Swarm or bait trap help for newbie - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Swarm or bait trap help for newbie

Thanks for the insite, I will probly go with the mediums for now since it is time to start getting them out and try to come up with somemore lumber so I can do better at some point. I don't need to do too good as I am equipment starved and intend to stay that way untill I have had bees and see what it intails.
    Thanks for allowing the thread steal and I will try to be quiet now.
    gww

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Another question that probably should be obvious ... I will leave a trap in the bee yard, of course, in full sun like my hives, but would a trap hive be more successful in the shade, like, in the woods, or in full sun?
    and how high off the ground? Honey bee convenient, or beekeeper convenient?
    begging places to put my "honey bee swarm collection boxes" now, but have no experience at this.
    thanks.

[QUOTE=gww;1219911]ctotha
    I beg forgiveness if I use your thread to ask a question that I hope is on topic but selfish. I had a bee keeper stop by today who says he will give me a bit of old comb for my traps. He was concerned that bigger swarms might pass by due to the size of my intended traps being too small. Does the forum believe that 10 frame mediums are too small to be used as swarm traps?

No problem I'm learning from these questions you're posting.
    Thanks

Ctotha
    Thank you very much.
    gww

Quote Originally Posted by tech.35058 View Post
    Another question that probably should be obvious ... I will leave a trap in the bee yard, of course, in full sun like my hives, but would a trap hive be more successful in the shade, like, in the woods, or in full sun?
    and how high off the ground? Honey bee convenient, or beekeeper convenient?
    begging places to put my "honey bee swarm collection boxes" now, but have no experience at this.
    thanks.
    Bees don't really care if it's in the sun or shade, just so long as it is properly vented.

I've had bees find swarm traps and move in when the traps were 8' off the ground to a few inches off the ground in old equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    Bees don't really care if it's in the sun or shade, just so long as it is properly vented.
    How would I know if it was properly vented? The only hole I have going into my hive is the 1 1/4 inch doorway. I'm thinking after your post this is not enough.

Interesting thread!

I've also wondered about what's necessary to to properly vent a trap. Do I need a top vent so air can be circulated easier?

I made a couple of stacked medium nuc boxes that I'm going to try as swarm traps this year.

swarm traps.jpg

The traps I've had near the ground on stacked concrete blocks all ended up with lots of ants, some roaches. I had two near barns but about 6' up and got wasps nests. Does anyone have ways to prevent these pest problems?

Maybe I should start a new thread? Mr Beeman's post about equipment on the ground made me think of it.

I wondered about the venting question too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenww View Post
    The traps I've had near the ground on stacked concrete blocks all ended up with lots of ants, some roaches. I had two near barns but about 6' up and got wasps nests. Does anyone have ways to prevent these pest problems?
    Put no honey, sugar or dead brood in the bait hives.

It's all about improving your odds. Nothing is fool proof, but the bees generally know what they are looking for. If you can give them a home that fits their criteria as closely as possible, they'll choose your trap. If they find something more typical, they'll go with the competitor's site.

For a good understanding of what they like, read Dr. Seeley's book.

Some of the things they are looking for, in my order of importance:
    - a nest previously occupied by bees
    - meaning, smells of wax, propolis, queen substance
    - 40 liters in volume
    - not damp or drafty
    - has some drawn comb in it
    - entrance size of 5-10 square cm (I think, don't remember this one)
    - 10 feet off the ground
    - entrance facing south or south east
    - entrance near the bottom
    - partial shade

That's just a few of the important ones, in my opinion. Doesn't mean you have to follow all of them. If you get 8 out of 9, but want to put the bait hive 2 feet off the ground, you very well could catch a swarm. But it depends on other available cavities in the area. If the bees find another cavity that is 30 liters in size, but meets every other criteria, then it comes down to a vote.

As far as the comb goes, I usually only use dark comb frames. The old, dark frames rarely get destroyed by wax moths. If you don't have any, you can use newer frames, but I'd suggest spraying it with BT. If you don't have any drawn frames, you can use foundation.

One frame positioned somewhere in the box is usually fine. I shoot for the center, but it doesn't always work like that.

I usually don't put more frames than that in there (i.e. no extra frames of foundation or foundationless frames). I don't see it increasing or decreasing the chances of catching a swarm, and the bees are often not too keen on following my foundationless guides when provided an entire open cavity to use (or half, or whatever). They usually only build straight combs if placed between two drawn combs, which doesn't happen in a bait hive.

At least, that's my take on it. I don't have as much experience as odfrank or Charlie though.

Just had LGO or an artificial lure were in them. I was thinking of a wire mesh.i wonder if a wasp would go through mesh big enough for a queen to go through? Or maybe mesh would prevent swarms from being interested ?

I don't have any ideas on th ants.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialkayme View Post

As far as the comb goes, I usually only use dark comb frames. The old, dark frames rarely get destroyed by wax moths. If you don't have any, you can use newer frames, but I'd suggest spraying it with BT. If you don't have any drawn frames, you can use foundation.
    Brain lock here.............what is the BT you're referring to?

>what is the BT you're referring to?
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beeswaxmoths.htm#Bt
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    >what is the BT you're referring to?
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beeswaxmoths.htm#Bt
    MB got it.

>> For a good understanding of what they like, read Dr. Seeley's book.

This is not a complete book, but rather a Cornell Cooperative Extension pamphlet by Dr. Seeley, Bait Hives for Honeybees:
    http://ecommons.cornell.edu/bitstrea...ney%20Bees.pdf
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I was wondering if somebody could tell me what A properly vented bait hive is. I am using an eight frame deep with 4 inches extra on the bottom.

I have had good luck with old hive bodies. I use a regular top and cut bottom boards out of plywood. I screw the plywood to the bottom of the hive body. It fits flush to the hive. I then use a 1 1/8 spade drill bit and make a hole in the front of the hive body about an inch from the bottom. I then screw a solid electrical plate (from Lowes for $1) into the hive body near the drilled hole so I can rotate it over the hole to close the entrance. This way when I get a swarm I just slide the cover over the hole to trap the bees. I use 2-3 drops of Lemon Grass oil I got from the local health store ($5) and 1 pheromone bee lure. I use old frames, some with plasticell that I cut into 4" strips and some frames without anything. I had a 70% success rate with these traps last year by placing them on structures 6-8 feet high. It is a great use for old worn out hive bodies and frames. I will try to post a photo of one of them.

I would like to see a photo.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    <snip> I tried eight frame wine boxes for a few years but felt they were less successful than larger traps.
    Did you have to go to the trouble of emptying all the wine boxes?

"Sorry Hon, I need to make another swarm trap, we need to drink another case of Burgundy"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12