Acebirds one hive - Page 2
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Default Re: Acebirds one hive

Experience is a mean teacher, but it would be a shame to waste all you've learned. Think of this as a chance to start over and do everything right.(sure) Maybe, do more stuff right. You have some extremely productive bees and plenty of woodenware.

Start with some diatomaceous earth under the hive(s) and invest $34 or a few hours in a Freeman bottom board. Clean and sanitize all of the old woodenware and give the hive a complete new home. Don't blame the mess on the queen. Blame it on the bee-keeper. You can do something about that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

As soon as I see them the traps go in. A club member made up a interesting trap. Basically a fram with a saw cut on most of the top with Plastic sides. He would pull it and freeze them.

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Yes, that thought had crossed my mind but I have never seen so many beetles. I think it is uncommon up here.
    So, where are they coming from? Have you got a large migratory apiary near you, or package/nuc bees near you that are coming from southern locations? If so, you need to be more observant and keep on top of things next year.

I have 4 hives and I saw my 1st hive beetle of the season last week. It was in a hive that I bought (everything new). It has a standard screened bottom board. All of my other hives have the freeman style bottom boards. The mulch under the hives has diatomaceous earth left over from last year.

Today I will renew the DE. Wednesday is the next warm day and that is when that hive goes onto a Freeman style bottom board.

By the way don't put those boards on and forget to change the oil. It gets really grody and turns almost solid. Not sure but it could exacerbate the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Pump the inner cover up and down.
    That is why I like beesource ... great idea Mike. Thanks
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Sawdust? Or shavings? How do you light sawdust? And keep it smoldering? And how do you keep it from pouring out the hole?
    Carefully Mark, sawdust can be explosive. You light a roll of cardboard and after it is going good you dump a hand full of sawdust on top and shake it down. When it smolders it glues together and doesn't fall through the holes in the bottom.

Laketrout, normally I use SBB but I ran out when I did splits in the spring.

Charlie, have I given advice on SHB, my bad?

OT is there something wrong with starting over?

Do you think that 5 medium boxes of honey would pay for a nuc?
    Brian Cardinal

Do you think that 5 medium boxes of honey would pay for a nuc?
    5 mediums puffed out full would be near 200 lb. More than enough to buy 2 nucs.

Quote Originally Posted by dsegrest View Post
    Experience is a mean teacher, but it would be a shame to waste all you've learned.
    What has been learned? Let's not assume things not in evidence. Sorry, Brian. You know how things look to me.
    Mark Berninghausen

Charlie, have I given advice on SHB, my bad?
    In Brian's defense, he has stuck mainly with storm prep.
    (Sorry. Couldn't resist.)

So, where are they coming from?
    They were in the first nuc I bought 3 years ago but there were never more than 5 or so beetles in the hive. Thinking SHB is not a problem in NYS and never witnessing the problem in three years I never paid attention to seeing one or two near the top cover.

There are commercial keepers in the area but I am not going to blame them. It is strictly my fault. I believe the beetles were in the boxes of honey I had in the house over the winter and when I used these frames for splits the population exploded. I caught it early and pulled the boxes off but it was late enough that they got into the other boxes. All the while I was thinking the worms were wax moth and I was advised that a strong hive could clean up wax moth damage. What perplexes me is these two hives (result of a split) kept on trucking, building in population and bringing in honey. The queenless side obviously was slower than the queen right side.

What I have learned for the future is no honey frame will go into a split without going through a freeze cycle. I think things would have been totally different if I had done that.

I am not going to buy a whole bunch of different equipment to combat SHB. No one that I know does that up hear.
    Brian Cardinal

5 mediums puffed out full would be near 200 lb. More than enough to buy 2 nucs.
    I feel the same. Certainly not something I am going to cry about.
    Brian Cardinal

You sure they are shb? I am not reading anything about comb and honey covered with slime.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by justusflynns View Post
    In Brian's defense, he has stuck mainly with storm prep.
    (Sorry. Couldn't resist.)
    Yup, I have never had one blow over.
    Brian Cardinal

SHB in NY, and perhaps also in most Northern States, is an indicator of other problems, if they get to the point where they are a problem in a bee hive. They are a symptom, not the cause.

Your hive is practically in downtown Utica, ins't it? There are no commercial/migratory beekeepers close enough to you to get SHB from them.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    You sure they are shb? I am not reading anything about comb and honey covered with slime.
    First step in the diagnosis of a problem is properly determining the circumstances and conditions. Photos of the beetles would help.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Well thinking back those first frames were full honey frames that the worms had decapped and the honey, maybe slime, was dripping down. I did taste it and it tasted like honey though.

Jim can you answer this question? Isn't it too cool now for the hive beetle to raise young? I believe the hive beetle survives the winter by hiding in the cluster. The bees break cluster in the fall off and on and then the chase begins. Should I expect the bottom boxes to be slimmed? There was no slime what so ever in the top four supers. There is three more boxes below that.
    Brian Cardinal

Brian Cardinal

Yup, small hive beetles.

Now, are there really enough of them to have caused damage to your bees and the hive they occupy? What is the condition of your colony? Queen right? Raising healthy looking brood? Has a strong enough adult bee population to Winter? Has enough honey on which to Winter?
    Mark Berninghausen

Those are the mamas all right, it's not at all unusual to see them but it's the larvae that does the damage. A strong hive can clean out the eggs but not the larvae once they get a foothold.
    Those masses of small larvae destroying and sliming everything in their path is the real threat. Yes, cool weather is your friend and your steps to freeze your honey boxes before storing them in a warm area is a very good one. A few adults may well winter through (if your hive does) but they aren't necessarily a problem.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

The point I am trying to get across is that the situation as it is now is the result, not the cause. It is the result of not fully understanding and addressing circumstances and conditions earlier in the season. It would not surprise me at all to find out that Brian's colony is actually queenless, right now. And has been so for more than a month. I'm not saying that it is. Just that it could be. And may well be.

The presence of many SHBs indicates to me deeper problems than just SHBs.
    Mark Berninghausen

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast