squarepeg 2015-2019 treatment free experience - Page 102
Page 102 of 102 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102
Results 2,021 to 2,025 of 2025

Default Re: squarepeg 2015-2019 treatment free experience

Having said that, I'll admit hard bond has worked for some. But for others it has not, and is clearly not working in this example.
    This gets down to needing relative isolation so mating is limited to resistant genetics and starting with queens with some level of resistance. So long as there are survivors, there is something to breed from. Caveat that there has to be enough breeding population to avoid issues with inbreeding. I would not characterize this as "not working", rather "not working as intended".
    NW Alabama, 50 years, 20 colonies and growing, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

the persisting ridge of high pressure that is allowing for record high temperatures across the southeast is making for a rather uncomfortable end to summer here. it also is resulting in my location registering moderate drought at this time. i am pretty much in centered in the tan colored area up the the northeast corner of the state:

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Curre...onitor.aspx?AL

this has resulted our yards and pastures starting to turn brown, some of the trees shedding their (brown) leaves early, and the ponds turning into puddles again.

i'm seeing a few different types of pollen coming in including goldenrod but haven't caught a whiff of goldenrod nectar, and i doubt seriously that there is much nectar of any type coming in.

the plan is to sit tight until after the temperature moderates a bit and we get a shower or two before going through the remaining 10 colonies plus one added nuc to see what's what.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
    This gets down to needing relative isolation so mating is limited to resistant genetics and starting with queens with some level of resistance. So long as there are survivors, there is something to breed from. Caveat that there has to be enough breeding population to avoid issues with inbreeding. I would not characterize this as "not working", rather "not working as intended".
    There are some pre-varroa studies indicating in part of Louisiana and, I believe, other areas, that the gene pool of managed bees was different from the gene pool of feral bees. I am fairly confidant that the gene pool of my bees more or less mirrors that of local feral bees. If the local feral bees are becoming more varroa resistant and tolerant, then my bees are as well. I don't know exactly how this relates to Mike Bispham's, Oldtimer's, and your comments, but I can't help but think that it does relate.
    David. Cheerful beekeeping

As the background population becomes mite tolerant, the managed colonies gain tolerance to the extent that their genetics are derived from the ferals.
    NW Alabama, 50 years, 20 colonies and growing, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest

Sorry to hear you have a bummer fall flow, sp. We have quite the opposite in upstate NY. Summer dearth was wonky / early (i thought I gave up most of my honey to splits) then flow came back during normal dearth time and went right into heavy and early fall flow (mostly goldenrod and knotweed). I pulled my supers early so they could backfill broodnest for winter before nectar dries up. Too early, it turns out; now they are on the cusp of swarming....
    Happy beekeeping everybody!

Page 102 of 102 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102