Best Tax/Bookkeeping Software for Canadian Beekeepers?

Default Best Tax/Bookkeeping Software for Canadian Beekeepers?

Just looking for tax/bookkeeping software recommendations? I see the FCC sells Ag Expert Analyst but it seems pretty expensive and looks like it might be tailored to grain production.

Anyone have a recommendation? I would like to import my bank statements if possible.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Best Tax/Bookkeeping Software for Canadian Beekeepers?

I use Quickbooks for bookkeeping. Pro version is adequate for beekeeping. Not a whole lot cheaper than Ag Expert. Fairly sure Quickbooks is able to import bank statements though this is a feature I haven't bother to try to use - too much info missing from the bank statement that must be obtained from the receipt anyways and transaction/processing dates not the same for cheques and credit cards. I liked MYOB better but Quickbooks bought them out and let it die. Quickbooks seems to be little more quirky than MYOB - Quickbooks doesn't let you override things as easily and some creative problem solving is required for things like a tax mistake on an invoice etc.

One of the reasons I went with Quickbooks was its tie in with Turbotax. Turbotax home and business works decently for a farm. The Easysteps method more is confusing that just filling in the business info into the forms in my opinion. It includes filing for AgriStability as well. Turbotax allows you to import data directly from Quickbooks. I have never used this function for Turbotax home and business but have imported directly from Quickbooks to Turbotax corporate and I am very impressed with this function (much easier and more accurate than entering the data manually).

An annoying feature about Quickbooks is that payroll is not supported unless Quickbooks is kept relatively current. For a few summer or casual employees CRA's payroll calculator works fine. I used PayDirt last year. I was very impressed with the program. It is suppose to be able to transfer data to Quickbooks, but I was not able to get it to do so. It's going to be a project for this winter. No need to upgrade to a new version of Quickbooks every couple of years this way.
    Last edited by Allen Martens; 01-06-2015 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Added info

We use Agexpert.

Thank you both, Ian and Allen.