Bees have vanished - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Bees have vanished

So sugar is somewhat (albeit limited) at killing mites?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

That's what some people think.

What happens is in a hive with a normal brood nest, roughly 80% of the mites at any one time are inside a brood cell, and roughly 20% are walking around (phoretic).

So if the hive is sugar dusted, the 20% phoretic mites are available to be dislodged, the other 80% are not. Of the 20% phoretic, some percentage will be dislodged by the sugar and fall down. Of that percentage, some smaller percentage will just walk back up, but some remainder will get trapped in the sugar and eventually die. So a beekeeper can look at the bottom board later and think wow, it worked. Trouble being that by the mechanics of the whole thing, sugar dusting can only skim the surface off the mite population and the mite population will bounce right back in short order.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Thanks for that explanation. I never thought of sugar dusting as anything more than a diagnostic tool.

Hobo, sugar dusting is shaking powdered sugar down through the frames in each level of brood boxes with the idea of dislodging mites. Sugar shake or sugar roll is taking a measured volume of bees and a tablespoonful or so of sugar in a jar and shaking the mites out through a screen to be counted. Just a mixup of terms.
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    Hobo, sugar dusting is shaking powdered sugar down through the frames in each level of brood boxes with the idea of dislodging mites. Sugar shake or sugar roll is taking a measured volume of bees and a tablespoonful or so of sugar in a jar and shaking the mites out through a screen to be counted. Just a mixup of terms.
    OK, my mistake. I think I understand now. I still have a lot to learn

No mistake Hobo you asked a question.

Thanks for the explanation Crofter now I see what he was referring to.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Thumbs Up Re: Bees have vanished

Since we are talking about mites.....In the northern hemisphere, this week the bees have the smallest brood nests of the year. That means its a good time to treat for mites. Tomorrow is forecast near 70 degrees F, so I'll be adding some hopguard to small NUCs and may try some OAV on a couple hives as well. Timing is EVERYTHING when treating for mites.

Good luck next year Al.
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

hobo.. as stated the sugar dusting is gentle for the whole hive. the sugar shake tries to shake mites loose from a measured amount of bees. if you run the sugar shake a couple of times and add the drop total you will get about 1/2 the results of a through alcohol wash. in other words the sugar shake action only gets about 1/2 the mites loose. this number is useful as long as you double the number for making management decisions. as a treatment, if you are looking at getting less than 1/2 of 20 percent of the mites loose in a hive, the sugar dusting is about useless. at the absolute most you are getting about 1 or 2% caught on a sticky board, this will not ever solve the problem.

This is all very interesting and (like most things) more complicated than one might think. Thanks for the insight. I'm sure I will have more questions once I get actively going with bee keeping in a few months.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12