Vegans don't eat honey?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Vegans don't eat honey?

I offered a lady at work a small jar of honey. She said that she was vegan and didn't eat it. I knew vegans didn't eat animal products but honey was a surprise to me.
    Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Vegans don't eat honey?

They don't. It's because we enslave the bees and force them to work apparently.

That's what they think, their loss.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S. Thompson

A friend who offered honey to a vegan was told "no thanks that's the food that was stolen from the baby bees" Go figure.
    Johno

Now this one, is gonna start another WAR...of words and opinions...of hurt feelings and desire for convincing and or unconvincing.

But it will be, a positive gain, for sure...in human relationship building in the VIRTUAL world. For those that care to observe and learn how we build these types of interactions that is.

Vegans vs. Vegetarians vs. Organic vs. Non-Organic vs. Natural vs. Locally grown vs. Factory Farming vs....
    GOOD vs. BAD.

Yes, indeed, I am all ears...looking forward to also see how this thread will unfold. Because, IT WILL UNFOLD. Y'all just grab a seat and watch.
    Last edited by apis maximus; 01-30-2015 at 07:19 AM. Reason: POOR grammar

she should get it from the store where no bees had to be robbed to get it.

And just to stir up this freshly started pot a little bit...also consider the question whether honey (take your pick on how you'll define it but do include the spectrum of organic-----non-organic just so we got it covered) is good for the diabetics?
    No discrimination in the diabetic's world of wonder...equal opportunity employer...across races, gender, economic status, nationality...
    Last edited by apis maximus; 01-30-2015 at 07:38 AM. Reason: spelling

This could be an interesting thread for sure. I've been told "true" vegans won't eat honey due to the exploitation of animals (the bees) used to obtain it. Other vegans have told me it's ok for them to eat since it's a "plant" product. Go figure. To me this is along the lines of someone saying "I'm treatment free, but I use powdered sugar dusting for mites."
    Fidalgo Island
    Sea level, Puget Sound, USDA 7a-7b

He didn't offer it on a honey baked ham did he?

http://store.veganessentials.com/bee...ute-p3733.aspx

image.jpg

Made from apples. I hope they were hand pollinated and no bee labor was used.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeGora View Post
    I offered a lady at work a small jar of honey. She said that she was vegan and didn't eat it. I knew vegans didn't eat animal products but honey was a surprise to me.
    I was surprised by that one time too. We all have our own ideas on life and what is right for us ourselves. I have never had a vegan knock at my door asking had I heard of the Gospel of Veganism. Let's respect those who may see things differently.
    Mark Berninghausen

"A unique sweetener with the perfect hint of tartness, Bee Free Honee is “apple honey” in that it’s made from apples and not bees! Using only three all-natural ingredients (apple, beet sugar and lemon juice), there’s nothing remotely artificial, and it contains absolutely no added colors and no corn syrup.

Bee Free Honee is made in Minnesota using strictly Midwest apples. The bottles and caps are from nearby in-state manufacturers as well as the boxes, labels and printing, making this a truly local item that supports local business.

Use Bee Free Honee in your favorite recipes anywhere you’d normally use honey or agave nectar, add it to beverages for a great natural sweetener, top off your desserts, pancakes and waffles…anywhere that you can use the sweetness and flavor of honey, you’ll have Bee Free Honey as the perfect cruelty-free alternative."

Now that seems to cross the line for me. That is mislabeling. There are so many beekeepers up in arms about "Honey Blend" and even pollenless honey these days, saying neither is honey and shouldn't be labeled as honey and here comes this stuff. It isn't Honey and shouldn't be labeled as such, no matter how cutely misspell "honee". Whose Dept of Ag do I report these guys to?
    Mark Berninghausen

I love vegans....more meat and apparently honey for me.
    zone 5b
    Back in 2019!

What about exploiting and killing worms?

It pretty tough to plant an apple tree without digging in the dirt. How do you dig a hole without killing worms and other soil dwelling creatures?
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    "A unique sweetener with the perfect hint of tartness, Bee Free Honee is “apple honey” in that it’s made from apples and not bees! Using only three all-natural ingredients (apple, beet sugar and lemon juice), there’s nothing remotely artificial, and it contains absolutely no added colors and no corn syrup.

Bee Free Honee is made in Minnesota using strictly Midwest apples. The bottles and caps are from nearby in-state manufacturers as well as the boxes, labels and printing, making this a truly local item that supports local business.

Use Bee Free Honee in your favorite recipes anywhere you’d normally use honey or agave nectar, add it to beverages for a great natural sweetener, top off your desserts, pancakes and waffles…anywhere that you can use the sweetness and flavor of honey, you’ll have Bee Free Honey as the perfect cruelty-free alternative."

Now that seems to cross the line for me. That is mislabeling. There are so many beekeepers up in arms about "Honey Blend" and even pollenless honey these days, saying neither is honey and shouldn't be labeled as honey and here comes this stuff. It isn't Honey and shouldn't be labeled as such, no matter how cutely misspell "honee". Whose Dept of Ag do I report these guys to?
    Made from apples not bees!!??? You monsters! Pressing bees to extract the honey!!!! ;-))

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post

I emailed them in summer of 2014 expressing your thoughts exactly. I received a reply that stated something to the effect that they are sorry I feel the way I do.
    Notice the use of all the buzz words? "apple honey, all-natural, nothing artificial, local, in-state, cruelty free, non GMO".

I'm sure they will be glad to hear from everyone- bee free honey dot com. I guess w Hole food s loves them.

Par for the course these days.

Quote Originally Posted by cwood6_10 View Post
    He didn't offer it on a honey baked ham did he?
    😅 This is good stuff. 😅

For the most part it is just another example or flavor of idealism. A way of identifying as being different, superior, and at the same time gives one a group to belong to. On a practical note raising bees for honey is a very expensive way to produce food calories when all inputs are considered on a strict accounting basis. It pales in comparison though to a lot of other human activity.
    Frank

Eh....offer the jar two or three years from now. She probably will abandon the vegan train by then. Back when I was in college (just a few years ago), most of my peers were getting acquainted with these new ideas, includining veganism, that they weren't raised with. I had a buddy that went vegan in his freshman year and by his senior year he couldn't stand it anymore. Lol...he went to the most extravagant steakhouse around and ordered the biggest, juiciest steak they had, cooked rare I might add. He told me that it was like a "hit of ecstacy", literally....he said that.
    I know this won't be the case for all vegans, but it was definitely the trend for folks I've known.
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    For the most part it is just another example or flavor of idealism. A way of identifying as being different, superior, and at the same time gives one a group to belong to.
    You hit the nail square on the head crofter.
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast