Bees have vanished - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Walton County, GA
    Posts
    165

    Default Re: Bees have vanished

    So sugar is somewhat (albeit limited) at killing mites?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Auckland,Auckland,New Zealand
    Posts
    10,381

    Default Re: Bees have vanished

    That's what some people think.

    What happens is in a hive with a normal brood nest, roughly 80% of the mites at any one time are inside a brood cell, and roughly 20% are walking around (phoretic).

    So if the hive is sugar dusted, the 20% phoretic mites are available to be dislodged, the other 80% are not. Of the 20% phoretic, some percentage will be dislodged by the sugar and fall down. Of that percentage, some smaller percentage will just walk back up, but some remainder will get trapped in the sugar and eventually die. So a beekeeper can look at the bottom board later and think wow, it worked. Trouble being that by the mechanics of the whole thing, sugar dusting can only skim the surface off the mite population and the mite population will bounce right back in short order.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Walton County, GA
    Posts
    165

    Default Re: Bees have vanished

    Thanks for that explanation. I never thought of sugar dusting as anything more than a diagnostic tool.

  5. #24
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Algoma District Northern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,501

    Default Re: Bees have vanished

    Hobo, sugar dusting is shaking powdered sugar down through the frames in each level of brood boxes with the idea of dislodging mites. Sugar shake or sugar roll is taking a measured volume of bees and a tablespoonful or so of sugar in a jar and shaking the mites out through a screen to be counted. Just a mixup of terms.
    Frank

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Walton County, GA
    Posts
    165

    Default Re: Bees have vanished

    Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    Hobo, sugar dusting is shaking powdered sugar down through the frames in each level of brood boxes with the idea of dislodging mites. Sugar shake or sugar roll is taking a measured volume of bees and a tablespoonful or so of sugar in a jar and shaking the mites out through a screen to be counted. Just a mixup of terms.
    OK, my mistake. I think I understand now. I still have a lot to learn

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Auckland,Auckland,New Zealand
    Posts
    10,381

    Default Re: Bees have vanished

    No mistake Hobo you asked a question.

    Thanks for the explanation Crofter now I see what he was referring to.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

  8. #27
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    DFW area, TX, USA
    Posts
    1,948

    Thumbs Up Re: Bees have vanished

    Since we are talking about mites.....In the northern hemisphere, this week the bees have the smallest brood nests of the year. That means its a good time to treat for mites. Tomorrow is forecast near 70 degrees F, so I'll be adding some hopguard to small NUCs and may try some OAV on a couple hives as well. Timing is EVERYTHING when treating for mites.

    Good luck next year Al.
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    lafargeville ny usa
    Posts
    2,280

    Default Re: Bees have vanished

    hobo.. as stated the sugar dusting is gentle for the whole hive. the sugar shake tries to shake mites loose from a measured amount of bees. if you run the sugar shake a couple of times and add the drop total you will get about 1/2 the results of a through alcohol wash. in other words the sugar shake action only gets about 1/2 the mites loose. this number is useful as long as you double the number for making management decisions. as a treatment, if you are looking at getting less than 1/2 of 20 percent of the mites loose in a hive, the sugar dusting is about useless. at the absolute most you are getting about 1 or 2% caught on a sticky board, this will not ever solve the problem.

  10. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Walton County, GA
    Posts
    165

    Default Re: Bees have vanished

    This is all very interesting and (like most things) more complicated than one might think. Thanks for the insight. I'm sure I will have more questions once I get actively going with bee keeping in a few months.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •