Block entrance on Hive while extracting honey

Default Block entrance on Hive while extracting honey

Kind of a weird question but after last year we need to do something different. We are going to try to take off the honey this weekend and was wondering if it would be OK to close up the hive as we do so.

We do not have a place that is air tight and will be doing it in the garage. Last year there were so many bees around trying to get their honey back it mad it hard to work.

Any thoughts? Are hive is about 75 yards away from where we will be working.

All information is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Block entrance on Hive while extracting honey

A better approach might be to take the honey off the hives in the afternoon, and then wait until after dark to start your processing. If you close up a hive you might want a moving screen on the top and wire on the entrance. It can get hot in a hurry.

cchoganjr

Would it be possible to close the garage door?😳

Quote Originally Posted by Haraga View Post
    Would it be possible to close the garage door?��
    My guess is that their garage is more like an open-front machine shed. They mentioned that there was no way to keep the bees out. If their garage is anything like the one on my place I understand the dilemma. It's more of a buggy shed and anything smaller than a wood chuck can get in under the hinged double doors.

My approach in this case would be to set the kitchen up for the weekend as a honey house, get all the extracting done following Cleo's suggestions and send out for pizza (or whatever) so one doesn't have to use the stove. Not knowing the layout, that's about all I can think of.

I'd do what cleo suggests, extract at night, pull honey at your convenience. You can't close up a hive without consequence.

Not to mention, YOUR bees are probably not the ONLY bees in the neighborhood. I agree that you have to either do it at night or do it in another location. I use my small kitchen, and just have to work around the mess and equipment.

I used to cover the garage door with plastic sheeting.