Beekeeping FAQ?

Thread: Beekeeping FAQ?

Default Beekeeping FAQ?

Is there such a thing that I just can't find?

If not, do you think people would look at one?

There have been many questions on feeding lately - faqs might feature a variety of approaches. A related topic is over winter prep.

If something on feeding for example was included in the "How to start Beekeeping" forum would it get looked at?
    Last edited by Andrew Dewey; 09-30-2014 at 10:45 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Beekeeping FAQ?

I'm fairly certain that Michael Bush has most of these basic beekeeping questions covered at his web site.

But if they're not covered there, most likely they'll be at Dave Cushman's website.

I once thought to make one of my own, but these two are so far ahead. I wouldn't think I could make mine, enough improvement on those two, to make much of a difference. They're both very well done.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 09-30-2014 at 09:27 AM.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Andrew; a problem I see with this is, whose point of view do you choose for the answer, lol! I remember a year or so ago some really long and hotly contested threads on the merits of feeding in any form. Same thing would apply to queen excluders or foundation etc.

Some people really want to see the answer personalized and so, though it is easily searchable, will not go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    Some people really want to see the answer personalized and so, though it is easily searchable, will not go that route.
    All too true!

I wonder when people link to Michael's site if the OPs follow through and read what Michael has posted there?

I'm going through Bee-Sentials this morning in preparation for switching to it for bee school this year. As I'm reading it I find myself wondering what a more effective way to drive self help inquiries than the site does now might look like? I'm thinking encouraging archive searches, class attendance, participating in a local club or heaven forbid, reading a book!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dewey View Post
    ...or heaven forbid, reading a book!
    Even that is debated:
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...highlight=Book

I once made the mistake of agreeing with Bjorn that it would be a good idea for beginners to read a book... 42 emotional posts later Barry locked the thread... I would be careful about suggesting that one... one of those people is still angry at me over it.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I once made the mistake of agreeing with Bjorn that it would be a good idea for beginners to read a book... 42 emotional posts later Barry locked the thread... I would be careful about suggesting that one... one of those people is still angry at me over it.
    While I suppose I would prefer that Beekeeping for All not be the book, I mainly want people to have made an effort at their own bee education. I hope that is not whining on my part.

I guess what I am looking for is that new beekeepers have intellectual skin in the game.

People have many different learning styles; some really dont learn well from the written word and find difficulty doing critical thinking while reading. They would perhaps tend to look online for the boiled down answer to their particular set of circumstances. Others, perhaps like yourself like to view different opinions, try to sort out spin, hype, agenda, lack of objectivity, flawed logic etc., and weigh one against the other. They wont be satisfied with the short answer.

It's all good!

Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I know about that FAQ - which looks to be on how to use the Board - not a Beekeeping FAQ.

I didn't do any searching there - I just went by the headings.

Am I missing something there?

It may be Barry is extremely happy with the way things are working now - and it is me that needs an attitude adjustment.

Hmmm.

That link is to an FAQ area.
    And this is a forum about beekeeping.

But the Beesource FAQ area is about the forum software, not beekeeping.

Here you can find answers to questions about how the board works. Use the links below or the search box above to find your way around.

General Forum Usage
    Setting and Profile Features
    Reading and Posting Messages

https://www.beesource.com/forums/faq.php
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I brought up the idea of creating a FAQ sometime ago.

https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...-FAQ-s-project

https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ing-the-Basics

All the content is in the archives, just need someone to mine them and pull out the best for each topic.
    Regards, Barry

Thanks for sharing the links - it was/is nice to see the thoughts of those I think of as old friends who no longer post.

It would seem that in a FAQ information would be presented in book like form, perhaps organized in such a way as to minimize material overload - whatever is done needs to be effective.