Frame Groves top and bottom

Default Frame Groves top and bottom

I am planning to construct some medium hive boxes this winter and was considering making frame groves at the top and at the bottom of each box. On my older boxes the lip often breaks after some use, I figured I could get more use out of the box by doing that, cause I could just flip the box over and start using it again.

Also, we have $.5/ft cedar available locally. Is cedar a good material for box construction? I find cedar to be kind of a softer wood that easily splits with screwing w/o predrilling.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Frame Groves top and bottom

I think you will end up creating more weak edges.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

You would have a small area then that violates bee space; I wonder if it would be a seed spot for burr comb construction. If it is the frame rest that is eroding, plain galvanized frame rests can restore that area.

Edit; it is easy to tear up frame rest area in cedar when cleaning up boxes. I use a hot air gun and you dont have to rake near as hard. With cedar you have to be a bit more careful when separating hive bodies too. Yep on splitting if you dont predrilll!
    Frank

Good idea on the hot gun. I actually have one to use. To reinforce the ears I was gonna attach ~1 inch handles that were gonna be waste wood from reducing 7.5" board to 6 5/8 " to both top and bottom. I really think this might work, just curious if anyone has done that.

Your handles from scrap we call cleats. They reinforce the edge. Also once a frame rest is damaged, you can cut it out and nail in a repair piece that is the upper edge of the box and a cleat.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    [email protected]

Don't cut the bottom one until you need it. It will just be a weak spot until then. When you do, use a router, also glue in a strip of wood to fill the old lip, and tack a U-shaped strip of sheet metal over it.

I wouldn't bother using cedar, it's too soft for all the work that goes into beehives. Sugar pine is good for deeps because is does not cup too much, my other favorites are Douglas fir and box wood. Bald Cypress makes great bottom boards - costs a lot more, but you get what you pay for.