squarepeg 2015-2019 treatment free experience - Page 95
Page 95 of 103 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 2052

Default Re: squarepeg 2015-2019 treatment free experience

sincere thanks again to all for the well-wishes.

i found a place that does irradiation in south carolina, but they stopped doing bee equipment because it made too much mess in their unit.

russ, i am assuming the autoclave you are talking about uses high heat and is only good for woodenware and not comb?
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    russ, i am assuming the autoclave you are talking about uses high heat and is only good for woodenware and not comb?
    That's right, Squarepeg. Here are the details on the unit- while I cannot be certain, I put in a call to my contact at KYSU to see if they can make the autoclave available provided the woodenware were brought to Frankfort. Not an ideal solution for sure, but might be worth looking into?

https://kysu.edu/wp-content/uploads/...Flyer_SF18.pdf

i very much appreciate the willingness to help russ, but it's the 100+ deep and 250+ medium frames of drawn comb that i am most interested in trying to salvage.

unless someone knows of another resource, irradiation in pennsylvania is the only option i have come up with so far, and one that is not going to be doable for me.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Have you tried contacting the universities in the area?
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

i very much appreciate the willingness to help russ, but it's the 100+ deep and 250+ medium frames of drawn comb that i am most interested in trying to salvage.
    I certainly understand, SP. If it comes to it, I received positive feedback from Kentucky State regarding a 'Field Days' event they are planning for the third week in June as a possible back-up option.

You have likely already explored this, but I saw that Alabama A&M has a CIM lab:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Howar...87556381286792

Also, I wonder if if might be fruitful to contact the Alabama Department of Public Health to see if they can steer you toward a commercial irridiation facility in the state?

http://www.alabamapublichealth.gov/radiation/

yes, a bit of an uptick in losses these past two winters. 20% or less is where i think i should be for most winters. i'm leaning toward taking a more careful look at the colonies in the fall and culling those that don't have a promising chance of making it through winter. that, and i want to take a higher number of nucs into winter to have plenty of 'spares'.

i'll post a more detailed breakdown on this winter's losses soon.
    squarepeg, what is your "winter NUC configuration"? 5 over 5 in deeps? About how many inches of honey from the top down do you feel is right for your area? Thanks GG

many thanks for those leads russ! good finds. i started chasing them down this afternoon but haven't gotten anything solid yet.

gg, if i take a nuc into winter it's usually in a five frame deep with one or two five frame mediums on top. four or five medium frames of honey is usually enough to see them through until brooding begins, but our winters down here are a little different than yours.

so far what few nucs i've overwintered ended up getting moved into 10 frame equipment complete with stores supplied by winter dead outs, although i am in the process of rethinking some of that moving things around stuff...

many thanks for those leads russ! good finds. i started chasing them down this afternoon but haven't gotten anything solid yet.

gg, if i take a nuc into winter it's usually in a five frame deep with one or two five frame mediums on top. four or five medium frames of honey is usually enough to see them through until brooding begins, but our winters down here are a little different than yours.

so far what few nucs i've overwintered ended up getting moved into 10 frame equipment complete with stores supplied by winter dead outs, although i am in the process of rethinking some of that moving things around stuff...
    I was going to make some 6 frame NUC boxes for over wintering, but I am reconsidering, now thinking, of making a 2 frame thick Styrofoam follower, with 1/4 inch plywood glued on, for durability . Then use the center 6 frames of a 10 frame, with 2 1/2 inches of insulation on each side. then I can just use the 10 frame gear I have, instead of building more special stuff. Can then just pull the foam followers out and add 4 frames to each box, to the survivors, in the spring to promote them to production somewhat in place. I need the depth, of somewhat the same ,1 deep and 2 medium, or 2 deep and 1 medium, the bees move up all winter. I would also do 2 mediums over 1 deep but want only 6 or 7 frames wide. Short stacks just seem to top out against the lid by spring. Ok , thanks for the input squarepeg.
    GG

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post
    You have likely already explored this, but I saw that Alabama A&M has a CIM lab...
    it didn't show up with any of my searches russ, i'm so grateful you found it.

i spoke with a principle at the facility today and although they haven't processed any bee equipment through in the past he seemed very interested in trying to help.

he's checking into the logistics and supposed to get back to me. fingers crossed.

it didn't show up with any of my searches russ, i'm so grateful you found it.

i spoke with a principle at the facility today and although they haven't processed any bee equipment through in the past he seemed very interested in trying to help.

he's checking into the logistics and supposed to get back to me. fingers crossed.
    Once you mention "its for the bees", most people are eager to help. We are all pulling for you.

Quote Originally Posted by clong View Post
    Once you mention "its for the bees", most people are eager to help. We are all pulling for you.
    consider take or make a pad so you do not get propolis all over their gear, maybe they change their tune after a couple cleanings.
    Propolis is nasty stuff to get off the car seats of some of my jeans.

I sincerely hope for your sake that it works out, making the best of a trying situation. I'm with CLong- we are rooting for you to come back better than ever.

Here I believe we have to wrap boxes in plastic to keep everything clean. Also doesn't work so well with full frames of honey. There is also a minimum volume, about 400 boxes. It is generally a group effort for small beekeepers.

Squarepeg - I met you last summer @ a flea market near Mentone. I was then in my 1st year of beekeeping, & by a stroke of luck asked you if you treated for mites.

Because I was hearing so much about how you have to treat all of your bees or they WILL die. I would watch youtube videos of people doing these treatments wearing respirators & gloves and think if this stuff is that dangerous I do not want to put it in my bee colony and I don't want to be around it.

You told me a little about your operation and to look up this thread. I did just that and just finished reading each post yesterday.

I am sending you some good vibes, hoping that things will swing positive in your direction in the near future.

Thanks for doing what you do so that a newbie like myself can follow along and learn.

Neal Sellers

i remember meeting you in mentone neal, thanks for checking in.

hope all is going well with you, your family, and your bees!

this ended up becoming a long story, so i'll have to post it a piece at a time.
    i mentioned in post 1878 finding a very dwindled colony with lousy looking brood on 03/24/2019, and i felt it was too far gone to shake nurse bees into so i put it down.

there were a few more colonies that were on the small side and showing what i misinterpreted as chilled brood that did receive shakes of nurse bees during that same time frame. when i went back into these a couple of weeks later i found that added the nurse bees didn't help, the populations were continuing to decline, and the brood was sick with most not making it to capping stage. these were also put down.

then i had a few that came out of winter just fine, were doing a nice job building up, and had populations reaching the equivalent of 12 - 15 deep frames of bees. with these i noticed the populations quicky declined to about half that amount over a 2 - 3 weeks period between inspections.

i don't recall noticing any issues with the brood patterns with these until seeing the numbers decrease but to be honest i may not have been looking closely enough. by the time my efb test kits and antibiotics arrived most of these had dwindled so badly that they were not worth trying to save and so they were put down as well.

drifting appears to be a big factor as most of the efb losses were in hives sitting next to each other. i had 5 in a row at my outyard succumb.

i've got two efb positive colonies that have been removed to an isolated 'hospital' yard. one that has probably dwindled too small to recover but has been shook swarmed and given terramycin. the other never got smaller that about a deep and a half's worth of bees, did not get treated, and is building up its numbers again.

...drifting appears to be a big factor as most of the efb losses were in hives sitting next to each other. i had 5 in a row at my outyard succumb.
    Squarepeg: It is sobering to consider how quickly and voraciously EFB spread through your yard. I appreciate you posting details as time allows for us all to gain insights. Hopefully you are making progress on getting your infected woodenware and comb irradiated?

Yes this had been very unfortunate, but the education value is huge. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Thanks for the info SP, new Yard in the plan will have 100 feet of separation between hives.
    It is nice to learn from others documented happenings.
    Last edited by Gray Goose; 05-11-2019 at 06:45 PM. Reason: did not read the way it needed to

Squarepeg, What percent of the hives int he efb yards have been infected? It is disheartening how fast it spread.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

Page 95 of 103 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697 ... LastLast