is also common here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast