wiring frames

Thread: wiring frames

Default wiring frames

Watched a youtube video of someone wiring deep frames, using non-wired foundation and using fishing line to hold the foundation in with a "x" on both sides. Has anyone else tried this and been successful? By being successful I mean, not having bees chew the line or the wax, by the line. I think the video said 8lb. line, what lb. line as anyone else tried? Not set up to wire foundations, so thought I may try this alternative. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: wiring frames

queenbee, I use this method in my deep boxes all the time.The only thing is that I use 50lb.fireline fishing string.Works well and can be pulled out of comb for comb honey.

I tried it going left & right across the frames and it sure holds the foundation good.Takes a lot of time though.

Tried and went back to wire. I couldn't get the line tight enough when I was tying the knot.

I tried line too but went back to wire. I preferred it embedded which is what I do with wire. I couldn't get the fishing line tight enough either.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I tried it and it works. I used 20# line since that is what I had on hand. That said,I have gone back to wire because, for me, it's faster and it's permanent. You will sometimes find a piece of fishing line hanging out the front door.
    54+ years 16 colonies Treat using OAV
    http://99-40.com

When wire is embedded very few cells are left unlaid. Fishing line creates more disruption. I have used heavy monofilament to string frames that are going to be drawn out free form by the bees. The nylon gets incorporated nicely that way if the hive is level. I find wire easier to work with though and the expense is virtually nothing.
    Frank

Don't use 8lb. the bees will chew through it and haul it out of the hive. You will be wasting your time.

Crofter where are you getting that virtually for nothing wire?

Quote Originally Posted by noljohn View Post
    Crofter where are you getting that virtually for nothing wire?
    That was poetic license! I never figured it out to the cent per frame basis but it is low on my list of bee expenditures. Doesnt rank with hive tools I have lost or queen catcher clips squished in pockets.
    Frank

I have tried it already. Found out that the lines will sag with the comb and became wobbly.when not able to
    tie them securely to the frame. Sometimes the bees will not draw the sides to secure the comb.
    Sometimes the bees will chew thru the line when they not like it. The bottom 1/3 of the comb will not bee drawn
    because the last line indicated to them it was the bottom of the frame. But it is not, to me.
    So will go back to the wires again this season. I still have a lot of those to go.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

" The bottom 1/3 of the comb will not bee drawn because the last line indicated to them it was the bottom of the frame." Would that be the reason Fat Bee Man shows using the X design with the fishing line so there is no bottom line causing the bees to stop before reaching the frame and attaching to it.

The Fat Beeman had a video out on Utube showing exactly how he does the job. Firstly he does both sides of the deep foundation, then he also goes diagonally, start on the R/H top to the bottom left up the side to the L/H top then finishes thru the right bottom. He ties no knots either, using 5/8 nails to start and finish. The nail is put in the side and left 1/8 proud the nylon is wrapped around the nail 3 times and the nail is hammered home and the excess cut off the line should be fed from the finish point so you can use the spool to tighten the line, wrap around the nail and hammer down, It takes a little time to get used to doing it this way but with the nylon both sides the foundation is held as tight as a drum. When there is a flow on my bees drew that foundation out without a problem, although I have had some hives leave gaps where the nylon was.
    Johno

I watched FBM's video on this. I did it last year and work out great. I used 20lb test line.

johno, thanks, that's how I did mine after watch FBM video. I used 20lb. test, I'll put the frames in when we get a flow going and see how they do. Hope it doesn't end up being a waste of time, maybe just a learning experience.

We never wax foundation any longer, the are easy to break when storing them, cost more to do, the time the take to build, the bees can eat the wax at the corners and bottoms so it isn't a full frame.
    We use black plastic foundations, littler easier to see the eggs and if there is a problem like laying workers, wax moths, etc. easy to just scrape all the wax off and start over again (not that we like to do this and hope for none of the above problems.)
    WHEN we were making wax and not plastic we used a clamp to pull the sides of the frames in when wiring so when tied and released the wire would be tight. Hope this is a little help.
    Last edited by Admin; 02-01-2015 at 01:15 PM. Reason: ad