Mated Queen who can tell - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: Mated Queen who can tell

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    It has become a common problem across all the suppliers.
    I'm guessing you're including yourself as part of the problem since you stipulate it is "common problem across all the suppliers."
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

When I had time to raise queens, the packages gave me a lot of mating nucs earlier than I could set them up otherwise. I'd install the packages in mid April and break them up for mating nucs in early to mid-May and sell off the package queens cheap to local people who wanted queens about then for splits. But it didn't work out that well as the quality of packages kept going down. I don't bother with them anymore. If I had more time to spend to focus on overwintering more nucs it never would have been of much use to start with...
    It seems everyone in the colder weather locations has tried a 5 gallon bucket full of tricks to get things going earlier in the spring. Myself included.
    The overwintered nucs seems like the best bet for many and is the route I'm taking although I still buy early queens (not packages) to make up for nuc losses over winter.
    Thanks

I've had one caged queen (provided as a backup for a number of packages) that was in the cage and looked fine....except that she had no wings.

Other than that, I've seen much more of what appears to be virgins loose in the package (2 separate clusters on opposite sides of the hive.....half the bees swarming from a newly installed package, etc).

I wish the package suppliers would shake the bees through an excluder...it would eliminate this issue.
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me
    Other times I can barely see. -The Grateful Dead

I thought a virgin would go through an excluder.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    I thought a virgin would go through an excluder.
    Not in my experience......

Queens do get past excluders sometimes (i use good metal ones if it is important)...but the thorax size does not change as the queen mates and matures....the thorax is what is too large to pass through an exluder.

Must be insanely small queens if they go through an excluder. I don't think I've ever had it happen, unless the excluder wire is bent.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

>I'm guessing you're including yourself as part of the problem since you stipulate it is "common problem across all the suppliers."

I was meaning the big suppliers. Most of the smaller suppliers take more time. Many of the smaller suppliers won't ship a queen until they get a good laying pattern of CAPPED worker brood. I definitely will not ship a queen until she's been laying long enough to get some capped worker brood from her. This not only verifies that she is laying but that she's not a drone layer and that she's been laying long enough for better ovariole development.

You certainly don't need to take my word for it. Ask around.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

I bought some plastic excluders as a deal a few years ago and I did occasionally have a queen get past them. I now use metal ones and have not had that problem since.

I often hear beekeepers complain about large patches of drone brood in supers above excluders, and I assume this to be a motivated queen looking for a place to lay drones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Must be insanely small queens if they go through an excluder. I don't think I've ever had it happen, unless the excluder wire is bent.

>I'm guessing you're including yourself as part of the problem since you stipulate it is "common problem across all the suppliers."

I was meaning the big suppliers. Most of the smaller suppliers take more time. Many of the smaller suppliers won't ship a queen until they get a good laying pattern of CAPPED worker brood.
    Thanks for correcting /clarifying your post as you were previously stating that ALL suppliers were guilty.

>Thanks for correcting /clarifying your post as you were previously stating that ALL suppliers were guilty.

Sorry I was not more specific. I was making a generalization because:
    1) I see it from all of the large suppliers
    2) I do not want to single any of them out as if they are the only ones

If I thought it was just one supplier I might specify which supplier...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

>Thanks for correcting /clarifying your post as you were previously stating that ALL suppliers were guilty.

Sorry I was not more specific. I was making a generalization because:
    1) I see it from all of the large suppliers
    2) I do not want to single any of them out as if they are the only ones

If I thought it was just one supplier I might specify which supplier...
    All large suppliers? How many have you done business with and why would you continue doing business with them?
    Sorry, but I find these sort of generalizations really tacky. It assumes that all large suppliers are similar and that their large commercial customers must have really low standards or short memories.
    Admittedly it's been a few years since I have had to purchase any bees or production queens from anyone but I know many of these large suppliers and I know them generally as hard working, astute businessmen who take pride in what they do. They set up their check back calendars and train their workers accordingly. Most are multi generational family owned entities. Yes, there is a problem with queen longevity that we didn't see a few decades ago but I think that pretty is pretty much a nationwide beekeeping problem that all queen raisers large and small struggle with. I'm not going to say that these large producers sell the very best queens money can buy but the accusation that they are routinely shipping out virgins is totally unwarranted.
    Oldtimer really nailed it when he said that queen producers get a lot of the blame for poor and inexperienced beekeeping practices. They are the easiest place to lay the blame when things go wrong.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

>All large suppliers? How many have you done business with and why would you continue doing business with them?
    >Sorry, but I find these sort of generalizations really tacky.

Hmmm... I was trying not to point fingers at anyone particular because it looks like an industry problem to me...

I've bought packages over the last four decades from virtually all of the big suppliers in California, Georgia, Texas, Missisipi etc. I correspond with thousands of beekeepers regularly and thousands more on occasion. My conclusions are based on my experiences and their experiences.

I withdraw all of my statements... everyone go buy your own bees and draw your own conclusions.

I withdraw all of my statements... everyone go buy your own bees and draw your own conclusions.
    In all honesty Michael, what did expect the reaction(s) to be when you first blister all queen suppliers (except yourself), then retract that statement to just say the "big" guys? Did you not think that "Big" breeders and friends of "big" breeders would not react?

I "think" I know what you were trying to state, but you did not state it wisely........(I've done the same in the past)........

Quote Originally Posted by deknow View Post
    I bought some plastic excluders as a deal a few years ago and I did occasionally have a queen get past them. I now use metal ones and have not had that problem since.
    For the life of me I can't figure out why metal would be better than plastic. Metal will bend so in use it could get dinged and leave a wider gap. That won't happen with plastic so why isn't plastic better? It defies logic.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Plastic won't get dinged?

"It defies logic."
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I've bought a lot of queens from big suppliers as well as small breeders. I've bought a good amount of packages too. I have NEVER gotten a queen that was unmated (unless I only paid for a virgin). I'm not saying that they were all superstars, but my experience is very different than what MB is suggesting. In all my transactions, when there was a problem, e.g., very quick supercedure, it was resolved to my satisfaction.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Something here defies logic almost daily! Conjecture being voiced as experience!

If you dont clean top bars completely when you put the plastic excluder back the openings can be pushed staggered and essentially larger gaps exposed. Plastic also has far more restriction to air circulation as the blocked to open ratio is much higher than steel.
    Frank

>In all honesty Michael, what did expect the reaction(s) to be when you first blister all queen suppliers (except yourself), then retract that statement to just say the "big" guys? Did you not think that "Big" breeders and friends of "big" breeders would not react?

I don't think that's what I did at all. But I'm done with this.

>In all honesty Michael, what did expect the reaction(s) to be when you first blister all queen suppliers (except yourself), then retract that statement to just say the "big" guys? Did you not think that "Big" breeders and friends of "big" breeders would not react?

I don't think that's what I did at all. But I'm done with this.
    Unfortunately, that's EXACTLY what you did......... I'm sorry you don't see it....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast