squarepeg 2015-2019 treatment free experience - Page 5
Page 5 of 103 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Default Re: squarepeg 2015

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    the pragmatist in me doesn't see feeding as necessarily good or bad and the truth is it has the potential to be either depending on how and when it is applied. the reasons for doing so or not are pretty much the perogative of each individual beekeeper. with this there's just not a one size fits all.
    Very good point squarepeg, in my opinion. A pragmatic and eclectic approach, appropriate to current conditions, and whenever possible prefer a more naturalistic/organic approach as possible. Good luck!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

the forecast is promising for a long string of flying days starting on saturday. i've got a little henbit starting in the yard and tree pollen is abundant. i'll likely take the opportunity to checkerboard the supers in the 9 out of the 16 hives that i have not done so yet.

all hives are a single deep with two medium supers at this point. honey frames will be taken from the two or three heaviest hives and given to the two or three lightest. i run 9 frames in the supers and my goal is to make all of the odd numbered frames empty comb and all of the even numbered frames honey. this is a slight variation on walt wright's method, but i want to see how it goes with straight lanes of honey and empty comb through the two supers instead of having the frames staggered in a checkerboard pattern.

i've got 5 empty deeps, 18 empty five frame nuc boxes, and 30 deep frames of drawn comb. i've got commitments for all of the nucs i can produce this year. i'm tempted to see if i can get all of those boxes full of bees on the natural flow without artificial feeds, but i haven't ruled out protein supplementation if it looks like i'm running short on bees. as always the weather will determine how quickly and how strongly they build up and i'll just have to play that one by ear.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Squarepeg, were you interested in trying "Opening the Sides of the Broodnest" as a comparison to just Checkerboarding on one or two hives?

(Works best if there are 3 drawn combs together in the middle of the new box.)

If you have brood up into a medium, you could do it with the medium supers.

hi matt, i have been introducing some wired foundationless frames alongside the brood nest and have found that it does get the wax makers busy early in the season than they would otherwise. having the single deep with medium supers prevents me from moving a frame up from the bottom box, so a frame has to be removed and when done it is typically used in a split. so far all of my medium frames have had plastic foundation. i now have some foundationless mediums frames, but those are intended for comb honey.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Ok. It may actually work with a full sheet of foundation in the new frames. Others have reported that it worked fine.

I would just work with the medium frames.

Have you seen Lauri's frames where she cuts the plastic foundation in half vertically? She places the half sheet of foundation in the middle of the frame so that the worker comb is in the middle of the frame and drone comb is built on the outer edges.

I've just updated the link above with clearer steps.

i have found that foundation frames get ignored and actually impede progress in the early season when manipulations for swarm prevention are most effective.

i like lauri's idea and will probably use it once i've gone through all of the factory made foundationless frames that i currently have. there is no way to fix a piece of foundation to them.

@squarepeg,

Great observation you share. I mean, the foundation frames. Same observation here.
    Also, I did see the same concept in Lauri's take, and her very interesting take on those frames of hers. Plastic in the middle, but open on each side. Let the bees do some magic. And they, sure do. The bees I meant. Lauri too.

What I have noticed in the same lines...by mistake of course, is that when I took out a deep frame, from a deep box, with the intention of replacing it, I did replace it but by mistake I replaced it with a medium size frame. Fully drawn.

To my surprise, much latter in the spring (last spring) when they went to town on expanding, the comb they build as an extension to the bottom of the medium frame, looked almost the same like what you see in Lauri's pictures. Pretty cool actually.

Oh yes, since we are on TF...these are hives in a smaller yard that so far, I have not treated.
    Now, if making splits is a treatment, then I might be off topic.
    But I only split them because they were getting ready to swarm.

many thanks am, and making splits is most certainly allowed under the 'unique forum rules'.

my first attempt with partially foundationless frames was trying out the 'oliver drone trap' method of using a strip of foundation across the top and letting the bees draw drone comb underneath. i noticed that they pulled comb on those but ignored my (plastic) foundation in the early spring.

i have since seen a pretty convincing demonstration that brushing on some melted wax onto plastic foundation gets the bees more interested in drawing comb on it, so i'll definitely be doing that with any new plastic foundation frames i introduce this year.

It was wax foundation when I was told it had worked...

Had another thought. Drilling a few large holes in the plastic foundation, at least 1 inch in diameter, should be enough to trigger wax making.

my first attempt with partially foundationless frames was trying out the 'oliver drone trap' method of using a strip of foundation across the top and letting the bees draw drone comb underneath. i noticed that they pulled comb on those but ignored my (plastic) foundation in the early spring.
    Thanks for your kindness and for clarifying dang rules. Me and the rules, don't go too good. Not all the time. That will lead to anarchy. Sometimes.

But now, you got me a bit confused and befuddled. But do not feel bad at all. I feel the same way.

I noticed you mentioned the 'oliver drone trap' concept. Which oliver do you refer to? Oliver Andy or Randy Oliver?
    Are they kin or something?
    The reason I mention my confusion is this dang presentation: Varroa Management Using Drone Brood Removal
    Here:http://www.njbeekeepers.org/nwba/doc...od_Removal.pdf
    Last edited by apis maximus; 02-05-2015 at 09:03 PM. Reason: very poor grammar.sorry

it was randy's concept, you can probably find it by searching his site. my bees drew drone comb in the foundationless portion alright. i ended up not removing any drone brood for mite control, but i did lose some by accident one hot day when i flipped a frame over and the comb fell out. this experience taught me that one must handle foundationless frames with care. i'm not making the oliver traps anymore, but rather full foundationless frames with a couple of wires running horizontally.

we had a nice warm up here today and i got to observe the first all out foraging of the season. all hives in both yards were very active. the pollen was predominately pale dirty yellow and most foragers appeared to be coming in loaded with both pollen and nectar.

i opened up two hives for the purpose of moving up supers that were still on the bottom of the stacks from last season. i went ahead and pulled frames from the middle of the clusters and thankfully found both colonies to be queenright. i noticed that the first rounds of brood were emerging and the queens were laying eggs the around those patches.

i thought about looking into some of the other hives mostly to determine queen status but i decided to leave them be since it was their first really good day of foraging and i liked what i was seeing at the entrances. my next move in the coming days/weeks will be to redistribute honey frames from the heaviest hives to the lightest and get the remainder of the supers checkerboarded.

i'm still working on getting a camera so i can post photos of the combs and bottom boards from the two dead outs. sorry for being a bit technologically challenged at the moment.

it was an awesome day for these bees and their keeper, many thanks for the opportunity to share.

So you do not leave and empty ‘pollen box’ under the hive as per WW’s CB method?
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

hi minz. walt's method involves moving the empty pollen box up this time of year and using those empty drawn frames to checkerboard with honey frames in the upper supers. when the first super gets full of brood during the early spring build up it then gets moved back down to the bottom. as the brood hatches that bottom super gets filled with pollen which is then used later for the fall brooding of overwintering bees.

i haven't been moving a super down on mine in the spring because of lack of drawn comb. i intended to move one down as i harvested honey last year but our shortened spring didn't allow me to harvest as many supers as i had planned nor get much more comb drawn.

i did move one down on a few hives toward the end of last summer when they became full of brood. our shortened spring resulted in the bees abandoning the deeps and moving their broodnests up into the open honey in the supers. i moved a super of brood to the bottom thinking they would stock the deep with fall nectar for overwintering. but the fall was too dry and not much nectar came in. the end result was that it was too drastic of a maneuver for the conditions and it set the colonies back. i am blaming one of my two losses on this mistake i made.

i need at least one more super of foundation drawn out per hive to have enough to move one down for a pollen box. if i can get this accomplished this year i will put the first supers harvested to the bottom. i've been disappointed by not getting more super comb drawn these past two seasons. i use rite cell, and my plan is to melt wax cappings and coat the foundation to see if it encourages the bees to draw it out more readily.

SP, why not use Lauri's partial foundation method and Matt's method to open up the hole in the nest? This should give you more drawn comb at the end of the season. Though it will take more of your time for this manipulation. Testing a few hives will let you know. On a short Spring and Fall flow I would feed them also.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

our forecast is for temps well below average with a chance of frozen precipitation for the next week or so. today is sunny with no wind and just cool enough to prevent foraging, but warm enough for the bees to break cluster and i'm seeing an occasional cleansing flight here and there.

i've still got good cluster roar in my remaining 16/18 hives that i went into winter with. one hive that received a checkerboarded super from a dead out was heard uncapping honey in that super, presumably moving it down to the broodnest.

i think this cold snap will be the test that will separate any marginal colonies from the survivors. i've got my fingers crossed and i'll be ready to start counting chickens in the next couple of weeks. i've been seeing orientation flights and the cluster roars seem to be getting stronger in all hives. i know two are queenright and will asses the rest when we warm back up.

so with a little luck i may squeak through with only 11% loss for the winter. i'll be happy with that considering the poor spring and fall conditions left my colonies light and small last year, and considering they were given no treatments or supplemental feed. those that come back strong will have proven themselves to me and i'll be looking to progagate from them.

finally got the photo thing figured out. here's a picture of the bottom board from the dwindle down that i mentioned in post 72. this is the one that lost cluster roar and upon inspection i found small handful of bees still alive with their queen. my guess was a failed fall supercedure. a dead mite or two can be seen on the bottom board. the brood combs are still in the freezer but i'll get pics from those to post soon.

Attachment 15962

and here's the bottom board from the dead out i mentioned in post 91. this one went silent and appeared to be getting robbed. the capping crumbs on the bottom board confirmed robbing, and this one also had a few dead mites present on the bottom board. brood comb pics to follow soon.

Attachment 15963

here's a picture of the bottom board from the dwindle down that i mentioned in post 72. this is the one that lost cluster roar and upon inspection i found small handful of bees still alive with their queen. my guess was a failed fall supercedure. a dead mite or two can be seen on the bottom board.
    When I have a colony dwindle down like this in the fall or winter, leaving a tiny cluster and the queen, it is usually from mite issues. I've had a couple years with quite a few of them.

Quote Originally Posted by rkereid View Post
    When I have a colony dwindle down like this in the fall or winter, leaving a tiny cluster and the queen, it is usually from mite issues. I've had a couple years with quite a few of them.
    understood. my quick inspection of the brood frames on that one didn't reveal much frass but i'll take a closer look soon and share the pics.

the other issue with mites and queen failure may have to do with dead viruses causing ovarian degeneration:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3026828/

seeing the late swarm issue from this hive moves me more toward failed supercedure. poor genetics too, this colony stayed dinky from the time i caught it throughout the whole season, inbreeding may have been a factor.

Page 5 of 103 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast