1st OAV attempt
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st OAV attempt

Default 1st OAV attempt

Did not go so well . I bought a new OAV for $125 the one with a little pan they have been advertised on this site. I put a .25 teaspoon OA in the pan slid it in the hive, hooked up the battery and about 1 min later fumes started coming out. I thought, this is cool just like they said it would. After 2min fumes were coming out the inner cover and it was really fuming heavy. I went to pull it out and it smelled odd, like rubber burning. When I looked it over it had carbon all over it and the aluminum pan nearly melted trough and was barley on the rod it came with. The hive fumed for about 10 more min after I took it out. A burny smell. Needless to say I did not treat the rest of my hives. The pan is junk. I wonder if it can be fixed. Has any one had this happen? I also had about 100 - 200 dead bees after and the hive which was inactive when I started has a clogged entrance with workers bringing out the dead. Many bees on the side of the hive that show no sing of wanting to return. I was worried all night that the hive would burn. It did not but it still looks as I described. These are my remote mountain hives, a lot of fun dragging a car battery to. I got them past the bear problems now it seem I caused them trouble. It is cold and raining now so I will not open for a while. AHHHHH

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: 1st OAV attempt

I think you may have left it heat to long. When I did last year I only let it hooked to the battery for 60 sec. After 3 min. I was on to the next.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

I think there is a guy on here that sells a heavier duty one. I think he goes by SNL and there is a website in his signature, I would buy one if I had the money, maybe next year, but for now making my own. Sorry to hear it didn't go well.

Bummer Dude, I built my own oxy vaporizer. Smoke tested it and it worked pretty good. Haven't been able to use it in the yard yet due to a coupla cracked vertebra. Here's some pix. Made from a ch271 glowplug and a chunk of 1/2" Al.
    oxy1.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    3 years, 8 Langs, Zone 7B

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Burgess View Post
    Did not go so well . I bought a new OAV for $125 the one with a little pan they have been advertised on this site. I put a .25 teaspoon OA in the pan slid it in the hive, hooked up the battery and about 1 min later fumes started coming out. I thought, this is cool just like they said it would. After 2min fumes were coming out the inner cover and it was really fuming heavy. I went to pull it out and it smelled odd, like rubber burning. When I looked it over it had carbon all over it and the aluminum pan nearly melted trough and was barley on the rod it came with. The hive fumed for about 10 more min after I took it out. A burny smell. Needless to say I did not treat the rest of my hives. The pan is junk. I wonder if it can be fixed. Has any one had this happen? I also had about 100 - 200 dead bees after and the hive which was inactive when I started has a clogged entrance with workers bringing out the dead. Many bees on the side of the hive that show no sing of wanting to return. I was worried all night that the hive would burn. It did not but it still looks as I described. These are my remote mountain hives, a lot of fun dragging a car battery to. I got them past the bear problems now it seem I caused them trouble. It is cold and raining now so I will not open for a while. AHHHHH
    what i did whit mine
    Fill up for full box outside and watch the clock
    Then you will know how many seconds to leave the power on

Just curious. Why are folks doing this when they can use MAQS and get it done with one treatment and the application is a no-brainer? What's the advantage over MAQS? I am happy with the results and haven't had to fiddle with all that mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Roberson View Post
    Just curious. Why are folks doing this when they can use MAQS and get it done with one treatment and the application is a no-brainer? What's the advantage over MAQS? I am happy with the results and haven't had to fiddle with all that mess.
    Because MAQS is very temperature dependant and has been found to kill queens at times. OAV does not harm brood, bees or the queen. Also after the vaporizer purchase it cost just pennies per treatment.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Roberson View Post
    I treated 2 times with mite away pads. Once in June and one more time in August. Mite away pads failed to do the job. Since mid August I treated 6 times with oxalic acid. My mites numbers are way down. If I didn’t have the vaporizer I think my hives would be dead by January.

Just a thought, did you do red to positive, black to negative? If you only did a 2 minute burn, that should not be too long. My thought is you may have accidentally reversed the wires which burned out the unit.

John
    11 yrs, TF 6 yrs, moved to OAV in 2014, MAQS 2016. 6 hives and 5 nucs Zone 4B
    www.nhbees.wordpress.com

funny how the products producer addressed the treatment method but not the original posters issue with his product....

This unit had brown and blue wire I think I went brown to positive.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeDatc View Post
    funny how the products producer addressed the treatment method but not the original posters issue with his product....
    It was addressed privately, with a full replacement offered.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Burgess View Post
    This unit had brown and blue wire I think I went brown to positive.
    It makes no difference. Just needed to complete the circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    It was addressed privately, with a full replacement offered.
    good to hear. props

Its all good, thanks all

So was the unit faulty?

As a matter of interest I bought 3 or 5 lbs of oxalic acid from Amazon and it seems to vaporize cleaner than the wood bleach. I would always have some residue in the pan after using the wood bleach but have a very clean pan after using the pure oxalic acid and it is whiter than the wood bleach. also $15.00 for the pure chemical as against $8.00 for the bleach.
    Johno

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    As a matter of interest I bought 3 or 5 lbs of oxalic acid from Amazon and it seems to vaporize cleaner than the wood bleach. I would always have some residue in the pan after using the wood bleach but have a very clean pan after using the pure oxalic acid and it is whiter than the wood bleach. also $15.00 for the pure chemical as against $8.00 for the bleach.
    Johno
    Interesting. Can you give us the link to your Amazon source?

e-spice it was actually $15.75 for 5 lbs as I have an account with Amazon prime so it shipped free, you might have to pay shipping. Here is the link http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    e-spice it was actually $15.75 for 5 lbs as I have an account with Amazon prime so it shipped free, you might have to pay shipping. Here is the link http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Thanks johno! I ordered some.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast