Swarm or bait trap help for newbie
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Swarm or bait trap help for newbie

I have two questions. I am going to build my first bait trap. After reading a lot of people's post I am going to use an 8 frame deep. I also live in Houston Texas. I'm going to use the lemongrass oil and some type of swarm lure. I am going to put deep frames inside(wood with dipped plastic). Also I've only been a beekeeper since April 2014.
    Here's my first question I read a lot of people are using drawn out comb in their bait trap and beekeepers around here told me drawn frames will just attract wax moths. Should I use one, two,... Or not any drawn out frames.
    Second question Can some people send me some photos of what's really work for them for their bait traps? If you have any unique ideas which have really worked write or send those photos also.
    Thank you
    Cody

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Swarm or bait trap help for newbie

Drawn comb is like gold to beekeepers. One drawn comb alone will attract swarms IF there is a hive in the area. Your set up will work.

Go easy on the LGO and lure. Too much is not better. Some black comb and LGO is all you need. I filled out traps with Ritecell frames last year and caught less than traps full of comb. But at the end of the season I combined all Ritecell into a box that had already caught a swarm and I caught a nice one on the all Ritecell with no lure at all.

"Should I use one, two,... Or not any drawn out frames."

We have been pleased with the results of using one frame of drawn comb and the rest, foundationless. We have a similar climate to yours and have not had a problem with wax moths in the drawn comb in swarm traps. To me, swarm traps are one of the most enjoyable parts of beekeeping. Cheers,
    David Matlock

The pink box is an old 8 frame deep a commercial beekeeper gave me when I first started. Up to 17 swarms in just this one box. I was going to paint it but I decided to just leave it alone after it proved itself. It had been used for years before I got it and had that lived in smell. That with old brood comb is your best bet with just a touch of lemongrass oil rubbed around the entrance.

I would talk to other beekeepers and see if you can buy a used box with old comb in it. You'll find that most commercial guys will swap a new box for an old one. Your chances of catching a swarm with a new box and frames with just foundation without drawn comb are greatly diminished compared to old equipment.

image.jpg
    My opinions are based on whatever OD Frank says because he thinks he knows everything!

I don't have much experience, I only wanted to mention something someone else already pointed out. You may want to use foundationless frames in your traps along with an old comb and maybe one foundation. This will cost a little less and free up your foundations for other uses. The trap will appear to have more space available to scout bees. Also, the bees should draw out the foundationless frames just fine if they want more comb. I researched this a bit as I have six, eight frame traps this year and need to cut costs. Hope this helps a little and good luck to you.
    Natural Beekeeping Information at
    http://georgefamilycrafts.com/

> I'm going to use the lemongrass oil and some type of swarm lure.

AND? Lemongrass oil IS swarm lure. If you are going to only use one thing, that's what I would use. Other things that help are QMP (either pseudo queen or queen juice) and old black brood comb. The blacker the better... but four drops or less of lemongrass oil is the ticket.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Ctothea,
    I am located about 55 miles south of Houston, I am a newbie (started last summer). I caught six swarms using traps made out of old plywood (see attachment) and four to six drops of lemongrass oil without any honeycomb. To my surprise swarms moved into the traps within a week, I have four top bar hives, two of the swarms I caught absconded. In my traps I used 20" long bars that I "borrowed" from my hives, this made the colony transfer from trap to hive simpler. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Scott,
    One would think that a fellow competent to develop a good swarm lure would have a little wisdom related to the topic of the original post to share.

Surely you have time to share such experience and not just plug your product?

Ctothea,

All you need is chunk old black comb so that its smell is in the swarm trap.

Speaking of smells, I noticed I didn't catch any bees in a trap I hung after eating a processed meat sandwich last year.

I don't think the smell of spam grease was attractive to the bees, so as for me, I'll avoid repeating that particular mistake in the future.

Sorry to jump in but what position to you put the old comb? Off to the side or right in the middle.

>Sorry to jump in but what position to you put the old comb?

It just doesn't matter.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

If you don't have enough comb for all your traps, would it work to cut half out of one frame and use it in another?

Quote Originally Posted by Riverderwent View Post
    "Should I use one, two,... Or not any drawn out frames."

We have been pleased with the results of using one frame of drawn comb and the rest, foundationless. We have a similar climate to yours and have not had a problem with wax moths in the drawn comb in swarm traps. To me, swarm traps are one of the most enjoyable parts of beekeeping. Cheers,
    I use the same set-up; In one of my traps wax moths did mess things up. I also use lemongrass oil. I take an old piece of sock and cinch an 8-inch tie wrap onto it. After putting 2 drops of LMO on it I stuff the sock into the trap, leaving the tie wrap hanging out to make it easier to retrive. About every 10-14 days I put another 2 drops of LMO.

ctotha
    I beg forgiveness if I use your thread to ask a question that I hope is on topic but selfish. I had a bee keeper stop by today who says he will give me a bit of old comb for my traps. He was concerned that bigger swarms might pass by due to the size of my intended traps being too small. Does the forum believe that 10 frame mediums are too small to be used as swarm traps?

If this post is out of line please tell me and I will start a new topic.
    Thank you
    gww

I'm a beginner, but I've caught one swarm with a ten frame medium. I made a special bottom for it with 1x3s for the sides and a round hole drilled on the front so I didn't have to drill the super. I call them deep bottoms. It ends up about the size of a ten frame deep. I use them for tops in the winter. They're just right for feeding sugar cakes. Also makes a great top entrance

Ken
    Yes, thank you for your responce. I am using normal bottoms with the entrance reduced a bit with a peice of wood that I will close the entrance with if I catch anything. He said stack them but that would take my six traps and make them three.
    gww

I bet you'll catch more with six singles than three doubles, even though six doubles might be better. Probably someone with more experience will join this conversation.

A small swarm will go into a large trap but a large swarm will not fit into small trap. I tried eight frame wine boxes for a few years but felt they were less successful than larger traps.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    A small swarm will go into a large trap but a large swarm will not fit into small trap
    You have unbelievable insight Ollie.
    My opinions are based on whatever OD Frank says because he thinks he knows everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    You have unbelievable insight Ollie.
    Charlie, if you ever get the insight that I have gotten in my 45 years of swarm catching, you might catch swarms like these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3zB61HDtXs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWujzDDUERM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWcI7nBpUHM

And then you can make brilliant videos like I do also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast