Please Stop... - Page 4
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Please Stop...

Default Re: Please Stop...

Well, at the end of the day one thing holds true and will never sway nor be bad advice. My grandfather has always told all us grand kids that he could tell us where he's been and what he's gone through, but as humans we just can't learn from another man/woman's experience because we have to find out for ourselves. At the end of the day, right or wrong hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20. The problem is that 9 out of 10 people use about 10% of the advice given and toss the rest into the wind and out of spite we let the human side of us take us in the wrong direction just out of curiosity or simply out of being hard headed and get results we didn't want. Then we look back and see that if we had just took the advice from past experience, no matter how young or how old, no matter the level of experience there is always something to be learned. Advice given from whoever should be researched to the best of your ability and means that you have available to you and make the choice you can from it. Now I'm new to beekeeping with my own hives but have grown up around bees my whole life. That doesn't make me any more experienced than a new keeper, just as our days change from day to day so does the method of raising healthy bees simply because we we are altering the natural habitat and way of life of a bee into a human made world. Bees are going to react differently for every single person, from hive to hive, geographical location to geographical location and every other unnatural atmosphere we put them in. At the end of the day I feel the communication shared by younger keepers brings a since of comfort to another young keeper just as a child being around another child of similar age is less intimidating instead of being in the middle of a bunch of grown ups and try to fit into their conversation, doesn't work out very well simply because you don't think on their level. Moral of the story, there's nothing wrong with anyone sharing their hindsight as long as it's not giving direct instruction to be used or put into action. The real life stories shared from young keepers should simply be put into perspective by a more experienced individual to accommodate the need for knowledge and wisdom of a given situation. I appreciate every thought and tid bit given on these forums because it gives validation confirmation to the methods I choose to use, is that the right way. Dunno, I'll find out soon enough though. This is my first year working my own hives and have 30 of them running strong and healthy simply due to conversation in these forums. Just my opinion, not giving advice here... Just sayin

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Big Grin Re: Please Stop...

Anyone have any good advice on raising healthy bees? haha.. Sorry, couldn't help my self...

nice post shannon. welcome to the forum.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Thank you squarepeg, I've really enjoyed this forum site. A lot of good reading and years of wisdom on here to absorb.

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    I just wish new members would search before asking their questions. So much of what is being asked has already been discussed.........ad nauseam! You get "I don't have time or want to search thru posts, so I'll just ask..........." Sometimes you just don't take the time to answer someone who won't take the time to do a little research................
    this would be a very small forum if it weren't for repeat questions with only the so called experts having peeing contests all the time. the new people can just go read a book or watch a video and they won't have any need for you experts. hey Barry how about a section for experts only. can you imagine what that would look like.
    Last edited by j.kuder; 10-11-2014 at 03:53 AM.
    first colony out of a log 1983 beekeeping about 15 years. Warning i could be an idiot. I'm from South Jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    " Sometimes you just don't take the time to answer someone who won't take the time to do a little research................
    If what I am interested in is researching then I would use sources suitable for that. Not this group. This group is for socializing. And that includes having the same certain conversations over and over. It includes having discussions with new as well as longer time beekeepers.

Nobody tells me when my experience is worth sharing. If it annoys you own up to your own choices and realize you very likely do not make choices that suit you well. You may want to work on that. you will enjoy life more. I do not do, what I do, to please you. That is your job.

In the first two years I visited this group I was told to read books among other things. I was even given specific books to read. I woudl then often answer questions from what I had read. several times, Often in fact I would be criticized for answering questions when I has so little experience. The very people that recommended I do all that reading did not even recognize it when it was put in a post. So I asked them to correct whatever they saw wrong in what I had posted. not once was anyone able to make a correction. In one instance the offended person outright admitted there offense was about nothing more than they thought I had not been a beekeeper long enough. Even though I had been a beekeeper long enough to know and share more than they had.

I know nothing about another persons ability to understand or follow advice. So I do not agree that because I post how I do things makes me responsible for them trying it and failing. The choice to follow any advice is theirs. and the responsibility for the outcome is on them. There are those that should never follow any advice offered by anyone. they are not capable of doing so. Often they simply pick some advice to follow for no other reason than to have someone to blame when they fail.
    Everything gets darker, as it goes to where there is less light. Darrel Tank (5PM drawing instructor)

Lucky me, I'm into my fourth year and therefore able to give advice without being ill thought of by internet peers of which I know nothing. My thinking is that we all have a BS meter that we filter information through. I'm a petroleum engineer with 49 years of experience, and I have received some good ideas from neophytes. Having said that, I keep a set of names in my cell phone to call for second opinions on my problems, and they are not new comers. But I have learned from beginners, so heres my take, read and listen and FILTER.

This thread is truly a wake up on the wrong side of the bed thing.

I've said it before if you can't offer anything constructive then shut up nobody is forcing you to read or respond to the same old questions. back to the original post when i'm looking for advice i always check the profile of anybody that's giving advice. people can have a few years experience and sound like they been doin it for a lifetime. but some of those people do have information worth listening to and i know it sounds absurd but even the experts might possibly learn somthing new. i'm 57 years old and i learn somthin new every day my education dosen't end untill i'm dead. when i offer input it is my observation or my limited experience if you like or agree with my input great if not move on. now go check my profile so you know weather i'm an idiot.
    first colony out of a log 1983 beekeeping about 15 years. Warning i could be an idiot. I'm from South Jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by j.kuder View Post
    weather i'm an idiot.
    Nope, not an idiot ... . I agree w/ what you wrote and I hope I do like you and learn things new and anew. It often takes experiencing something a number of time before learning what is being taught.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by j.kuder View Post
    hey Barry how about a section for experts only. can you imagine what that would look like.
    I wonder who would be the first to post in such a forum?
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonS View Post
    Anyone have any good advice on raising healthy bees? haha.. Sorry, couldn't help my self...
    Sure. Find some, put them in a box, and learn from them. Best wishes.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    It wouldn't take long before it would get polluted by some nonexpert asking a question. Even if you set it up like Tailgater. People don't seem to stay in their own pastures.

It was asked over on Facebook, "Why would someone not interested in being (something I won't mention) even want to be in this group?" Kinda reminded me of how it used to be asked why an African American would want to be part of a Country Club.

How's that for going ?
    Mark Berninghausen

they don't speak english you gota be an expert to understand them. i used to go to a convenience store where people would ignore the no parking sign and park behind ya making it very hard to back out so i thought they should change that sign to read Parking For Idiots Only. that would solve that problem. maybe birds of a feather would flock together.

People don't reads signs.

"But Officer, I'm illiterate. That's my handicap."
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    People don't reads signs.
    your right about that but nobody wants to label themselves an idiot but everybody wants to be an expert

Welllll, I'm not so sure about that. But maybe you are the expert on experts.
    Mark Berninghausen

EXPERT Ex= has been spert= drip under pressure

Mark Berninghausen

One of the things I tell my students early on is to watch youtube videos with a huge chunk of salt tucked into their cheek because a grain of salt won't do it! Lots and lots of beginners like to make videos. If it appears in print or on video it MUST be true! I've actually had to stop a lesson, turn to the student and tell them that if they already know everything because they have read such and such book that there is no reason for them to waste their time and mine on an in person lesson.

Speaking of books. Look to see where the author has been keeping bees! I'm in the south and it seems like a lot of books are written by northern beekeepers. Guess they have more time to write while it's snowing outside A lot of what they write about doesn't apply to southern beeks.

Small comment on the TF. In order to be really successful...rather than just treating with stuff all the time that is considered organic...you must truly study bees. I've been an avid student of bees for 23 years. They are still teaching me stuff. I have failed many times in order to get to the level of knowledge I am at now. I have very high survival and thrive rates, but it wasn't always this way.

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
    ― Thomas A. Edison
    28 years chemical free foundationless. Queen breeder. Hygienic prolific gentle carniolans.

Ace!

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast