Feeding bees with frames of crystallized honey

Default Feeding bees with frames of crystallized honey

I'm about to add frames of honey, some capped, some crystallized to my hives to bolster their winter stores. These frames came from my dead outs last year (mites). I have frozen each of the frames for several weeks as a way to hopefully kill off any other pathogens. Any issues giving them the crystallized frames? Thanks for the help.
    John
    11 yrs, TF 6 yrs, moved to OAV in 2014, MAQS 2016. 6 hives and 5 nucs Zone 4B
    www.nhbees.wordpress.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Feeding bees with frames of crystallized honey

Quote Originally Posted by Eyeshooter View Post
    I'm about to add frames of honey, some capped, some crystallized to my hives to bolster their winter stores. These frames came from my dead outs last year (mites). I have frozen each of the frames for several weeks as a way to hopefully kill off any other pathogens. Any issues giving them the crystallized frames? Thanks for the help.
    John

John,

Crystallized honey isn't a problem at all. A friend had a bunch of Canola honey Crystallize in the frames. He fed it to his bees in August and September and they consumed it and cleaned up the frames.

Tony

Default Re: Feeding bees with frames of crystallized honey

crystalized honey may not be your best choice for winter feed, it is harder for the bees to use.