Say hi to our new friend... - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Say hi to our new friend...

Very interesting, Mike.
    That Fisher looks like a bad-ass.
    Well, goes without saying considering his choice if cuisine!!
    I have exactly ONE more hive than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

We ran into a porky on the high desert, hunting quail in the sage. Never thought they would be there. Partners pointer was of the ‘could not learn’ type. What a mess, ruined a perfectly good day.
    Fisher had to be reintroduced because they were so mean and agile that they fell into just about every animal trap that was set. Like a badger crossed with a cat, with a nice pelt.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

My son in law took this picture today here in Farmington:

Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

As a teenager I spent an interesting afternoon in a tree with a pair of porcupines. We were archery hunting from tree stands in central oregon, and just before dusk a pair came down out of the higher branches. They perched a couple feet above me and went about their business of eating bark, quite loudly. Needless to say, I did not get that mister buck we had been scouting, but it was a priceless experience.
    "...fascists divide themselves into two categories: fascists and antifascists" Ennio Flaiano

> but it was a priceless experience.

Some of the best experiences of my life were when I was hunting and saw the unexpected. I watched a family of beavers breaking the ice on the ponds one time. They spent hours on it, and it was obviously their goal to crack all the ice. They worked as a team and would signal each other what to do. They started at the bottom pond and worked their way up, letting out water to make it crack. As they would break the ice up the elk could then come down to drink. I assume what the beavers got out of it was to be able to swim and get in and out of the water somewhere, but it benefited all the animals who needed to get to the water.

Another time I saw an albino bobcat. It confused me at first as I thought it was a domestic cat until it got closer and I realized how huge it was and, of course the signature tufts and short tail became obvious. I watched it for about an hour as it stalked up the ditch. I assume it was hoping to find some birds. It never did see me.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Thanks for sharing Michael, that moment with the beavers must have been truly magic, I enjoyed reading it.

Like you, I have had an occasional experience watching animals that probably pass unnoticed by most, but seemed awesome to me at the time. Just a simple thing but I still remember as a small boy watching in fascination a spider go about building a web, truly amazing. How did they ever figure that out?
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Harry,

According to this video, you've got a long way to go. (warning these are 11 minutes you'll never get back)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ8AwnuEOOE#t=30
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

We're not quite that friendly....
    Besides, Porky ran out of apples and vanished several days ago.
    I have exactly ONE more hive than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Thanks for sharing Michael, that moment with the beavers must have been truly magic, I enjoyed reading it.

Like you, I have had an occasional experience watching animals that probably pass unnoticed by most, but seemed awesome to me at the time. Just a simple thing but I still remember as a small boy watching in fascination a spider go about building a web, truly amazing. How did they ever figure that out?
    The more I read about honey bees the more I feel they are amazing!
    Western Catskill Mountains
    Proverbs 16:24

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123