Mated Queen who can tell - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: Mated Queen who can tell

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    Something here defies logic almost daily! Conjecture being voiced as experience!

If you dont clean top bars completely when you put the plastic excluder back the openings can be pushed staggered and essentially larger gaps exposed.
    I would put that as a mistake by the beekeeper rather than a disadvantage of plastic. The restricted ventilation is true but is it enough to make a difference especially in your area?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

a little off topic but in my experience plastic queen excluders seem to do more damage to the bees than the metal ones. I am not sure if it is the rough edges of plastic compared to the rounded edges of the metal ones. As for the whole package bee and purchased queens...... I gave up on those 6 years ago. I now am only using queens raised by me and my survival rates through winter have sky rocketed. The last time I purchased queens (and it was in midseason not early) 100% percent of them were dead within 2 months. My earlier experiences with other suppliers was not any better. So as someone suggested on here earlier I stopped buying them simple! Now I raise my own by what ever method is easiest at the time.

Referring to the question in the OP, I raise queens for sale and wait until I see capped brood to ship them.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345