Beekeeper wanna be here in East TN

Big Grin Beekeeper wanna be here in East TN

Hi everybody! Just ordered my bees this week and working on the order for equipment! SOOO excited about this spring and finally getting bees! I am in zone 6b.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Beekeeper wanna be here in East TN

Welcome to Beesource from east East TN!
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Welcome to the forum from colorful Colorado
    Ross
    You don't know what you don't know.
    pueblo-bee-rescue.com

From what I have read the State of Tenn will pay for 1/2 of your bees and equipment if you buy 25 hives or more.
    Something to look to if you like bees and want to grow.

The State of Tennessee, in cooperation with the Tennessee Beekeepers Association and participating local clubs, does offer a 'hive grant program' to new beekeepers. However, that program limits each recipient to (1) grant hive. Read more details at this participating club page:
    http://cookevillebeekeepers.com/tba-hive-grant

This program has been offered for a number of years, and as far as I know is continuing in 2015. There are a number of conditions that the participants must agree to, including contributing a portion of 1st and 2nd year honey harvested (if any) to the program to assist in funding future hive grants. There are a total of (3) hive grants per each local club available, so participation is limited to 3 'new' beekeepers per club. In my local club (Davy Crockett Beekeepers Association), we hold a 'drawing' for the 3 hives if there are more than 3 'new' beekeepers desiring to participate in this program.

Funding is from a combination of State of TN, the state TBA, and each participating local club. Check with your local club to see if they are participating. I am reasonably confident that the State of Tennessee does not offer a larger scale program.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    The State of Tennessee, in cooperation with the Tennessee Beekeepers Association and participating local clubs, does offer a 'hive grant program' to new beekeepers. However, that program limits each recipient to (1) grant hive. Read more details at this participating club page:
    http://cookevillebeekeepers.com/tba-hive-grant

This program has been offered for a number of years, and as far as I know is continuing in 2015. There are a number of conditions that the participants must agree to, including contributing a portion of 1st and 2nd year honey harvested (if any) to the program to assist in funding future hive grants. There are a total of (3) hive grants per each local club available, so participation is limited to 3 'new' beekeepers per club. In my local club (Davy Crockett Beekeepers Association), we hold a 'drawing' for the 3 hives if there are more than 3 'new' beekeepers desiring to participate in this program.

Funding is from a combination of State of TN, the state TBA, and each participating local club. Check with your local club to see if they are participating. I am reasonably confident that the State of Tennessee does not offer a larger scale program.

Thank you for the info for the grant. I had recently read that while doing research for our local ( and brand spanking new) bee association. We are just getting started. Most of us had been driving to the next county to attend meetings.

A friend recently sent me this link. http://smallbusiness.chron.com/grant...ary-20755.html
    It has some great information for using a small business grant for starting an apiary if anyone is interested.

Welcome!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    [email protected]

Welcome to BeeSource!

Welcome

Welcome from The Hills of Sparta, Tennessee
    Ret, Sgt. Robert Yates