Replace the queen of quick and simple way : is it true? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Replace the queen of quick and simple way : is it true?

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo Gomes View Post
    I see. So the process becomes much more risky and laborious. Thank you Ian .
    oh ya, its like a hive supercedure or a cast off swarm. The hive is put into risk. When I work through my beekeeping management strategy I try to eliminate those very risk factors by requeening with mated queens. Its more work and more money if you don't make your own queens.
    There is a reason why all beekeepers just don't buy cells for their spring time queen requirements.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Ian,
    What's your success rate rate using mated queens?
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    Ian,
    What's your success rate rate using mated queens?
    Success rate in acceptance? 95% Every once and a while ( like last year with bad timing ) we run into problems, two yards run 85%. But anyone who mates queens knows that problems also happen with using cells. If you have 1000 hives, and your cells hatch, kill the queen, and have poor matings, let say 75% viable queens after the dust settles, your looking at fixing up 250 hives.
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    When I work through my beekeeping management strategy I try to eliminate those very risk factors by requeening with mated queens.
    When you introduce the mated queen does not bother to advance to take out the old queen? Where beehive site you place the new queen ? And you put it protected in a cage ? Any trick to increase acceptance of the new queen?

old queen must first go
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I have tried this method but have some reservations about it. At the end of it I never know for sure if the process worked or not. Guys claim a 85% or so success rate but how do they know? I am aware of the method and have read about it from the perspective of different people, however I do not recall anybody explaining in detail how they come up with 85%.

My other reservation is the following. We start with queen right colonies that usually have queens that are 1 season old. Virgin hatches and kills old queen, bird eats virgin. Now i have a dud.I am not convinced that it is so quick. After failures it is a pain to salvage 20-25% of the colonies that need attention. I guess I should try it on a small scale next year and compare to the rest of the outfit.

Jean-Marc

One spring I had a dozen extra cells and no queenless nucs to put them in so I selected random hives with older queens (old queens were marked, 1-3 years old). I put the cells in the brood nest in JZ cell protecters. I did not get back to check each hive, but did check 6 hives, and of those, two still had the old marked queen, 2 had the old queen and the new queen both present, and 2 had an unmarked queen-so the virgin did kill the old queen. I thought at the time that the bees decided whether or not they wanted a new queen and may have killed the virgin if they were happy with their queen. These cells were ripe and may not have been in the hive long enough before emerging for the bees to accept them. It would be fun to do the same experiment using 3 to 5-frame nucs, as it wouldn't require as much time to re-check to see what the outcome would be.

>however I do not recall anybody explaining in detail how they come up with 85%.

You keep your queens marked and you count unmarked queens.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

"Four methods for introducing queens in productive honeybee colonies were evaluated: mated queens (MQ), virgin queens (VQ) and queen cells (QC) in dequeened colonies, and protected queen cells (PQC) in colonies with queens. Two requeening tests were done at the beginning of the spring and two at the end of the summer. Among the introduction methods used in dequeened colonies none of them oustanded consistently according to the number of accepted queens. Even so, method MQ was significantly more efficient in the spring requeenings when both requeening periods were analized together. On the contrary, the PQC method had almost no success, only replacing the queen in one out of 54 colonies in which it was employed. The maximum acceptance was of 80,8% and the minimum of 48,9%, both corresponding to the end of summer requeenings. The number of queenless colonies at the end of the evaluation was between 11,5% and 23,7%."

Here is the paper if you wish to know more: http://www.apimondia.com/apiacta/art...06/inver_1.pdf

And yet it works for me. Probably I read: http://www.carricell.com/#!CARICELL-...6-CAAB82D1CA10 and followed the instructions.

>On the contrary, the PQC method had almost no success, only replacing the queen in one out of 54 colonies in which it was employed.

I never had much luck with PROTECTED queen cells. I don't use protectors anymore even though I have a box of a thousand of them... that is probably a good estimate for protected queen cells. I think it lessens acceptance. If they don't want the queen the protector won't make them like her...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Thank you Bernhard for reminding me the caricell method. I can't add nothing from my personal experience. I've never tried but I will do it with some of my colonies. And to make sure that the method worked and what percentage I will mark the old queens. I'll do my study in about 20 colonies. This rapid method of queen exchange interests me a lot, but I have to evaluate first with the my bees if it is feasible, given that the data are not consensual.
    Last edited by Eduardo Gomes; 01-07-2015 at 06:24 AM. Reason: adding information

I like to to do a version of this by splitting a hive and placing a ripe cell into both halves of the split. If the hive ends up queen less you can combine with the original hive. Even if you end up with 75% matings you end up with an increase in hives. I do this for my increases because it saves me time and labor finding old queens and intro new queens.

little55, are you sure this is the right method to introduce a ripe cell into the
    half? My experience with a queen right hive (half) was that the workers simply tore up
    the qcell I put in. You never had this issue before? Seems like a waste of 1 good cell.
    Even with a queen less hive sometimes it is hard to intro a qc without them killing it.
    Then what kind of bees do you keep?
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

I do not think he is introducing a queen cell into a queen less half, with a queenright half to the side of it. He introduces two queen cells into a queenless split, that is divided in a middle.

You can however introduce an uncapped queen cell a few days old into a queenless half and they will raise it and cap it and take care of her, as long as the laying queen is nowhere near the cell. I'd even venture to say that a portion of the hive that has been separated from a queen, will accept a capped queen cell quite readily, though I don't think you could introduce a hatched virgin there.

Use a cell protector...done.

I use a cell protector. I actually wrap my cells in aluminum foil.

Ahh, the good o' AL wrap. Now I know why mine did not work before.
    Perhaps bernard should try this route for his cell intro too. Can someone tell
    him about this.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123