TF until today - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: TF until today

Default Re: TF until today

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    It is the way I see it Mark.

Everything I have read about OAV says that one treatment is useless. You must have several, at least 3 with all the testing and inspection that goes along with it. If you are traveling abroad you are in the same boat I am in without traveling abroad. Essentially you are not available to do the necessary things on a schedule in the bee yard. It is not just having the time it is more having the time when things are critical. If you can't do that I don't suspect you will have any better luck being a "treater" than I do not being a treater. But good luck anyway.
    Acebird, please read what I have already written. I already mentioned I would be doing 2-3 treatments. In fact, 2nd one was done today. 3rd is scheduled for next Friday. I will post results of the 2nd treatment next week.
    11 yrs, TF 6 yrs, moved to OAV in 2014, MAQS 2016. 6 hives and 5 nucs Zone 4B
    www.nhbees.wordpress.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Eyeshooter View Post
    Mark: Probably true and I also used to believe that. My personal experience finally led me to believe that if I monitor I have a better idea when to split or queen capture to break the brood cycle to reduce a blossoming mite load (which I guess are actually treatments). Some folks don't and figure the bees will work it out or not. We all do what we think is best. I guess I was not a "true TF beekeeper" tho' I never put anything into the hive that the bees did not bring in themselves except for feeding syrup only when absolutely necessary. My 2013/14 losses made me rethink my management plan and I am happy with my decision. I absolutely believe if you can bring your hive through winter without treating, go for it.

John
    I was trying to be nice by using a phrase other than "TF fanatics".
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Ace, since you HAVEN'T made up your losses, it seems a bit odd that you think that OAV takes more time to SUCCEED than what you are currently doing.
    Doesn't almost everything?
    Mark Berninghausen

Not to extend this thread, however, I said I would post results of the 2nd test and the subsequent hive inspections so here we go.

Hive 1:
    Pre-treat: 24 hour mite drop of 10 - 12
    1st treatment: 6 Days post-treat with OAV: 1,100+ dead mites
    2nd treatment: 6 days post-treat with OAV: 1,253 dead mites
    Saw the queen who is still laying. Eggs, larvae and brood look good, bees are plentiful, look and act healthy with a few dead bees in hive.

Hive 2:
    Pre-treat: 24 hour mite drop of 10 - 12
    Post-treat with powdered sugar dusting 2x 1 week apart: mite drop count remaining at 10 - 12/24 hr
    6 Days post-treat with OAV: 500+ dead mites
    2nd treatment: 6 days post-treat with OAV: 728 dead mites
    Queen is still laying but was not found. Eggs, larvae and brood look good, bees are plentiful and look/act healthy, no dead bees in hive.

Hives 3 & 4
    Hives were queenless long enough to break brood cycle in August, re-queened late August. Thinking that would nip the mite population I did not do 24 hr mite drop test prior to OAV (my bad...)

Hive 3
    1st treatment: 6 Days post-treat with OAV: about 350 dead mites.
    2nd treatment: 6 days post-treat with OAV: 296 dead mites
    Queen found and is not laying, brood has almost completely hatched, bees plentiful and look/act healthy.

Hive 4
    1st treatment: 6 days post-treat with OAV: About 250 dead mites.
    2nd treatment: 6 days post-treat with OAV: 255 dead mites
    Queen found and is not laying. Brood almost completely hatched. Bees look/act healthy

So after 2 treatments I have counted over 4,500 dead mites on sticky boards. I will treat hive 1 and 2 tomorrow but will not treat hive 3 and 4 until I do a final treatment in November when the hives should be broodless. Looking in the hives, I would never know these bees were treated. Tho' they were a bit perturbed today, it was cold (55F) and at times a bit windy. The eggs, larvae and brood looked normal as did the queen and the rest of the bees. Overall, I'm quite pleased with my choice to use OAV and look forward to seeing how they overwinter.

John
    Last edited by Eyeshooter; 10-10-2014 at 03:19 PM. Reason: punctuation
    11 yrs, TF 6 yrs, moved to OAV in 2014, MAQS 2016. 6 hives and 5 nucs Zone 4B
    www.nhbees.wordpress.com

Very satisfying result Eyeshooter, it's great when a plan comes together.

Got to say that is a LOT of mites from hives I in particular, so there will still be plenty within the brood it is imperative you follow up thoroughly to catch them when they emerge.

It will be interesting to compare results from the broodless one which should in theory, have a lower relative mite drop next treatments as most mites would have been phoretic the first time.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

I like hive #4 queen not laying and only 250 mites.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Thanks for reporting. I've been doing Apiguard treatments this Fall.....and it has been very hard on the bees. I don't see any practical way to do 3 OAV treatments a week apart....or I'd surely do that next year. I am planning a midwinter OAV.
    Good luck.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    I am planning a midwinter OAV.
    Is that a good idea?
    Brian Cardinal

He is in Georgia, Brian. It's not a bad idea midWinter in GA. In GA that may mean December.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    It's not a bad idea midWinter in GA.
    I did recognize where he is from and still wanted to ask. Thanks for the answer.
    Brian Cardinal

Things are that much different 800 miles South of Utica, NY.
    Mark Berninghausen

A midwinter OAV treatment here would usually be around December or January on a 40 - 50 degree day.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

If you are "on the fence" about OAV read post 104 by Eyeshooter.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456