Where to buy irradiated pollen?

Default Where to buy irradiated pollen?

A spin off from another thread. Where can one buy irradiated bee pollen (Chinese or otherwise) in bulk?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Where to buy irradiated pollen?

What for?
    Mark Berninghausen

Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    What for?
    This was my reason for asking from another thread. As this seemed to be in Canada (and later posts state that the pollen is personally imported), I thought I would ask about availability. Just curiosity, but not enough to kill the cat as it were.

Quote Originally Posted by jean-marc View Post
    My recipe is:
    20 L water
    60 kg of the finest irradiated Chinese bee pollen
    60 kg granulated sugar
    10 kg soya flour just to dry the mix up.

In my experience anything less than this can damage bees. Nature can be stingy here as far as bees go on account of all the rain. If we use commercially available patties with up to 15% pollen we do not get good results. The problems come when we start with 10 frames of bees and end up with 4-5 frames of bees after feeding those patties. We have a tendency to start a bit early. Bees need pollen in those situations not soya, not brewers yeast. We have damaged our bees on more than one occasion with wrong patties. At times too with poor foraging weather and too high levels of soya or brewers yeast we constipate the bees and inflict big damage. We have done this on more than one occasion. Now we start a little bit later and we do not push the bees as hard, i.e. we give smaller patties to start. We also get very good results by placing irradiated pollen in the empty cells next to the cluster. We splash Caspian solution on top to wet it. In a day or two the pollen has been processed by the bees and is stored in the cells. They use it at their leisure. THey brood up following some cues they get from nature. Some colonies start using it immediately others wait 10 days 2 weeks. Just depends... bees being bees and all.

Jean-Marc

I don't know where you can find it. As I suspected someone wanted to make pollen patties. So thanks. But most people I am aware of don't use pollen in their patties, that's why most of the bee supply outlets sell Protein Patties, not Pollen Patties.
    Mark Berninghausen

This is an older thread, but I came across it on a search.

It's my understanding that you can't import Chinese (or any other country for that matter) bee pollen into the United States. You can import it into Canada, but you have to jump through some hoops, one being that it has to be shipped directly to a processor for irradiation.

Am I correct? Or is there a way to import Chinese bee pollen into the US?

I gave a whole small beeyard foulbrood from feeding natural pollen in patty form. I will ONLY use irradiated pollen if I use it in patties. The radiation kills all pathogens.The upside to that was, I learned to make good patties with protien powder. No pollen.

One year later:

Is irradiated pollen no longer a product?? I can't seem to find it anywhere online. Better bee link was dead/doesn't claim that it's pollen is irradiated. Also, I was told Glorybee used to carry, but they don't.

Any ideas?

I can help with a cheap source (in my oppinion) of chinesse pollen .....
    I dont know exactly the price but a years ago was about 11$ per 2,2lb for whole granule bee pollen .... He also sell irradiated bee pollen.
    Send me if you are interested email at [email protected]
    Last edited by Florin94; 09-29-2016 at 01:41 PM.

Where to buy powder pollen.

I know yellow pine pollen is low in protein (+/- 7%), and doesn't make the cut for a good source for bees. However, pine pollen is rich in a variety of other micronutrients such as Vitamins A B-Carotene, B1, B2, B3, B6, Folic Acid, Vitamin D, and Vitamin E. Its host of minerals include Calcium, Copper, Iron, Manganese, Magnesium, Molybdenum, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Silicon, Sodium, and Zinc. Oh, and another plus: Pine Pollen contains over twenty amino acids and all eight essential amino acids.

So I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to use it as part of a patty recipe? We have so much of it in the southeast, everything is coated with it in mid March.

Quote Originally Posted by jadebees View Post
    I gave a whole small beeyard foulbrood from feeding natural pollen in patty form. I will ONLY use irradiated pollen if I use it in patties. The radiation kills all pathogens.The upside to that was, I learned to make good patties with protien powder. No pollen.
    Yeah, I've heard horror stories about using it. The expense for using it on a larger scale is already high, once you add in the risk variable it just isn't worth it.

I have never seen irradiated pollen. It differ from unirradiated pollen? How can we be sure that it has been irradiated?

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo Gomes View Post
    I have never seen irradiated pollen. It differ from unirradiated pollen? How can we be sure that it has been irradiated?
    As we all know, pollen is considered a "superfood" in the health/supplement industry, and you can make some money collecting and selling it for human consumption. But buying it to feed your bees is a little like dividing by zero if you're trying to run a profitable operation.

It is illegal to import bee pollen into the US from any country. I'm sure the EU is equally as restrictive about importation from non-EU countries. Researchers can get permits to do it, but beyond that it's a no-go. China, or parts of the developing world would be the only source of bee collected pollen at a reasonable price. I think they can do it in Canada, but it has to be shipped directly to an irradiation facility, and then certified or something. I've no idea, I've never run bees in Canada. Buying enough US produced pollen for bee feed would be insanely expensive, you're competing with human consumption and the supplement industry.

Even IF (and that's a big IF) you could get cheap bee collected pollen from a developing country, then you have to worry about the source of the pollen. Who the hell knows what you're getting, and what kind of crap you might be putting into your hives.

Thank you Qvox. It was the curiosity that led me to put the question. Where I have bees they collect pollen most of the year. I am not a queen breeder, I do not pollination services, so I do not see the need to give them pollen.

Eduardo, you're welcome.

I must admit, years ago I was interested in the "Caspian Solution" which called for bee pollen. But when I couldn't find any real research on it, and after I priced out the use of trying it blind, it just didn't make sense. So, for me it never went beyond a passing interest.

It appears that it never took off, so one can only assume that there wasn't much to it. I don't want to insult anyone by calling it "snake oil", because I've never tried it, nor do I know anyone that has. But, I will say, I've seen a lot of miracle treatments come and go over the years. I try to keep an open mind.

We're selling to our beekeepers. Please e-mail me if you still interested in it. [email protected]