Simple Queen rearing Calander from Glenn Apiaries - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: Simple Queen rearing Calander from Glenn Apiaries

Are there any tip out there on getting the bees to take to the mating nucs?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Last year I filled my mating nucs and left them every few hundred feet down our road and left them for a couple night before moving them to the mating yard. Kind of extreme I thought but it worked. I doubt this is regular practice with most breeders. lol
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Last year I filled my mating nucs and left them every few hundred feet down our road and left them for a couple night before moving them to the mating yard. Kind of extreme I thought but it worked. I doubt this is regular practice with most breeders. lol
    Ian - Are you using standard frame mating nuc's or mini's of some sort?
    Thomas Bartram

Quote Originally Posted by drlonzo View Post
    Ian - Are you using standard frame mating nuc's or mini's of some sort?
    mini's
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    mini's
    Are the frames already drawn? If so most of the bigger outfits just scoop them up out of a shaken tub and pour them in about a cup to each one with some syrup, then put them out with a queen cell from what i have seen videos of so far. Others talk about getting brood frames from other hives and cutting them down for the mini's to keep the bees put.
    Thomas Bartram

The small styrofoam mini's work pretty good, because they close bee tight with ventilation, and have a place for feed. What I found works best on those is: Shake bees from another apiary into a tub, then add feed, a cell and 2/3 of a cup of bees into them. Close them up and place in a dark cool place for 3 days, then place in the location you want, and open the door. My problem is I built mini nucs that did not have feeders. That made that process less effective. I had to build a custom box to hold my mini frames, and place them on another hive to get drawn out and filled with feed. I then placed the bees with a frame of feed.

sharp dog, will the bees drawn comb on foundation during the three day close up?
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    sharp dog, will the bees drawn comb on foundation during the three day close up?
    Well squarepeg, I'm not sure. I only have 2 mini's with built in feeders, and when I first got them, I cut drawn comb out of a full sized frame and placed it in the mini. It is slow and painful. I have read on this site somewhere that they will draw foundation in that time.

2 years ago I built a bunch of mini's without feeders, and the first year conditions were just right and everything was easy. Last year everything seemed difficult, but what seemed to work best was to add a cup of bees and close them up as described above. But not having feeders, I scooped a few table spoons of granulated honey into them, after I learned what happens if they don't have feed.��

This year I'm switching designs again��

understood sd, thanks for sharing. it would be interesting to me if the bees would start building comb while closed up with a feeder in anticipation of an emerging queen. keep us posted!
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

oh ya, a cup full of young bees on foundation in the mini nuc and syrup, frames get drawn out quick
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345