Public Land For Apiaries

Default Public Land For Apiaries

I've been processing data on Bureau of Land Management (BLM) claims and was intrigued that public lands are being leased for beekeeping purposes. Compared to other usages, however, it appears like there are very few apiaries that have been formed this way. That surprises me, given how low the annual fees are for all that land. (I posted a state breakdown here: theApiaries.com/us) Has anyone:

* Successfully registered and owns an apiary through the BLM
    * Attempted but did not succeede to get a claim
    * Considered getting a claim but found the process too onerous
    * Know anyone who has had the above experiences

If so, what whas your experience?
    What was the appeal?
    What were the main challenges?
    http://theapiaries.com - listing BLM beekeeping claims

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Public Land For Apiaries

We have had some big forest fires out here this last year fairly close. I was trying to get access to a place by the burn to get some hives on for fireweed honey. This may be the answer. Any idea of how to determine what is BLM? My inlaws big story was always about getting a apiary on fireweed after a burn and getting barrels of light honey off of the one yard. He got greedy in high elevation and got a bunch of hives stuck in there.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

BLM land is land so poor that no homesteader or early rancher wanted to make the effort to claim it. I don't know if yucca flowers, Some sages bloom. In my part of the world that is all the flowers on the BLM. Mostly it is scrub a jack rabbit has to pack a lunch to get across. I suppose the odd parcel is worth running. But very little.

We are about to build a house on 2.5 acres outside of Vegas, surrounded by BLM land. With five little boys, I didn't particularly want what will eventually be a dozen or two hives that close. If it was simple and cheap, I'd try to get a spot just beyond us, I'm just not sure I would want it publicly known where I had thousands of dollars in bee equipment, would I? It may be public record, but a database for beekeepers to find other people's apiaries seems like trouble waiting to happen. I keep hearing about hive thefts in Utah.
    Tyler Stewart
    TortoiseSupply.com

I would be very apprehensive about placing hives on Federal lands that will have other people using it. I would be very concerned about vandalism and or theft. Cattle could also be an issue if don't protect the hives with fencing. As Vance mentioned, most BLM land is land no one else wanted. That being said- the BLM has some real jewels such as Red Rocks in Las Vegas.

QUOTE=minz;1183611]We have had some big forest fires out here this last year fairly close. I was trying to get access to a place by the burn to get some hives on for fireweed honey. This may be the answer. Any idea of how to determine what is BLM? My inlaws big story was always about getting a apiary on fireweed after a burn and getting barrels of light honey off of the one yard. He got greedy in high elevation and got a bunch of hives stuck in there.[/QUOTE]

fire weed...hmm Had to look that up. Pretty cool

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fi...ide_Alaska.jpg
    https://www.facebook.com/reapingselfreliance
    Number one killer of bees are beekeepers who wont read any bee books.

I called the MO Department of Conservation to try to put an apiary on some nearby land a couple years ago. I was informed here in MO it's illegal to keep bees on state land (supposedly for insurance reasons). Ironically the state insect for MO is the honeybee. Yet..., you can't keep them on state land.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

State land being different than BLM (federal) land? I can see a state or a city/county having those rules, but BLM is federal, and shouldn't really need approval from the state. Here in NV, there's tons of BLM land. If you had BLM land around, I would check with them.
    Tyler Stewart
    TortoiseSupply.com

Quote Originally Posted by minz View Post
    Any idea of how to determine what is BLM? My inlaws big story was always about getting a apiary on fireweed after a burn and getting barrels of light honey off of the one yard. He got greedy in high elevation and got a bunch of hives stuck in there.
    That sounds so cool! A lot of BLM claims I've researched are clustered around federal forests. Though I'm not sure about availability in your particular situation.

Being federal land, these plots sometimes shows up on google maps as "green" spots in the topographic view. What is claimable would come down to your specific BLM office. It's managed on the regional level. Googling for a "BLM map" gives me this: http://www.blm.gov/style/medialib/bl...ge.-1.-1.1.gif

If you do proceed, I would be very curious to hear about your experience.

I've read some old accounts of people applying for apiaries, but I haven't heard anything recent.

The thread is on Public Land for Apiaries. State and Federal land are both considered public. It was my run in with trying to use state land in MO.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Quote Originally Posted by D Coates View Post
    It was my run in with trying to use state land in MO.
    Do you remember what year you had that interaction? It seems like a lot if city and state policies have shifted to be much more supportive of where apiaries can be located. Then again, when it comes to local politics, I've mostly been hearing about urban beekeeping policy.