I need help designing a pump system for filling inside feeders
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I need help designing a pump system for filling inside feeders

I'm putting together a pump system to feed the bees this fall and need to figure out a few things. I ordered this pump ( http://www.burcam.com/en/products?vi...750&sku=700722) after looking at the pump Mannlake has. My plan is to use a gas engine and a 275 gallon tote hooked up with a short coupler hose using cam locks .

My questions are:

1. Will this pump work? My plan is to use a 1'' pvc suction hose and a nozzle to fill with.
    2. What size motor should I look for? I planned on getting an engine from a bad pressure washer off craigslist.
    3. What size pulleys do I need or should I use?
    4. What's the best way to run the plumbing so when I'm not filling feeders its recirculating?
    5. Should I run some kind of filter between the tote and pump?

Please feel free to add anything I've might of over looked and thank you for your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: I need help designing a pump system for filling inside feeders

Here's the owner manual for the pump.

http://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/36...discharge.html

My first pump I used a similar system and it failed miserably, 400 miles from home while trying to feed colonies. I use a 3" trash pump with pvc reductions to a 1" hose. I use a pool hose to go from the pump to the syrup tank and it works well.

Thanks Matt.

How long have you been using that setup? Do you have any trouble with the pump running in between filling frames? Will it blow out anything if it runs for an extended amount of time? Will it work to feed 400-600 hives a day with any trouble?

1. Yes it will work.
    2. Get a honda gx. 4.5, 5.5 hp range.
    3. I will measure my pulley tomorrow.
    4. You will need a brass 3/4 or 1 "adjustable pressure relief valve. Will take some pics of my pump tomorrow.
    5. No filter. Any bees/ bugs that get inside the tote will get shredded by the gears.

Gear pumps are the way to go. No need to prime and has no trouble pumping straight HFCS 55.

Why don't you use the same kind of pump Mann Lake does? A sump pump? Mine has no pulleys. I have no filter between the tank and the pump. I don't try to get trash in the tank either. I try to keep it out and mostly do and have had no problems so far.

Couplers and hose to go between the tank and the pump can be bought at any decent ag supply store. And a good rubber hose to use from the pump to the feeders can be found there too. A simple shutoff valve is good. I have the handle from Mann Lake and if it doesn't get cleaned after use it gets hard and the handle will bend.

You DIYers can probably build a system cheaply enough, but I buy what I can't build and saves me the frustration. Ihave never had any problems w/my Mann Lake feeding system.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by RAK View Post
    1. Yes it will work.
    4. You will need a brass 3/4 or 1 "adjustable pressure relief valve. Will take some pics of my pump tomorrow.
    5. No filter. Any bees/ bugs that get inside the tote will get shredded by the gears.

Gear pumps are the way to go. No need to prime and has no trouble pumping straight HFCS 55.

Thanks RAK. I'm looking forward to seeing what you've done.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Why don't you use the same kind of pump Mann Lake does? A sump pump? Mine has no pulleys. I have no filter between the tank and the pump. I don't try to get trash in the tank either. I try to keep it out and mostly do and have had no problems so far.

Couplers and hose to go between the tank and the pump can be bought at any decent ag supply store. And a good rubber hose to use from the pump to the feeders can be found there too. A simple shutoff valve is good. I have the handle from Mann Lake and if it doesn't get cleaned after use it gets hard and the handle will bend.

You DIYers can probably build a system cheaply enough, but I buy what I can't build and saves me the frustration. Ihave never had any problems w/my Mann Lake feeding system.

It's all about pinching pennies for me. I used a pump very similar to this one and it worked ok till I started running thicker syrup. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Flotec-1-...300X/100178274. It fit right inside the top of a tote with a good push and as long as you have the hose to pull it up with you were in good luck.

Beesohappy, my guys feed 400 colonies in less than 4 hours.

Beesohappy what heavy thicker syrup? Was you using?.

I Just set up syrup pump. I would recommend saving yourself time and get David Bradshaw's already set pump. I would have gotten pump from him if I shipping hadn't been an issue. If you price out the components his price is very reasonable. His website is beebotanical. Honda 6:1 gear reduction with lovejoy coupler is way to go. I got 4.8 hp.
    Bill Russell
    Strum, Wi.; Eustis Fl.

Quote Originally Posted by RAK View Post
    1. Yes it will work.

Yes, I have a similar setup and its our syrup pump of choice. We just drop the suction hose (taped together with the relief return hose) into the top of the tank though occasionally it may lose prime if drained completely.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by My-smokepole View Post
    Beesohappy what heavy thicker syrup? Was you using?.
    2:1 Fall feeding

I have one of the burcam gear pumps( a size smaller I think). I run it off a 1 hp electric motor here at home filling feeder jugs.Works great for thick syrup. As noted you need a pressure relief valve. I just run a short hose back into the tote.I use a gasoline type nozzle for filling the jugs(they have a small opening), but had trouble with it occasionally sticking open. So I screwed a ball valve to it and wired the nozzle trigger open.Much better. You should just build one out of pvc to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by loggermike View Post
    I have one of the burcam gear pumps( a size smaller I think). I run it off a 1 hp electric motor here at home filling feeder jugs.Works great for thick syrup. As noted you need a pressure relief valve. I just run a short hose back into the tote.I use a gasoline type nozzle for filling the jugs(they have a small opening), but had trouble with it occasionally sticking open. So I screwed a ball valve to it and wired the nozzle trigger open.Much better. You should just build one out of pvc to begin with.

Good ideas Mike. I'll follow your lead and more than likely do the same thing to solve the back pressure when the ball valves shut. Did you run a "T" off the filler hose back to the tote?

RAK mentioned a brass relief valve. I'll look into that also.

Bill Russell- I looked at David Bradshaw's pump. Looks nice. Looks like he's made it to run two filling lines off it. I like the lovejoy coupler system. Is the motor he's running ment to kick down the rpm so the pumps not running to fast? If I don't run a lovejoy coupler and use pulleys instead, can I slow the pump down by running larger pulleys?

One tip I did was make a filling wand with a 12 inch length of 3/4 metal pipe then put a 3/4 ball valve then a 3 ft length of 3/4 pipe. This will save your back.
    When we get to yard ,lids are moved 2 inches to outside exposing the inside feeders, then I feed with someone following me putting lids back on.i use a tote with a trashpump from haborfeight with a bypass valve form Tractor Supply.

I run the motor at mid rpm. Rpm controls volume and I set pressure between 60-80 psi. The first pump I built had belts, jack shaft and pillow block bearings to many things to go wrong. I also make a filling nozzle but the valve is at the end of the filler no drip.
    David
    beebotanical.com 40 years-4000 colonies-treatment eo's

Quote Originally Posted by davidsbees View Post
    I run the motor at mid rpm. Rpm controls volume and I set pressure between 60-80 psi. The first pump I built had belts, jack shaft and pillow block bearings to many things to go wrong. I also make a filling nozzle but the valve is at the end of the filler no drip.
    By running the motor at a lower rpm will it automatically slow the pump down which slows the flow down also or do I still need a relief valve? Do all small engines have this feature? My plan was to get a cheap pressure washer that has a bad pump so I could use the motor and cart and make my own pump on wheels.

Thanks for the heads up. I like the filling wand idea.

You need a relief valve or you will blow the hose.
    David
    beebotanical.com 40 years-4000 colonies-treatment eo's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast